Juan Encarnacion

canada-marlin24

right so i forgot about the 24 home runs and 85 rbi he hit in 2002 when he was traded to the marlins and then in 2003 hit 19 home runs and 94 rbi along with a 1.000 fielding percentage in right field. Oh yeah and then followed that up in 2005 with .287 16 home runs and 76 rbi to go with 19 home runs and 79 rbi the next year.

oops and I forgot the two 19 game hitting streaks that he had along with a 227 game errorless streak. Some of the guys on this board are just plain assholes. You guys dont know sh*t.

right so i forgot about the 24 home runs and 85 rbi he hit in 2002 when he was traded to the marlins and then in 2003 hit 19 home runs and 94 rbi along with a 1.000 fielding percentage in right field. Oh yeah and then followed that up in 2005 with .287 16 home runs and 76 rbi to go with 19 home runs and 79 rbi the next year.

oops and I forgot the two 19 game hitting streaks that he had along with a 227 game errorless streak. Some of the guys on this board are just plain assholes. You guys dont know sh*t.

Batting average, home runs, and RBI's are not legitimate stats.

Congrats on using the possibly worst measurements on how "great" he was.

By your standards, was Mike Jacobs a "solid player" too?

They're legitimate... they're just not very good assessments for how good a player is

They're legitimate... they're just not very good assessments for how good a player is

Personally, I don't think they can be used to measue any aspect of a hitter. They are too reliant on other factors during an at-bat, unlike stats such as OBP, or OPS, which are much more independent. No stat is perfect, but some are definitely more useful than others.

Congrats on using the possibly worst measurements on how "great" he was.

By your standards, was Mike Jacobs a "solid player" too?

He actually does think that.

Y'know...it's pretty amazing.

Hermida gets criticized for lack of effort...Encarnacion wasn't exactly "Mr.Effort," yet people here loved him.

Hermida is actually a better player than Encarnacion, yet by some of the comments on here of the two...you'd think otherwise.

Encarnacion went out there everyday injured or not, where as Hermida has missed time for everything from a pulled uterus to a hangnail and if he's a better player he sure as hell hasn't demonstrated it.

Solid player? For f***'s sake, people are down on guys on this team that have better numbers than him. There was very little to like about Encarnacion as an every day player.

I liked the fact that he only struck out 100 times once in a Marlin uniform. And the fact that he drove in 94 runs on our 2003 championship team. And the fact that he didn't commit an error in right field for like, ever. And he had a very good arm. And solid speed.

Not much to hate about Juan. He was pretty solid. I'd take Ross over Encarnacion, but they are very comparable players.

The difference is in perception. When Encarnacion came to the Marlins, you weren't expecting much more than what he already was. Hermida was always expected to be so much more than he has shown so far. The great 'upside' and the 'breakout year' get discussed each year. Even if both players had been equal offensively, they would never be viewed the same due to the expectations for each.

Defensively though, I'd pick Encarnacion every time (at least to this point of Hermida's career.)

• 2 weeks later...

Solid player? For f***'s sake, people are down on guys on this team that have better numbers than him. There was very little to like about Encarnacion as an every day player.

I liked the fact that he only struck out 100 times once in a Marlin uniform. And the fact that he drove in 94 runs on our 2003 championship team. And the fact that he didn't commit an error in right field for like, ever. And he had a very good arm. And solid speed.

Not much to hate about Juan. He was pretty solid. I'd take Ross over Encarnacion, but they are very comparable players.

Strikeouts are irrelevant, RBIs are not a measurement of batting prowess. I liked his arm, and that is about that. He was not a good offensive player for corner OF. The list of most similar batters is a who's who of "What the f***?" starting with Jacque Jones. Leave any average hitter out there for 150 games in the 5 and 6 slots and the will put up 90 RBIs.

Strikeouts are irrelevant, RBIs are not a measurement of batting prowess. I liked his arm, and that is about that. He was not a good offensive player for corner OF. The list of most similar batters is a who's who of "What the f***?" starting with Jacque Jones. Leave any average hitter out there for 150 games in the 5 and 6 slots and the will put up 90 RBIs.

Mike Jacobs is a prime example.

You're right. Nothing could be more useless than seeing how many RUNS a guy creates. I'm not saying he was a good player, because he really wasn't, but to render stats like RBI and average useless is foolish, just like completely ignoring slugging and OBP would be dumb too.

The bottom line is this- a guy who creates over 90 RBI is pretty solid even if he's not spectacular.

You're right. Nothing could be more useless than seeing how many RUNS a guy creates. I'm not saying he was a good player, because he really wasn't, but to render stats like RBI and average useless is foolish, just like completely ignoring slugging and OBP would be dumb too.

The bottom line is this- a guy who creates over 90 RBI is pretty solid even if he's not spectacular.

Not necessarily true, given enough opportunities, anyone can pump out 90 RBIs if they're mediocre across the line

An infamous Phillies outfielder in 1950, Del Ennis... he once left over 500 (!!!!!) guys on base... that season he hit 31 HRs and 126 RBIs

His line that year was also .311/.372/.551

The following year he had 73 RBIs and a .267/.352/.408 line in 9 fewer games - give a guy enough chances and he'll produce