Jersey Question

canada-marlin24

So I know that the grey roads will now say "marlins" which sucks but does that also mean they removed the F on the sleeve of every jersey?

Also, anyone know why we seem to not wear the official ST hats when its ST?

The "F" is gone from all 3 jersey's sleeves in addition to the aways saying "Marlins" instead of "Florida"(both changes totally f---ing pointless since the "F" is still on the caps, the most visible part of a baseball uniform).

I'm happy to no end that we finally got the ballpark, and MLB baseball is staying in South Florida, but the Florida Marlins, the teal and black, the team I grew up with, are still leaving and it sucks

So I know that the grey roads will now say "marlins" which sucks but does that also mean they removed the F on the sleeve of every jersey?

Has there been any pictures posted of the new road jerseys? I'd like to reserve judgment about them until I see them.

Has there been any pictures posted of the new road jerseys? I'd like to reserve judgment about them until I see them.

this whole deal is absolutely pointless.....again the stadium is great but miami marlins sounds like sh*t and if this is what they do 2 seasons before they need to change....then im pretty scared to see what the new jerseys and colors will be.

its just so stupid.....did the rays remove the green stitching from the back left jersey number before they changed designs so that way they could "transition". useless.

we should petition to bring the at least the sleeves back until 2012

this whole deal is absolutely pointless.....again the stadium is great but miami marlins sounds like sh*t and if this is what they do 2 seasons before they need to change....then im pretty scared to see what the new jerseys and colors will be.

its just so stupid.....did the rays remove the green stitching from the back left jersey number before they changed designs so that way they could "transition". useless.

This is one of the silliest arguments I've ever heard. The two situations are so unconnected it's almost funny. Almost.

This is one of the silliest arguments I've ever heard. The two situations are so unconnected it's almost funny. Almost.

the actually are connected and the rays knew that they were going to change jerseys and they did not feel the need"Transition" to new jerseys by removing the word "devil" the year before. its just a waste of time.

the actually are connected and the rays knew that they were going to change jerseys and they did not feel the need"Transition" to new jerseys by removing the word "devil" the year before. its just a waste of time.

Yeah, that wasn't a 3-year transitional period into a legally mandated change to their location name.

Secondly, the LAST thing the Rays wanted was for the new name to be associated with the old name, they were trying to completely change the culture, not transition. We're just changing our location name because we have to.

I don't know why so many people struggle with the logic behind the uniform switch and fail to recognize how the situation is different from what other teams practiced.

Tampa could not have done a premature switch to ease the transition because they had nothing to replace the script with. This is assuming that the timeline you are describing is accurate (I haven't fact checked this).

Hypothetically, even if Tampa new well in advance that they would be switching from Devil Rays to Rays (again, I don't even know how true this is), they would have to undergo drastic alterations immediately to replace the script. They had nothing to replace it with, unless they wanted to take the highly unconventional route and put the name of the city on their home uniforms.

The Marlins had a simple and painless alteration to make. They had the "Marlins" script ready to go because it was identical to the one already being used on the home jerseys and alternates. Having the name of the city/state on the road uniform, while being in the minority, is not unconventional. This was a simple cut and paste job.

I can understand people not liking the appearance of the switch, but don't pretend that there is no logic behind it.

Yeah, that wasn't a 3-year transitional period into a legally mandated change to their location name.

Secondly, the LAST thing the Rays wanted was for the new name to be associated with the old name, they were trying to completely change the culture, not transition. We're just changing our location name because we have to.

We have to change names in 2012, not now. The team is still the Florida Marlins. I only have a beef with the 2010 modifications(and the near certain changing of the team's colors come 2012). If you're going to leave the "F" on the caps, and the team is still legally the Florida Marlins, there is really no reason to change the uniforms.

I'm fine with the team changing names, I'd prefer them to stay the Florida Marlins but Miami stepped up and helped get the ballpark built. But to muck up the last few years of the Florida Marlins with pointless silly uniform changes to try and "ease" people into the new name irks me to no end. Every serious Marlins fan knows they are changing the name. Most of the casual fans know too. This removal of the sleeve "F" and changing of the road uniforms is just change for the sake of change and it's stupid.

We have to change names in 2012, not now. The team is still the Florida Marlins. I only have a beef with the 2010 modifications(and the near certain changing of the team's colors come 2012). If you're going to leave the "F" on the caps, and the team is still legally the Florida Marlins, there is really no reason to change the uniforms.

I'm fine with the team changing names, I'd prefer them to stay the Florida Marlins but Miami stepped up and helped get the ballpark built. But to muck up the last few years of the Florida Marlins with pointless silly uniform changes to try and "ease" people into the new name irks me to no end. Every serious Marlins fan knows they are changing the name. Most of the casual fans know too. This removal of the sleeve "F" and changing of the road uniforms is just change for the sake of change and it's stupid.

thank you lol

Should have been Miami Marlins from the start.

Florida Marlins made no sense....thanks to Wayne for that blunder....

I think calling the team "Florida" Marlins was wise at the time. Tampa and I think Orlando were competing with Miami for the team. Tampa already had the stadium ready and had tried previously to get both Chicago AL and the SF Giants (and I think one other team) to relocate there. I don't know all of the politics of the deal but I think it's a bit surprising Tampa didn't get a team before Miami did.

Calling the team the "Florida" Marlins at least tries to unite the three different Florida markets for the Marlins before anyone knew that Tampa would eventually get their own team a few years down the road.

Exactly. And it wasn't just an effort to unite Orlando and Tampa, but all of FL. The Marlins were Florida's first MLB team after being the main ST home for MLB for so many years. They wanted the whole state to identify with this team, not just South Florida, especially with much of FL being Braves fans by proxy. I bought into this fully- I got my first Marlins shirt right after the expansion team was awarded. However, now that the Rays exist and Miami/Dade is building the stadium w/o state dollars, it's harder to justify keeping the name Florida. Aside from the pockets of us that DO exist, the state-wide support dwindled (one could argue this the Marlins own fault, but I digress). I've come to terms with the name change after initially being distraut; at first, I felt the fans outside of So. FL that love this team so much were in effect, being excluded. However, I realized if the name change was so important to city and county commissioners to make it part of the deal, that if that's what it took to keep the team in FL, so be it.

I'm personally not nearly concerned with the short-term uniform transitioning as I am the apparant wholesale redesign of our identity that is coming in 2 years. Teal has been a part of this team for nearly 20 years, and while the overuse in the first several years was comical at best, I feel the 97-02 unifroms struck the right balance between teal and black. Our current color scheme is unique in baseball and classy, no reason to throw it away for change's sake.

I think calling the team "Florida" Marlins was wise at the time. Tampa and I think Orlando were competing with Miami for the team. Tampa already had the stadium ready and had tried previously to get both Chicago AL and the SF Giants (and I think one other team) to relocate there. I don't know all of the politics of the deal but I think it's a bit surprising Tampa didn't get a team before Miami did.

Calling the team the "Florida" Marlins at least tries to unite the three different Florida markets for the Marlins before anyone knew that Tampa would eventually get their own team a few years down the road.

Exactly. And it wasn't just an effort to unite Orlando and Tampa, but all of FL. The Marlins were Florida's first MLB team after being the main ST home for MLB for so many years. They wanted the whole state to identify with this team, not just South Florida, especially with much of FL being Braves fans by proxy. I bought into this fully- I got my first Marlins shirt right after the expansion team was awarded. However, now that the Rays exist and Miami/Dade is building the stadium w/o state dollars, it's harder to justify keeping the name Florida. Aside from the pockets of us that DO exist, the state-wide support dwindled (one could argue this the Marlins own fault, but I digress). I've come to terms with the name change after initially being distraut; at first, I felt the fans outside of So. FL that love this team so much were in effect, being excluded. However, I realized if the name change was so important to city and county commissioners to make it part of the deal, that if that's what it took to keep the team in FL, so be it.

I'm personally not nearly concerned with the short-term uniform transitioning as I am the apparant wholesale redesign of our identity that is coming in 2 years. Teal has been a part of this team for nearly 20 years, and while the overuse in the first several years was comical at best, I feel the 97-02 unifroms struck the right balance between teal and black. Our current color scheme is unique in baseball and classy, no reason to throw it away for change's sake.

This.

I find it hard to believe that, if the team does drop teal, that they will come out of any rebranding effort with an identity as unique as the teal and black. The Jacksonville Jaguars and San Jose Sharks are the only pro teams that even come close, and the Jags have LA written all over them.

There is way too much blue and red in MLB. There are two well established teams that feature orange and black as prominent colors. Nobody has teal but the Fish. Although I agree that the 97-02 look was best, I could live with a continuation of the current black/sliver/teal look moving forward.

I for one vow to not buy or wear any Miami Marlins gear unless it has teal on it. Our team may not have 100+ years of history like some teams, history that makes their colors and identities untouchable, but dammit this is my team. I think two WS titles and a generation of South Floridians who grew up with this team like myself are enough to justify not scrapping our entire identity. Changing to Miami Marlins, fine, I'll deal. But keep the colors. Any marketing person or graphic designer(which I happen to be) with any sense will tell you you don't scrap a totally unique color scheme and brand identity in favor of something that will probably end up looking like one(or more) of your competitors.

We're just starting to really develop a true fanbase and baseball identity in this town and to start all over after nearly two decades is downright stupid. It's not like we we're the Buccaneers or something, a team that flat out sucked for 20 years before revamping the team's look. In the Marlins' case I don't think there is any justifiable reason for the team to try and distance itself it's first 18 seasons.

I'll feel just as outraged if the Marlins lose teal as a Yankees fan would if they got rid of pinstripes and changed to green and brown.

That was a bit of a tangent and semi-off topic but I cant help but rant about the likely color change..

This.

I find it hard to believe that, if the team does drop teal, that they will come out of any rebranding effort with an identity as unique as the teal and black. The Jacksonville Jaguars and San Jose Sharks are the only pro teams that even come close, and the Jags have LA written all over them.

There is way too much blue and red in MLB. There are two well established teams that feature orange and black as prominent colors. Nobody has teal but the Fish. Although I agree that the 97-02 look was best, I could live with a continuation of the current black/sliver/teal look moving forward.

I for one vow to not buy or wear any Miami Marlins gear unless it has teal on it. Our team may not have 100+ years of history like some teams, history that makes their colors and identities untouchable, but dammit this is my team. I think two WS titles and a generation of South Floridians who grew up with this team like myself are enough to justify not scrapping our entire identity. Changing to Miami Marlins, fine, I'll deal. But keep the colors. Any marketing person or graphic designer(which I happen to be) with any sense will tell you you don't scrap a totally unique color scheme and brand identity in favor of something that will probably end up looking like one(or more) of your competitors.

We're just starting to really develop a true fanbase and baseball identity in this town and to start all over after nearly two decades is downright stupid. It's not like we we're the Buccaneers or something, a team that flat out sucked for 20 years before revamping the team's look. In the Marlins' case I don't think there is any justifiable reason for the team to try and distance itself it's first 18 seasons.

I'll feel just as outraged if the Marlins lose teal as a Yankees fan would if they got rid of pinstripes and changed to green and brown.

That was a bit of a tangent and semi-off topic but I cant help but rant about the likely color change..

We stole teal from the Mariners.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.