Marlins sign Mike Lamb

gizmo

Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post tweets that the Marlins have agreed to terms with infielder Mike Lamb on a minor league deal.

Lamb also received an invite to spring training, but will need to hit better than he did in 2009 to make the club. He spent the year with Triple-A Buffalo, posting just a .261/.299/.370 line in 466 plate appearances.

More details as they come.

Mike Lamb was once an ok player, now he's ewwy (that is about as in depth as I can get when it comes to Mike Lamb).

However, without Mike Lamb, Gary Matthews Jr doesn't make one of the greatest web gems of all time.

Welcome to the Marlins Lambo!

Mike Lamb was once an ok player, now he's ewwy (that is about as in depth as I can get when it comes to Mike Lamb).

However, without Mike Lamb, Gary Matthews Jr doesn't make one of the greatest web gems of all time.

Welcome to the Marlins Lambo!

The next name for the stadium could be Lambo Field.......

This is good because its a Minor League deal, period. We need someone to replace Gload and I'm glad we have an extra option or two now. What we're doing with the bullpen is what we should be doing for Gload's lefty-pinch-hit spot...that is, gathering up minor league contracts on the hope that someone breaks out with the job.

Speaking of former Houston third basemen...what happened to Morgan Ensberg?

He and Lamb had concurrent drop offs in performance but Ensberg always had a much better bat. I don't know if he's a FA, but that would have been a much better signing.

EDIT: Looks like Ensberg retired because nobody wanted him.

The price was right to take a chance on Lamb. He is a .277 career hitter in the majors so maybe he can bounce back. If not the Marlins can just cut him.

We finally made a move that made Backin2008 happy!

And we did it, of course, by signing a guy on the wrong side of 30 who hasn't played in the majors since 2008 and who hasn't been good since 2007!

Let it never be said you aren't consistent.

The price was right to take a chance on Lamb. He is a .277 career hitter in the majors so maybe he can bounce back. If not the Marlins can just cut him.

And we did it, of course, by signing a guy on the wrong side of 30 who hasn't played in the majors since 2008 and who hasn't been good since 2007!

I didn't say I was excited about it because I'm not. All I said is that it doesn't hurt to give him a chance. It's not like the Marlins are loaded with alternatives.

I didn't say I was excited about it because I'm not. All I said is that it doesn't hurt to give him a chance. It's not like the Marlins are loaded with alternatives.

You could say the same thing for all of these other signings you've been disliking.

In the scheme of things signing Mike Lamb and having it mean anything other than a AAA at best signing (this time of year you'll see GMs and their cohorts signing guys like Lamb to do a favor for an agent or someone) means a number of players ahead of him on the depth charts have to either get injured, fall flat on their faces or get caught in a restroom of the opposite sex for them to break camp at the beginning of April.

Lamb, as Lou said, is fodder for New Orleans and I know we're all bored waiting for things to start but geez this signing is neither symbolic of a front office strategy or much else, it is what it is.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.