Marlins sign Doug Mientkiewicz

FutureGM

Marlins signed Doug Mientkiewicz to a minor league deal.

Marlins Sign Doug Mientkiewicz

By Tim Dierkes [May 5, 2010 at 3:36pm CST]

The Marlins signed first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz to a minor league deal, according to Baseball America's Matt Eddy. Mientkiewicz didn't play much in '09, as he went down for shoulder surgery in April.

The Dodgers re-signed Mientkiewicz to a minor league deal in December of last year. He sought his release after being told he wouldn't make the team, and the Dodgers waited a week before granting it. Mientkiewicz declined a chance to coach for Joe Torre, and later passed on Bret Boone's recruiting efforts for his independent league club.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/05/marlins-sign-doug-mientkiewicz.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MlbTradeRumors+%28MLB+Trade+Rumors%29

Don't know if we'll actually see him with the Marlins, but he did go to school and grow up in Miami.

Mientkiewicz has always been a outstanding glove man. I think that is why the Marlins signed him because he could make even Jorge Cantu passable at 3B. Plus it doesn't really cost the Marlins much to give him a chance to see if he has anything left in the minors as they can just cut him if it doesn't work out.

Guest Guest

Ten bucks says BroncoBob uses this as an example of the Marlins being unhappy with Gaby.

Considering that Mientkiewicz is a glove man, I'd like to get in on that too.

One might ask what this means for Logan Morisson's playing time in NO even in the short term if they give Mientkiewicz a looksee for a few weeks or longer? It's a strange move to be sure, but I guess we'll see the fit sooner rather than later.

NOTE: If others were wondering the same thing...the answer is "Mientkiewicz should see plenty of time at first base in the coming weeks for the Zephyrs while Logan Morrison is out with a bone bruise in his shoulder..."

- Nola.com

Missed that one. Learn something new everyday.

Makes more sense already.

It really, really sucks that Logan is hurt. Otherwise, we could give him a shot in LF if Coghlan is still doing poorly in June. Maybe that'll still happen.

I just have an odd feeling we might see a Logan/Cody/Stanton (or BC) outfield at some point this year.

It really, really sucks that Logan is hurt. Otherwise, we could give him a shot in LF if Coghlan is still doing poorly in June. Maybe that'll still happen.

I just have an odd feeling we might see a Logan/Cody/Stanton (or BC) outfield at some point this year.

He's not on the 40 man so I doubt it. If we do indeed send Coghlan down, it'll likely be Cousins, a natural outfielder (and a good one) who can play all three spots and a guy who is on the 40 man, coming up.

One might ask what this means for Logan Morisson's playing time in NO even in the short term if they give Mientkiewicz a looksee for a few weeks or longer? It's a strange move to be sure, but I guess we'll see the fit sooner rather than later.

NOTE: If others were wondering the same thing...the answer is "Mientkiewicz should see plenty of time at first base in the coming weeks for the Zephyrs while Logan Morrison is out with a bone bruise in his shoulder..."

- Nola.com

Missed that one. Learn something new everyday.

Makes more sense already.

This is what I thought when I saw this. Logan hasn't played since April 19, I guess it's going to be a few more weeks.

Also, I see this as "Mike Lamb" insurance. If that exists.

Except like I told you in the minor league thread, his numbers were dreadful before his Cycle game.

And? Being on the 40 man has it's perks. I don't think we're going to 60 day Meyer so what else is there for us to do to make room for a new guy not on it? If Coghlan is indeed demoted, he's really the only option.

I'm pretty sure we only have 39 on the 40 man right now. There's room for whoever we want to put on, and we could always waive a Brett Sinkbeil if we really need room.

You're actually right about it being 39 on the 40 man which opens up the possibility of Petersen but I still think Cousins is the most MLB ready.

I think Cousins would really struggle as a major leaguer right now. He would strike out a ton. Yeah he's good defensively, but our outfield defense is not nearly as big a problem as our outfield offense.

That being said, I'm waiting until June 1 to make a move. If either Coghlan or Maybin isn't OPSing over .750 by then, it's Stanton time. Why mess around with anyone else? Give the guys you've got a chance to prove themselves and if you don't, roll the dice.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.