Jorge Cantu

jerus9703

I would really like to see him stay but with this trade I just dont know. Common sense says that he or Uggla will be gone (I guess thats assuming they really like Gaby).

I think they are going to hold onto Danny so I really dont know whats gonna but Cantu was our most consistent hitter this season and I really want to see him back

Probably a huge stretch but has Gaby Sanchez ever played any LF??????? Than we can trade scrub hermida

Maybe they just dont have confidence in Gaby....Who knows?

Gaby has never played the outfield.

Also, Hermida is younger than Sanchez. Think about that for a second.

This franchise doesn't care if you have ever played the outfield, as long as they think you can play it adequately and you have the bat (see: Miguel Cabrera, Josh Willingham).

Miguel Cabrera was a shortstop who outgrew the position, so they moved him to LF, simply b/c of his bat and how much he was providing for the team.

Josh Willingham was a catcher, who wasn't very good at the position.

Gaby Sanchez was considered the best defensive 1B in his league this past year. Also...this time around, the Marlins no longer have holes in the OF.

If Gaby plays, he'll be playing 1B.

Gaby has never played the outfield.

Also, Hermida is younger than Sanchez. Think about that for a second.

This franchise doesn't care if you have ever played the outfield, as long as they think you can play it adequately and you have the bat (see: Miguel Cabrera, Josh Willingham).

Miguel Cabrera was a shortstop who outgrew the position, so they moved him to LF, simply b/c of his bat and how much he was providing for the team.

Josh Willingham was a catcher, who wasn't very good at the position.

Gaby Sanchez was considered the best defensive 1B in his league this past year. Also...this time around, the Marlins no longer have holes in the OF.

If Gaby plays, he'll be playing 1B.

Yea, and when Cabrera moved from SS, he was put at third base. I believe he played ONE minor league game in LF before being called up on June 22nd, 2003. ONE GAME.

Willingham was a guy who played third, then catcher, and was blocked everywhere on the field. They threw him into left field, because we finally had a need.

If first base is ultimately blocked, you don't know what they're going to do. I don't see Sanchez making any transitions, either, but the possibility is always out there.

I would really like to see him stay but with this trade I just dont know. Common sense says that he or Uggla will be gone (I guess thats assuming they really like Gaby).

I think they are going to hold onto Danny so I really dont know whats gonna but Cantu was our most consistent hitter this season and I really want to see him back

Probably a huge stretch but has Gaby Sanchez ever played any LF??????? Than we can trade scrub hermida

Maybe they just dont have confidence in Gaby....Who knows?

Cantu would probably be a better fit in LF if you had to move one of them. I would think it's a given that Sanchez would be the better defender at 1B, so if you're gonna play both of them, keep the more solid defender in the IF. Cantu has plenty of arm strength (even if his accuracy is somewhat lacking) to play the OF.

But either way, I agree on dumping off Hermida, since I don't think (and the team seemed to agree towards the end of the season) that he belongs in the starting lineup, and he's not worth it as a bench player. If he gets another opportunity somewhere else and blossoms, good for him. He wouldn't be the first. But if we're trying to contend next year then he doesn't belong.

I'll still say that if we were gonna try to fit in everyone we have without expecting anyone new coming in, I would fit them in like this:

C Baker

1B Sanchez

2B Uggla

SS Ramirez

3B McPherson

LF Cantu

CF Maybin

RF Ross

Cantu's floated around already between 3 different positions in the IF, so I think also he's a guy we can have confidence in that he has the ability to adjust.

assuming Bonafacio plays 3B (which is a big time assumption) and the fish keep Uggla (another assumption) I dont see there being an open competition at 1B....The way Cantu played last year there is almost no way that Sanchez or Dallas would be him out even if he has a poor Spring.............Which makes me think (under the great aforementioned assumptions) that the team isnt in love with Gaby at the moment

What do you guys think

anyone who thinks Admin Beinfest is an average GM should lose their right to ever speak again

Hermida sucks----cant hit or field--------i wish they traded him instead of hammer

Maybe an above average GM would have traded the guy who put up an .870 in the majors as a 23 year old instead of the 30 year old with a gimpy back?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.