Cameron Maybin in CF

Well, Maybin's asset is speed and he doesn't steal bases. A bad sign. No way I would have him in center field. I like Cody Ross in center, personally. Stanton would be in right field right now. The homerun off the Marlins' very best hurler, Nolasco, should have constituted his diploma from the minors.

Johnson stunk it up on the mound, much as he did all spring. Predictable. I would have traded him to Texas for one of their good, young (and cheap) pitchers and Nelson Cruz, who would be playing left field for the Marlins right now.

Coghlan would be at second base, where he belongs, and would be signed long term right now. I would never have kept Uggla.

I like the way Sanchez approaches things at the plate, but the first base defense was unacceptable. .. notably the failure to stretch for the ball. I haven't see a first baseman stand straight up to take a throw since Little League.

Paulino didn't quite come through at the plate yesterday, but I really like him and the whole catching platoon situation.

The bullpen will be disappointing all season.

Is there someone out there that thinks Maybin is a better player than Mike Stanton, right now?

Right now? Yeah, I think 99.99% of knowlegable Marlins fans understand that Maybin is a better player and a better option in right field than Michael Stanton right now, and probably this entire season (unless Stanton is unbelievable in AA and gets called up mid June).

Is there someone out there that thinks Maybin is a better player than Mike Stanton, right now?

Right now? Yeah, I think 99.99% of knowlegable Marlins fans understand that Maybin is a better player and a better option in right field than Michael Stanton right now, and probably this entire season (unless Stanton is unbelievable in AA and gets called up mid June).

I would say I'm fairly knowledgeable, yet I could actually imagine Stanton being better in the short terma nd perhaps the longterm. If Maybin's bat proves to be as useless as it was at the beginning of last year, it doesn't take a whole lot to be better than awful. And with Maybin and his sometimes lack of ability to hit the ball solidly, he's guilty until he proves himself innocent.

But the real problem is that it simply would not be best for Stanton to be up here right now when he still needs to hone skills in the minors. In fact, Maybin is probably the most obvious example of what bringing prospects up early can do. Both Maybin and Miller were tremendously rushed by Detroit on talent that they were supposed to have but simply hadn't displayed enough of in the minor leagues to show that they were capable of holding their own at the major league level. While the stagnation of both players may have happened regardless, them trying to learn skills in the majors that they should have had time to learn in the minors can't have done them any favors.

I would say I'm fairly knowledgeable, yet I could actually imagine Stanton being better in the short terma nd perhaps the longterm. If Maybin's bat proves to be as useless as it was at the beginning of last year, it doesn't take a whole lot to be better than awful. And with Maybin and his sometimes lack of ability to hit the ball solidly, he's guilty until he proves himself innocent.

But the real problem is that it simply would not be best for Stanton to be up here right now when he still needs to hone skills in the minors. In fact, Maybin is probably the most obvious example of what bringing prospects up early can do. Both Maybin and Miller were tremendously rushed by Detroit on talent that they were supposed to have but simply hadn't displayed enough of in the minor leagues to show that they were capable of holding their own at the major league level. While the stagnation of both players may have happened regardless, them trying to learn skills in the majors that they should have had time to learn in the minors can't have done them any favors.

Here's what I find silly about this line of thinking:

I think we can all agree Maybin's biggest problem is making contact.

Mike Stanton struck out more often in the minors than Maybin.

And yet you think Stanton will have less problems making contact when he faces major league pitching?

That doesn't add up.

And yet you think Stanton will have less problems making contact when he faces major league pitching?

That doesn't add up.

To me his biggest problem is his extremely high ground ball rate.

That doesn't add up.

Maybin's problem is that even when he does make contact he doesn't with any power in it, even though his body has a lot of power potential. Stanton simply doesn't have this problem. When he hits it, he hits it with authority. The only thing that gets hit with authority during a Maybin AB is the catcher's glove when he swings and misses.

That's Maybin's biggest problem.

I think Maybin will fare better against someone who isn't Santana. Let's see if he looks this bad against John Maine.

I'm not one of those people calling Maybin a bust, but I haven't seen someone look so lost at the plate since Reggie Abercrombie played. I hope that he will pull it together in the next couple of weeks. If he doesn't I think there is a strong possibility that Gaby Sanchez will be the #2 hitter (behind Coghlan) before the break.

I think a case can be made that Sanchez should be hitting there now.

I think Maybin will fare better against someone who isn't Santana. Let's see if he looks this bad against John Maine.

I'm not one of those people calling Maybin a bust, but I haven't seen someone look so lost at the plate since Reggie Abercrombie played. I hope that he will pull it together in the next couple of weeks. If he doesn't I think there is a strong possibility that Gaby Sanchez will be the #2 hitter (behind Coghlan) before the break.

I think a case can be made that Sanchez should be hitting there now.

Or Baker/Paulino.

That doesn't add up.

More acceptable for Stanton, considering his raw power. Something that Maybin will never have.

Putting the catching combo at #2 wouldn't be bad either. Looking at their appropriate splits, they could pull off a high .340 or low .350 OBP.

I think Sanchez has the potential to pull off a .350+ OBP. If he struggles with the bat (and so does Maybin), the Marlins won't have many options other than to move Baker and Paulino there.

Even after accepting the fact that Maybin looked poor in one game against a Cy Young pitcher, I still don't see him getting on base enough this season to warrant hitting that high in the order. It seems that the front office is placing too much stock into the fallacy that the "tool players" and "speed" need to be hitting at the top of the order.

In all fairness, I think Maybin is a #7 or #8 hitter right now.

The only thing that gets hit with authority during a Maybin AB is the catcher's glove when he swings and misses.

That's Maybin's biggest problem.

So his biggest problem is contact.

Nope, I said its that when he does hit the ball it is only with the power of a 13 year old.

More acceptable for Stanton, considering his raw power. Something that Maybin will never have.

I'm not comparing their eventual upsides, though. I'm comparing them right now since people were making the argument that Stanton could do better. Stanton would get eaten alive if he were to get called up right now.

This is gonna be a bit stream of consciousness, but here we go:

I'm going to assume that a 1st baseman stretching completely gives him an extra 3 feet.

Let's assume the average IF throw is coming at 80 MPH.

80 MPH = 422,400 feet per hour = 7,040 feet per minute = 117.33 feet per second.

3/117.33 = .0256 second different. That's less than 3 hundredths of a second. One-fortieth of one second, roughly.

Now the key question: does that make a difference? My guess is it makes a very, very slight one. How many plays were +/- 1/40th of a second being the difference between being safe or out?

From what little research I did (if anyone wants to correct me on this, feel free if I'm wrong), reaction times for auditory and visual cues are around 160-190 milliseconds, or .16-.19 seconds.

I think it's safe to say the tangible effects of the stretch by your calculations (which seem right to me) are largely imperceptible to the human brain.

If you want to make an argument about how not stretching leaves him more susceptible to bad hops and all that, there's merit to that. I just don't think it makes a tangible impact on the runner being safe or out.