Cameron Maybin in CF

Sirspud

I'm not very impressed with Maybin's CF playing today, and while I've always heard good things about his defense I've never seen him do anything all that exceptional in CF during his time in the majors. It seems like all major league teams will, by default, put the athletic player in CF regardless of instincts or having the extraordinary ability to adjust one's body to make a tough catch. I've not seen anything out of maybe like that, but I did see a ton of it from Ross last year. I actually posed the question to Rich and Tommy last year but didn't get an answer, but I wondered why if the Marlins were getting what everyone seemed to view as a GG caliber performance out of Ross then they would shift him over to accommodate Maybin. It almost seems hypocritical for the team to believe that Ross is deserving of a GG, yet shift him to a lesser defensive position to another player who is assumed to be by default a better fielder just because of more athleticism.

I think its entirely possible that Maybin will be a downgrade in CF, even if having Ross instead of Hermida improves the OF defense overall.

I think most of us expected that. Cody Ross was arguably one of the best defensive CFers in the game, but the point is to have the best defensive OF, even if it's a downgrade at one position. I'm not gonna judge Maybin on game 1. If your problem is with Maybin's route running, that sure as hell isn't going to improve in RF when you have to rundown balls that curve.

I think most of us expected that. Cody Ross was arguably one of the best defensive CFers in the game, but the point is to have the best defensive OF, even if it's a downgrade at one position. I'm not gonna judge Maybin on game 1. If your problem is with Maybin's route running, that sure as hell isn't going to improve in RF when you have to rundown balls that curve.

I'm not just referring to route running as Maybin has let a couple balls drop that he could have gotten to. And that's something that a CFer gets exposed to more than any other outfielder, at least as far as I've seen. Overall, with the sheer variety and amount of balls that a CFer has to play, and also the way they have to be in sync with 4 fielders around them, I think its much more important to have an absolute rock of a defender in CF than it is to have your best fielder stashed in Rf for the occasional really tough balls, which I'm well aware of are the most difficult in RF.

Honestly, I know is just one game and all, but mediocre defense cost us five runs just so far today. A more solid CFer may have stopped 2 or 3 of those from scoring.

As someone else pointed out, I'll start worrying about his defense if this keeps up when it's not a day game with 22 MPH winds.

I agree. Im more worried about the fact that he looked terrible at the plate and let the ball drop without giving really much effort than his route running or ability to read the ball. with that being said it was the first game and he was not the only problem. if he is the biggest problem we have this year i think we will be fine

I'm way more concerned about Gaby Sanchez's defense. Apparently nobody ever taught him to stretch at first base. No excuses there, just poor fundamentals.

Yeah, wth? That's gotta be worked on. Perferrably starting tomorrow. Was he not stretching for balls all through spring?

Guest Guest

Maybin looked worse at the plate today than he did in the field. That long swing he has really worries me.

As far as fielding goes, it seems to be more of an issue of him either playing too deep or too shallow at the wrong times. Perhaps there needs to be more communication between Maybin and the dugout.

I'm way more concerned about Gaby Sanchez's defense. Apparently nobody ever taught him to stretch at first base. No excuses there, just poor fundamentals.

Yeah, I have to say I'm concerned about that as well. I just posted about Maybin because it's something that I've been wondering about ever since he was coasting in AAA, and it deals with a bigger baseball issue in teams always seeing the more athletic guy as the CFer when he's not always going to outperform the other guy. Whereas Gaby may just be a case of a not very good first basemen. We'll have to see more on him, but I did like his plate approach today and I can't say that I've ever see anything out of Maybin to convince me that he's going to be an effective major league hitter.

On the plus side, Mike Jacobs was playing for the other team today so I'm sure he could give Gaby some good advice on first base defense :mischief :rolleyes:

Maybin looked worse at the plate today than he did in the field. That long swing he has really worries me.

As far as fielding goes, it seems to be more of an issue of him either playing too deep or too shallow at the wrong times. Perhaps there needs to be more communication between Maybin and the dugout.

Well his first step was back every time today. At the plate he always looks like hes guessing. He supposedly shortened his swing over the off season. I just hope he gets going soon as I don't wanna see his confidence go to crap.

Well his first step was back every time today. At the plate he always looks like hes guessing. He supposedly shortened his swing over the off season. I just hope he gets going soon as I don't wanna see his confidence go to crap.

He may have shortened his swing, but his chances of becoming a legitimate power hitter seem to be evaporating. It's sad that at this point we're really just hoping for an effective hitter at all when this guy was known for his prodigous power, which he will display probably once or twice every 500 ABs.

I'm going to let off Maybin and Gaby (solid at the plate though today) based on Opening Day nerves. We have a very winnable matchup on Wednesday so hopefully the overall team performance is better.

Main thing which caught my eye today - Hanley was fantastic in the field.

Gaby wasn't Opening Day nerves. Stretching is something basic that a 1B should know. That ball in the 1st inning is a double play if he stretches...every play where he had to stretch, it looked like he was playing catch. How the hell did he win a gold glove in the minors?

As for Maybin, I don't think it was the wind, he just seems like a horrible route runner. The wind was playing tricks on Matthews. But Maybin was just reading the balls wrong. Everytime the ball was hit where he had to come in, his first couple of steps were going back. He had a horrible day, and as I said on Thursday after the Spring Training game I went to...he still can't hit a breaking ball.

But whatever. 0-1. 161 to go.

I'm going to let off Maybin and Gaby (solid at the plate though today) based on Opening Day nerves. We have a very winnable matchup on Wednesday so hopefully the overall team performance is better.

Gaby wasn't Opening Day nerves. Stretching is something basic that a 1B should know. That ball in the 1st inning is a double play if he stretches...every play where he had to stretch, it looked like he was playing catch. How the hell did he win a gold glove in the minors?

Not playing like that. Hell, he didn't play like that the one game he started last year. No idea what was up there.

I was thinking more the play where he simply dropped it from Hanley's throw.

I was thinking more the play where he simply dropped it from Hanley's throw.

I'm thinking he might just be as poor defensively as he was at UM when he played 3B, really. He didn't look nervous at the plate, he had probably the best AB's on the team, today. He looked worse than Mike Jacobs on the field today though; I hope he's not that bad all year.

My favorite thing about opening day (besides Publix Chicken Tender subs) is people who are so starved for baseball that they take every little thing and blow it completely out of proportion.

If this game had happened in May nobody would have any comments beyond "Gaby had a bad day". We all assume that opening day has to be indicative of some larger truth, because of how much importance we put on it. But it's just one game, no different than any other. I'm no more worried about anyone than I was yesterday.

My favorite thing about opening day (besides Publix Chicken Tender subs) is people who are so starved for baseball that they take every little thing and blow it completely out of proportion.

If this game had happened in May nobody would have any comments beyond "Gaby had a bad day". We all assume that opening day has to be indicative of some larger truth, because of how much importance we put on it. But it's just one game, no different than any other. I'm no more worried about anyone than I was yesterday.

Sorry, but I'm kinda worried that our 1B is not stretching for balls from our infielders. That is nothing like Josh Johnson struggling...not even like Maybin having a bad day. That was just bad, and it's a fundamental thing that he did consistently wrong, today.

By the way I think we have found the boards new Hermi in Cam.

Hypothetically lets say Maybin plays like he did last year at the start of the season, how long does the team give him to get it together? Does he get sent back to the minors or sit the bench? Who replaces him Cousins, Peterson Carrol, maybe Stanton if hes killing it? I'm figuring Ross will go back to center. I think the team will give Maybin a little more time than last year but not much.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.