Cameron Maybin in CF

Stretching to either side of the bag to snag badly off-target throws is what it's about.

Cutting 1 or 2 or 3 feet (depending on how off-target the throw is) off the total distance of the throw isn't capable of making a difference more than 1 or 2% of the time, if that.

1% of the time is a lot, considering the number of potential groundouts/infield singles there are in any given year. Assuming 15 plays at first base (groundouts, beaten out singles, errors on throws, etc.) per game times 162 games ... that's 2,430 chances per year. 1% is 24 plays. In some cases, if it's on a double play ball, that could be the difference between getting out of the inning and prolonging it. Another assumption: let's say that those 24 safe plays result in 12 runs. Or even 7-8 runs (this number definitely would happen).

How many games is that? That's 1-2 extra games lost per season if it's 7-8 runs and 2-3 games if it's 12 runs. Not to mention the fact that if the guy doesn't like to stretch it probably means his defense as a whole sucks ass. Add another 2-3 games for overall defense. That's 4-6 games per season. We finished 6 games behind the Phillies last season. That number is not insignificant.

While I appreciate the effort, I don't think your numbers are even in the right ballpark.

Last season our first basemen made 1334 PO. So one percent of that is 13 plays, and I think it's a little silly to to assume all of those will be called safe and not out, assuming it's as bang bang as we are saying. It's more safe to say it's something like half, so let's got with 7 plays a year where an extra runner gets on base.

That's something like once every 20 games. It's negligible.

(This is all, of course, assuming the 1% number is accurate, something none of us has any way of knowing.)

This is all based on assumptions, but I think you are overreacting on this one.

Yeah, I think that saying half the guys who reach first base on a bang bang play are going to score is really wrong, which is basically what prinmemito said, to which he then just randomly threw in another 20-30 runs for good measure.

Also, the general rule of thought (calling it a rule is kinda wrong though) is that 10 runs = 1 win, so saying that 7-8 runs = 1-2 wins & 12 runs = 2-3 wins is kinda far off, especially in the second case.

Yeah, I think that saying half the guys who reach first base on a bang bang play are going to score is really wrong

A man on first is worth roughly .5 runs (No outs: .9, 1 out: .53, 2 outs: .23). That doesn't mean they score half the time, but you can basically say "If 10 guys reached first, that's ~5 runs."

Yeah, I think that saying half the guys who reach first base on a bang bang play are going to score is really wrong

A man on first is worth roughly .5 runs (No outs: .9, 1 out: .53, 2 outs: .23). That doesn't mean they score half the time, but you can basically say "If 10 guys reached first, that's ~5 runs."

Well, strike that then... But the other part is still perfectly valid.

Should have never traded you Huber...

I love the way Maybin runs the bases.

With how sanitized most top prospect's games are, what with the camps and personal trainers in middle school and crap, I like that he does something that isn't necessarily Technically perfect, but still effective. It's entertaining as all hell to me.