Tuesday's Starter - John Koronka?

I feel, Koronka smells of miserable Hendrickson.

It would be bad timing for lefty Koronka against Brew-crew.

There are lots of regular righty hitters.

Below stat shows it.

2009 Brewers

vs. Lefty : .261(ranked NL #7) / .361(#4) / .430(#7)

vs. Righty : .256(#7) / .345(#5) / ..437(#3)

My personal thing would be to just take the couple sh*tty low inning starts of Meyer, take the 3-4 ip start first time around, 4-5 ip start second and third time around. The issue is that we need a SP for atleast two months, which is atleast 12 starts. And that's if we're lucky. Most likely Anibal is out for longer, very possibily the entire year. If we only needed 1-2 starts, yeah, don't stretch him out. But we need a lot of starts from someone and I very much doubt Kornoka is the answer. Meyer is about the only guy I have faith in that's been named (in the FA market or in our bp/system) that could approach a 4-4.5 ERA mark. Everyone else I'd be expecting a 5 ERA out of him, at which point it comes down to who gives us the most IP per start (Byrd probably is the best, but Badenhop coud very possibily gives us 6 each time).

But Koronka is a lefty and already stretched out. Although looking at his MILB splits, he'd be a lot better suited in the LOOGY roll then Meyer. Meyer doesn't have much of a split difference, not th case with Koronka (3.88 FIP/1.17 WHIP against LHB, 4.92 FIP/1.50 WHIP against RHB)

But if we can develop Meyer into a consistent lefty out of the pen we can retain for 4-5 years, that's more important than trying to get 8-10 starts out of him right now. Not that would necessarily screw him up, but I don't want to mess with something that's working in such an infant stage.

And seriously, call up Koronka. Why can't we go Meyer 2+, Badenhop 2+, Koronka 2+. We've just covered 6-7 innings, and still have relievers to get the rest of the outs. And if it's a blowout either way, just keep Koronka going and eat innings. It wouldn't tax the pen. Just keep 2 guys off limits to use in the next day's game, and go pen crazy for the 5th starter with the other '6' relievers.

All I'm saying is, limit second looks on all of these guys. Try to get them through the lineup once. Try to mess with them going L/R/L, then presumably another right hander with the 4th pitcher into the game. Lou Pinella always threatened he'd pitch 9 guys for 1 innings in Tampa. We may not be able to go that far, but we have a cool opportunity to try and use 3 'long relievers' in 2-3 inning bursts and remove them everytime they get back to the # 3 (Utley, Beltran, Dunn, Chipper), and make them get a different look and not sit on one of those grapefruit sinkers Badenhop dishes.

But if we can develop Meyer into a consistent lefty out of the pen we can retain for 4-5 years, that's more important than trying to get 8-10 starts out of him right now. Not that would necessarily screw him up, but I don't want to mess with something that's working in such an infant stage.

I'm just way too scared that we're going to need more than 8-10 starts.

The FO says Anibal's only out for two months. But they don't exactly have a track record of correctly diagnosing pitcher injuries. How many times the past several years have we heard a pitcher is needs rest for a couple months, he comes back (that's if he comes back at all, anyway), is absolute ass, and ends up getting season ending surgery? I'm barely more optimistic about Anibal returning than I am about Proctor returning.

And there's also the possibility of needing a arm next year, and West isn't exactly invoking confidence so far that he'll be ready by then. I mean yeah I know, trade Uggla and Ross and et al for arms arms arms, but that doesn't guarentee getting a MLB ready starting arm, and I'd hope (and I believe) the FO would get the better talent even if the player(s) aren't ready, since they would help more long term.

The 2 IP each thing is certainly interesting but you know it isn't going to happen.

I'm just way too scared that we're going to need more than 8-10 starts.

The FO says Anibal's only out for two months. But they don't exactly have a track record of correctly diagnosing pitcher injuries. How many times the past several years have we heard a pitcher is needs rest for a couple months, he comes back (that's if he comes back at all, anyway), is absolute ass, and ends up getting season ending surgery? I'm barely more optimistic about Anibal returning than I am about Proctor returning.

And there's also the possibility of needing a arm next year, and West isn't exactly invoking confidence so far that he'll be ready by then. I mean yeah I know, trade Uggla and Ross and et al for arms arms arms, but that doesn't guarentee getting a MLB ready starting arm, and I'd hope (and I believe) the FO would get the better talent even if the player(s) aren't ready, since they would help more long term.

The 2 IP each thing is certainly interesting but you know it isn't going to happen.

Well between trading Uggla/Ross/Amezaga, and progression from West, Thompson, Trahern, and even Taylor, you'd hope you could handle the 5th SP slot and 'spots' for next year. I think that is enough. Plus they'd also have an 'extra' $2+ million to play with if Anibal isn't on the roster, and that could buy some help and still have around a $40 million payroll (that's assuming the expected Uggla/Ross/Amezaga/Pinto/All FA defection).

But the main point, assuming Anibal is done... if Nolasco and Miller do not get their acts together, we are not a contender even with developing another SP like Meyer. I hate to say it, but we might as well slum the 5th starter for 4-6 weeks and see if those two get on track before making a solid determination on a 5th. If it's still the end of June and Nolasco and Miller are in 1.50 whipsville, and we're still at a negative run differential, who really cares. We're going to be sellers and start reloading for next year. I know that's a pretty negative take on the matter, but it's pretty much true. And if Nolasco/Miller shape up and we're within 5 games or better of the division lead in July, then we can figure something out. I mean, I'd love to sign Paul Byrd or Odalis Perez right now, stretch them out for 2-3 weeks, and have a legitimate 5th starter come June 1st, but I don't see us spending 2 bills to do this. I hate the wait and see approach, but I guess we have to put up with this for another 2-3 years until the stadium.