Tuesday's Starter - John Koronka?

Trying to read the smoke signals coming out of New Orleans, but several signs are pointing to John Koronka as the Marlins' starter in Milwaukee on Tuesday.

Koronka's name was conspicuously absent from the list of upcoming probables posted inside the Zephyrs clubhouse on Saturday. Where his name should have been listed, next to Monday's game in Albuquerque, was a "TBA" -- to be announced. And Daniel Barone, who is the other logical candidate for that start in Milwaukee, IS listed as Tuesday's starter for New Orleans.

Not that those things can't change, and the Marlins could always turn to Burke Badenhop or Hayden Penn, but.....

Koronka made a good impression on the Marlins during spring training when he pitched out of the bullpen, but he has been particuarly impressive in his last two outings -- both starts -- at Triple A. He went five innings without allowing a run on May 1 to earn the win, and did the same in his May 6 start -- 5 innings, no runs, and only three hits.

Koronka, a lefty, is 28, made 23 starts for the Texas Rangers in 2006 (7-7, 5.69 ERA), and shouldn't be rattled by a call-up assignment.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_bytes/...hn-koronka.html

Kronka starting would completely suck. His biggest sample size in the majors was with Texas in 06. Pitched 125 innings, 5.69 ERA with a WHIP of 1.54 and the opposing teams batting .294 against him. I have no interest in him or Barone pitching for us, let Meyer, Penn, or Badenhop get the start, preferably Hopper.

Koronka in the last 2 weeks in AAA:

five innings without allowing a run on May 1 to earn the win, and did the same in his May 6 start -- 5 innings, no runs, and only three hits.

Or, Koronka 3 years ago in MLB:

125 innings, 5.69 ERA with a WHIP of 1.54 and the opposing teams batting .294

Yes, we all know that AAA hitters ain't the equivalent of real MLB hitters. But, could he possibly have somehow improved? Could he possibly have learned a thing or two that was somehow useful to his approach to pitching in the last 3 years?

Maybe.

I'd rather take a chance on Koronka than burning up a bullpen arm (regardless of whether or not he was a starter at some previous point in time) trying to stretch him out for an assumed 5+ innings.

Maybe Koronka will get bombed if he gets the start, maybe not. I assume that Beinfest and others know a little more about the probabilities than we do, and that will likely dictate the decision.

I hate when people just default to "I bet Beinfest and co know more about this than we do".

Why? It's an absolute certainty that Beinfest, et al know a whole lot more than anyone here or anywhere else. Assuming Loria isn't posting here.

You are basically saying there's no discussing or 2nd guessing any move made by the team.

Not at all. All I said was that Koronka may have learned a few things and might be a good option, but that Beinfest, et al would make the decision. Almost certainly based on better knowledge than we have.

Based on the limited facts I have, I'd take a chance on him, but what do I really know? Others may differ.

Beinfest may differ.

The LAST thing I'd EVER suggest is that there's no discussing or second-guessing any move.

I wouldn't mind it if Koronka got the call for long relief.

At the end of the day, all of these candidates are pretty mediocre, but I think the spot should be given to someone who deserves the spot. That someone would be Burke Badenhop, at the moment. For what it's worth, Badenhop also has more upside than Koronka.

Oye Beinfest compadre sign pedro y ya!

Why? He won't be ready for at least 3 weeks to a month, he'll probably put up bad numbers, and that's all assuming he stays healthy.

I didnt know he is still injured...but right nowi would take him over any AAA pitcher....are there any other FA or possible trades we can make by the deadline.

Oye Beinfest compadre sign pedro y ya!

Why? He won't be ready for at least 3 weeks to a month, he'll probably put up bad numbers, and that's all assuming he stays healthy.

I didnt know he is still injured...but right nowi would take him over any AAA pitcher....are there any other FA or possible trades we can make by the deadline.

He's not still injured, but you can't just sign him and expect him to start right away, since he hasn't pitched since early March and barely pitched then. The man would have to go to the minors before coming up.

Oh, and the reason you would take him over any AAA pitcher is because his name is Pedro Martinez. Besides that, there is really no reasoning to it.

Would much rather stretch out one of Meyer/Badenhop, suffer through a couple games of 3-4 IP, then 4-5 IP, because we need a starter for atleast 2 months, very possibly all season.

Rich had an interesting tidbit on Meyer this season, that Wiley taught him a cut fastball this ST. Sound familiar, Ricky Nolasco last year? I'm not saying Meyer is going to go put up a Ricky year but his stats this year have been GREAT (13.1 IP, 14 Ks, just 3 walks, 1 hr), actually doing better against RHB than LHB and does not have drastic splits in the minors. He is an extreme FB pitcher, going to give up XBHs.

For whatever it's worth (probably not much) Koronka looked terrible in ST.

stats:

small sample size of only 8 IP, also just had 2 Ks but also only had 2 walks. HR and 3 ER.

His AAA ERA of 3 is also pretty and all but he's given up 4 HRs in that time period (27 IP), and 24/11 K/BB isn't exactly impressive though it also isn't bad.

Would much rather stretch out one of Meyer/Badenhop, suffer through a couple games of 3-4 IP, then 4-5 IP, because we need a starter for atleast 2 months, very possibly all season.

Rich had an interesting tidbit on Meyer this season, that Wiley taught him a cut fastball this ST. Sound familiar, Ricky Nolasco last year? I'm not saying Meyer is going to go put up a Ricky year but his stats this year have been GREAT (13.1 IP, 14 Ks, just 3 walks, 1 hr), actually doing better against RHB than LHB and does not have drastic splits in the minors. He is an extreme FB pitcher, going to give up XBHs.

Stamina would be my biggest concern with Meyer. Also, he's been very good in short spurts out of the pen and, without a sure lefty in the wings, would be risky to try and replace. In any case he pitched in the game today.

With Maybin being sent down, the 5th starter probably won't come out of the pen.

Stamina would be my biggest concern with Meyer. Also, he's been very good in short spurts out of the pen and, without a sure lefty in the wings, would be risky to try and replace. In any case he pitched in the game today.

With Maybin being sent down, the 5th starter probably won't come out of the pen.

My personal thing would be to just take the couple sh*tty low inning starts of Meyer, take the 3-4 ip start first time around, 4-5 ip start second and third time around. The issue is that we need a SP for atleast two months, which is atleast 12 starts. And that's if we're lucky. Most likely Anibal is out for longer, very possibily the entire year. If we only needed 1-2 starts, yeah, don't stretch him out. But we need a lot of starts from someone and I very much doubt Kornoka is the answer. Meyer is about the only guy I have faith in that's been named (in the FA market or in our bp/system) that could approach a 4-4.5 ERA mark. Everyone else I'd be expecting a 5 ERA out of him, at which point it comes down to who gives us the most IP per start (Byrd probably is the best, but Badenhop coud very possibily gives us 6 each time).

But Koronka is a lefty and already stretched out. Although looking at his MILB splits, he'd be a lot better suited in the LOOGY roll then Meyer. Meyer doesn't have much of a split difference, not th case with Koronka (3.88 FIP/1.17 WHIP against LHB, 4.92 FIP/1.50 WHIP against RHB)