June 1, 201016 yr I guess a relevant comparison would be golf. Annika Sorenstam, widely regarded as one of the best ever female players competed a couple of times on the PGA Tour and missed the cut. Michelle Wie has also played in half a dozen PGA events and never made the weekend.
June 1, 201016 yr I guess a relevant comparison would be golf. Annika Sorenstam, widely regarded as one of the best ever female players competed a couple of times on the PGA Tour and missed the cut. Michelle Wie has also played in half a dozen PGA events and never made the weekend. I was going to raise this point too. I think golf is one sport where females have the most potential to compete at the same class as men, but there really hasn't been many cases of this.
June 1, 201016 yr 3) Pregnancy: Now imagine having to put that same start center fielder on the 60-Day DL with "pregnancy". And seeing as the off season is only 4.5 months (3.5 for playoff teams) a woman would never be able to start a family without ending up on the DL. 4) Locker rooms: This is really the big one. There will never be split locker rooms and teams in general won't want women in their locker rooms. From men feeling uncomfortable to sexual harassment, it's just a terrible thing. THESE. The locker room one is a VERY good point. I just don't see it happening. The ONLY way I could see it is if the woman has an amazing knuckleball, or another pitch that almost no other human, male or female, can throw correctly and accurately.. My biggest concern is that we will have a situation like what professional auto racing experiances where a woman is in the pros just because she is a woman, and the team is looking to sell tickets and fill the grandstands, not because she is skilled enough to be there. (See: Shawna Robinson, Tina Gordon)
June 1, 201016 yr Also a head first slide to a base would be rather painful for a female. And applying a tag to certain body parts might be construed as harassment, while also getting the players a bit giddy... Imagine as a catcher blocking the plate you have a hot girl running right towards you and leaping into you to try and knock the ball loose and score... I apologise for my wandering mind.
June 1, 201016 yr No, you merely implied it so in case someone would call you out on your crap you can write something just like you've written. Secondly, I never made the comparison between Jackie Robinson and women entering the MLB, I merely corrected you when you wrote that "being black doesnt stop your abilities at anything" which is the exact opposite of common thought during that time period. I can write out quote after quote of doctors and other intellectuals detailing all of the perceived shortcomings of Black people. Of course, now we all accept that train of thought as ignorant. Thirdly, please point out where I, specifically, was discussing anything about the "probabilities" of a woman entering the MLB. I don't think ONE person on this board is arguing how hard it will be to break the "sex barrier". I'm pretty sure we can all accept that it will be very difficult so I really have no idea what your last rant is about. As for your argument pertaining to strength, what's your point? Are you trying to say that women can't be power hitters or that they don't have the strength to throw hard? You hardly elaborated on your biological argument. All you did was write one sentence about strength and started discussing probabilities, of which no one brought up. I don't know what you're trying to argue here. Also, read the last paragraph in your first post and then read the last line in your last post, no contradiction there... that's called backpedaling. So there are things that men can do that a woman can't but then women can do anything a man can do... do you have a coherent argument? As for me being "overly sensitive" trust me, I'm not. My "woman power flag" and I don't have any problem debating the merits of having women play in the MLB in a perfectly civilized manner, if only you had a coherent argument. Yeah, because I've got so much to hide and I really, truely give a sh*t what you think about me. Do you think I care what you think about me? I'll tell you one thing, everything that I ever post I believe. I dont make things up, I dont care to convince you, I dont post to argue, and I sure as hell dont care if you dont like my opinion so go cry about it some more. Of course we all accept that thought as ignorant, but you seem to believe that just because that was the case for blacks that somehow science will speak in the name of the Holy Woman and refute the current claims that males are physically superior to women. Just as a male is typically physically stronger when in good shape, a woman is usually more flexible. That is biology, you cant just argue with it because you have your fist held high for girl power. Women can give birth, Men have a dick. Most women can grow their hair long. Most men cannot grow their hair in the same way. Women are smaller. Men are bigger. Women have boobs. Most men do not. Women typically have much wider hips. Men do not. Women do indeed have different thinking patterns (which is more of a social psychology than a natural biology of course) than men. There are so many biological differences between a man and a woman. However there is almost no biological difference between a black person and a white person other than skin complexion and minute other differences (i.e. the susceptibility to skin damage from the sun). You arent arguing anything here. All you are doing is telling me I'm not arguing anything. All I was doing was laughing at the fact that someone thinks that the color-barrier is even remotely similar to the "sex-barrier". There is no "sex-barrier". I dont know of any major-league female league that sits on edge waiting to get into the men's major league. That, however, was the case with the Negro League. Women are not segregated from baseball. If there is one thing you are it's a typical desktop warrior, that is for sure. You are taking my points and making them "contradict" each other. It's not contradicting if you take it in its context. I claimed a female can do anything a man can do. Then I stated several professions. Grow up, you sound like a lawyer. The point of that was to establish that there could be a woman, or several women, talented enough to play baseball. But to even remotely reference these times of such 'severe woman opression in the sport of baseball' if you will... as the same as Jackie Robinson's time? are you kidding me? That's like saying that all of the "sexism" that women face nowadays is the same thing as the segregation blacks faced before segregation was ended. In regards to your first point, it's great that you don't care what I think about you because I actually don't think about you at all. Also, how am I the one "crying" when I already told you that I'm not overly sensitive about this issue and that I would gladly debate this with you civilly. I find it to be interesting. You, on the other hand are taking this all very seriously. As for males physical superiority, I don't necessarily agree with it. Superiority is simply what society gives more value which isn't exactly the same in every society or in every sport for that matter, meaning that it's not innate. Using your own post as an example, you stated that women were more flexible than men when in peak physical fitness. If society were to place more weight on flexibility then, according to what you wrote, women would be physically superior to men. Now, in regards to baseball, I don't think a man needs extraordinary strength to find success in the MLB. A pitcher need not always throw 90-95+ to find success and a hitter need not be a power hitter to find success. If Yoshida develops an amazing knuckleball and has a fastball that taps out somewhere in the high 80 mph zone, why can't she play in the MLB? Yes, she may not throw as strongly as some of the men in the MLB but why would that make her anymore ineffective if she were capable of keeping the hitters off balance? How would her inferior strength play a role in this situation and if she has the stuff why would that make her "not built for something like baseball" as you wrote earlier? I just don't find your argument for strength to be at all valid. For the second time, I never compared Jackie Robinson's struggles or the plight of Black people with women wanting to enter baseball. I merely mentioned the paradigm shift in America about Black people and then I mentioned the hope that maybe in the future that another paradigm shift could occur where men find that women can play in the MLB. Never once did I mention anything about human anatomy changing so I have no idea what your spiel is about. Although, thanks for the biology lesson, it was just as enlightening as I had hoped... oh and just in case you didn't get it, I never compared Black segregation to women entering the MLB, please tell me where I did so and I'll gladly take it back but I've read over my posts and I see no such instance. Lastly, so in your opinion, women can only compete with men on a mental level and not physically? I have no idea what you're trying to communicate with these two sentences, "A woman can do anything a man can do. She can be a doctor, a lawyer, a whatever she wants to be." or "There are many things that a man can do that a woman can't do and in reverse" I'm not trying to make your points contradict but that's exactly what they're doing. Instead of writing that I'm making your posts contradict can you please tell me what point you were trying to get across in those two sentences I mentioned earlier so that I can garner a better understanding? You mentioned that you included those sentences to prove that women could play baseball but following the second sentence you wrote that women weren't built for baseball. P.S. My favorite sentence in your whole post was that I should grow up because I sound like a lawyer. Is there a Doogie Howser in the legal profession?
June 1, 201016 yr You get worked up too easily. You're right, which is why I'll stop wasting my time.
June 1, 201016 yr I bet if we had message boards back in Jackie Robinson's days you would see the same nonsense. lol yeah... okay... you know there is one big thing wrong with that. Being black doesnt stop your abilities at anything. There is nothing that a black person cant do that a white man can. Hate me for it but it's not the same case with male-female. There are many things that a man can do that a woman cant do and in reverse, there are many things a woman can do that a man cannot. It's not to say that there is not special talent in baseball where some women are better than some of the men in the majors... but biologically speaking a male is built for something like baseball. A woman is not. There is no difference between a black man and a white man. However there are fine line differences between any man and any woman. Furthermore, there were plenty of intelligent and well educated people who literally believed that being black DID in fact mean that you were of inferior intellect and abilities than whites so I don't have any idea what you're talking about. Only now, through education have most come to know that skin color doesn't reflect your capabilities. Hopefully, the same can be said about sex years from now. Agreed.
June 2, 201016 yr I asked him (Dr. Beinfest) to state his argument, he said it was men's physical superiority due to their strength that made them "built for baseball" moreso than women who are "not built for baseball", I refuted that claim and asked him to elaborate in a contradiction in his argument and he said that he wouldn't bother. It was in my last post.
June 2, 201016 yr I'm a tolerant and liberal individual. Women should play baseball in the same league, alongside men, because that is what a tolerant and liberal individual would believe - and I am one of them.
June 2, 201016 yr I asked him (Dr. Beinfest) to state his argument, he said it was men's physical superiority due to their strength that made them "built for baseball" moreso than women who are "not built for baseball", I refuted that claim and asked him to elaborate in a contradiction in his argument and he said that he wouldn't bother. It was in my last post. Yeah okay. More like you decided to close your ears and not listen to anything I'd said. My point is well out there, and you've done nothing to show otherwise. All you can say is "nope! Women can play baseball!" and do your little lawyer things by taking things out of context and taping them together. All you've done is tell me how wrong I am but you've yet to say anything yourself. And this all stemmed off of the "Jackie Robinson" quote which you claimed I'd quoted only as a fallback option... I dont know why I'd do that... but I've failed to hear anything that honestly shows how these times for women are similar to that of the times for blacks in segregation in the 20th century. And dont pretend like that wasnt the topic like you've done in your other posts, because it was. Women dont play in the MLB because it was accepted at the time of the leagues inception that a woman's place is not on the diamond. Of course that has changed, but none the less women dont typically fit in baseball because it is a league built for men. They do not have the same capabilities when it comes to baseball. I'm not against allowing women into the MLB, but dont think that if the imaginary "sex-barrier" you believe to exist was "broken" that all of the sudden women talent would be spewing into the league and within a half decade they'd make up an equal portion to males as blacks did equal up the portion of whites, hispanics, etc. For the sake of argument why dont you just pull up every other sport? Would a woman not more often get packed, draw more fouls, not be able to drive in as much, alter the game in general, in a game of basketball? Perhaps you think a woman could play hockey with men as well? And football? Does she wear a separate non contact jersey? Does that make it fair for everyone? I said I'd not get back into this but of course I am... I'm sorry if you took this as a "women are so inferior" type of comment because I do see how it can get off a little offending but trust me the main point of it was not to slander women but to state that there was absolutely no difference between black men and white men, however there are significant differences between a male and a female both biologically and certainly socially as well (and socially indeed effects biologically, it's not standard for any woman to throw 80+ mph. It's much, much more likely for a male to do that.)
June 2, 201016 yr I'm a tolerant and liberal individual. Women should play baseball in the same league, alongside men, because that is what a tolerant and liberal individual would believe - and I am one of them. I hope you dont mean that just because you affiliate yourself in a liberal manner that you force yourself to believe that? It's not bad to believe that but that's really... not a good reason if that is what you meant by that comment.
June 2, 201016 yr Pitches inside would hit their bewbs. They don't adjust themselves. Slapping ass would be sexual harassment. Shaving cream in the face after a game would also be sexual harassment. Calling 2 balls one strike on a female batter would be banned. The amount of Freudian slips announcers make would increase dramatically. Breast feeding in the dugout? I lol'd Mets star shortstop Josephina Reyes is going to the ML (maternity list) for the rest of the season. Menstrual cycle based baseball statistics. "Mary is 0-12 and in the midst of her monthly slump." First couple to play on the same team. Do they need to report to HR? I lol'd hard "Mary rounds 3rd SHES COMING HOME!" "Collision at the plate OH BOY the ball is dropped shes SAFE SAFE SAFE!" "Mary is dusting herself off from what could only be described as the collision of the decade." "looks like she missed some back their, bob costas." "No, John, she got her period." Hidden ball trick would have to be renamed. How would bench clearing brawls work? I don't get it Male and female locker rooms? Funny enough, I thought I read somewhere that the new Yankee Stadium has two locker rooms for Umps for that reason. I guess it's something they may or may not be anticipating in the near future.
June 2, 201016 yr No, you merely implied it so in case someone would call you out on your crap you can write something just like you've written. Secondly, I never made the comparison between Jackie Robinson and women entering the MLB, I merely corrected you when you wrote that "being black doesnt stop your abilities at anything" which is the exact opposite of common thought during that time period. I can write out quote after quote of doctors and other intellectuals detailing all of the perceived shortcomings of Black people. Of course, now we all accept that train of thought as ignorant. Thirdly, please point out where I, specifically, was discussing anything about the "probabilities" of a woman entering the MLB. I don't think ONE person on this board is arguing how hard it will be to break the "sex barrier". I'm pretty sure we can all accept that it will be very difficult so I really have no idea what your last rant is about. As for your argument pertaining to strength, what's your point? Are you trying to say that women can't be power hitters or that they don't have the strength to throw hard? You hardly elaborated on your biological argument. All you did was write one sentence about strength and started discussing probabilities, of which no one brought up. I don't know what you're trying to argue here. Also, read the last paragraph in your first post and then read the last line in your last post, no contradiction there... that's called backpedaling. So there are things that men can do that a woman can't but then women can do anything a man can do... do you have a coherent argument? As for me being "overly sensitive" trust me, I'm not. My "woman power flag" and I don't have any problem debating the merits of having women play in the MLB in a perfectly civilized manner, if only you had a coherent argument. Yeah, because I've got so much to hide and I really, truely give a sh*t what you think about me. Do you think I care what you think about me? I'll tell you one thing, everything that I ever post I believe. I dont make things up, I dont care to convince you, I dont post to argue, and I sure as hell dont care if you dont like my opinion so go cry about it some more. Of course we all accept that thought as ignorant, but you seem to believe that just because that was the case for blacks that somehow science will speak in the name of the Holy Woman and refute the current claims that males are physically superior to women. Just as a male is typically physically stronger when in good shape, a woman is usually more flexible. That is biology, you cant just argue with it because you have your fist held high for girl power. Women can give birth, Men have a dick. Most women can grow their hair long. Most men cannot grow their hair in the same way. Women are smaller. Men are bigger. Women have boobs. Most men do not. Women typically have much wider hips. Men do not. Women do indeed have different thinking patterns (which is more of a social psychology than a natural biology of course) than men. There are so many biological differences between a man and a woman. However there is almost no biological difference between a black person and a white person other than skin complexion and minute other differences (i.e. the susceptibility to skin damage from the sun). You arent arguing anything here. All you are doing is telling me I'm not arguing anything. All I was doing was laughing at the fact that someone thinks that the color-barrier is even remotely similar to the "sex-barrier". There is no "sex-barrier". I dont know of any major-league female league that sits on edge waiting to get into the men's major league. That, however, was the case with the Negro League. Women are not segregated from baseball. If there is one thing you are it's a typical desktop warrior, that is for sure. You are taking my points and making them "contradict" each other. It's not contradicting if you take it in its context. I claimed a female can do anything a man can do. Then I stated several professions. Grow up, you sound like a lawyer. The point of that was to establish that there could be a woman, or several women, talented enough to play baseball. But to even remotely reference these times of such 'severe woman opression in the sport of baseball' if you will... as the same as Jackie Robinson's time? are you kidding me? That's like saying that all of the "sexism" that women face nowadays is the same thing as the segregation blacks faced before segregation was ended. In regards to your first point, it's great that you don't care what I think about you because I actually don't think about you at all. Also, how am I the one "crying" when I already told you that I'm not overly sensitive about this issue and that I would gladly debate this with you civilly. I find it to be interesting. You, on the other hand are taking this all very seriously. As for males physical superiority, I don't necessarily agree with it. Superiority is simply what society gives more value which isn't exactly the same in every society or in every sport for that matter, meaning that it's not innate. Using your own post as an example, you stated that women were more flexible than men when in peak physical fitness. If society were to place more weight on flexibility then, according to what you wrote, women would be physically superior to men. Now, in regards to baseball, I don't think a man needs extraordinary strength to find success in the MLB. A pitcher need not always throw 90-95+ to find success and a hitter need not be a power hitter to find success. If Yoshida develops an amazing knuckleball and has a fastball that taps out somewhere in the high 80 mph zone, why can't she play in the MLB? Yes, she may not throw as strongly as some of the men in the MLB but why would that make her anymore ineffective if she were capable of keeping the hitters off balance? How would her inferior strength play a role in this situation and if she has the stuff why would that make her "not built for something like baseball" as you wrote earlier? I just don't find your argument for strength to be at all valid. For the second time, I never compared Jackie Robinson's struggles or the plight of Black people with women wanting to enter baseball. I merely mentioned the paradigm shift in America about Black people and then I mentioned the hope that maybe in the future that another paradigm shift could occur where men find that women can play in the MLB. Never once did I mention anything about human anatomy changing so I have no idea what your spiel is about. Although, thanks for the biology lesson, it was just as enlightening as I had hoped... oh and just in case you didn't get it, I never compared Black segregation to women entering the MLB, please tell me where I did so and I'll gladly take it back but I've read over my posts and I see no such instance. Lastly, so in your opinion, women can only compete with men on a mental level and not physically? I have no idea what you're trying to communicate with these two sentences, "A woman can do anything a man can do. She can be a doctor, a lawyer, a whatever she wants to be." or "There are many things that a man can do that a woman can't do and in reverse" I'm not trying to make your points contradict but that's exactly what they're doing. Instead of writing that I'm making your posts contradict can you please tell me what point you were trying to get across in those two sentences I mentioned earlier so that I can garner a better understanding? You mentioned that you included those sentences to prove that women could play baseball but following the second sentence you wrote that women weren't built for baseball. P.S. My favorite sentence in your whole post was that I should grow up because I sound like a lawyer. Is there a Doogie Howser in the legal profession? I asked him (Dr. Beinfest) to state his argument, he said it was men's physical superiority due to their strength that made them "built for baseball" moreso than women who are "not built for baseball", I refuted that claim and asked him to elaborate in a contradiction in his argument and he said that he wouldn't bother. It was in my last post. Yeah okay. More like you decided to close your ears and not listen to anything I'd said. My point is well out there, and you've done nothing to show otherwise. All you can say is "nope! Women can play baseball!" and do your little lawyer things by taking things out of context and taping them together. All you've done is tell me how wrong I am but you've yet to say anything yourself. And this all stemmed off of the "Jackie Robinson" quote which you claimed I'd quoted only as a fallback option... I dont know why I'd do that... but I've failed to hear anything that honestly shows how these times for women are similar to that of the times for blacks in segregation in the 20th century. And dont pretend like that wasnt the topic like you've done in your other posts, because it was. Women dont play in the MLB because it was accepted at the time of the leagues inception that a woman's place is not on the diamond. Of course that has changed, but none the less women dont typically fit in baseball because it is a league built for men. They do not have the same capabilities when it comes to baseball. I'm not against allowing women into the MLB, but dont think that if the imaginary "sex-barrier" you believe to exist was "broken" that all of the sudden women talent would be spewing into the league and within a half decade they'd make up an equal portion to males as blacks did equal up the portion of whites, hispanics, etc. For the sake of argument why dont you just pull up every other sport? Would a woman not more often get packed, draw more fouls, not be able to drive in as much, alter the game in general, in a game of basketball? Perhaps you think a woman could play hockey with men as well? And football? Does she wear a separate non contact jersey? Does that make it fair for everyone? I said I'd not get back into this but of course I am... I'm sorry if you took this as a "women are so inferior" type of comment because I do see how it can get off a little offending but trust me the main point of it was not to slander women but to state that there was absolutely no difference between black men and white men, however there are significant differences between a male and a female both biologically and certainly socially as well (and socially indeed effects biologically, it's not standard for any woman to throw 80+ mph. It's much, much more likely for a male to do that.) Either you didn't read what I wrote or you're purposely ignoring what I've written if you continue to bring up women and segregation. I've already stated (going on to the 4th time actually) that I never compared segregation and women entering the MLB. Why do you continue to pound that topic? It's completely irrelevant. I bolded above what I wrote pertaining to this issue in case you didn't read it. All I wanted to know was why you thought that biology would inhibit women from playing baseball, so no, segregation was never my point. The only time I mentioned Black people was to reference a paradigm shift in America. I'm not sure how that is likening women and Black people in the MLB which seems to be the crux of your current argument. Did anyone mention that if one woman were allowed in the MLB, that eventually women would represent half of the league? If they did I must have missed it. In any case, I don't think that would happen either so I guess we agree on that point. Why would I discuss every male dominated sport and what a women's participation would entail? All sports are different and a woman's involvement would be different in every sport. I don't really have all day to breakdown the perceived risks and benefits for women in every traditionally male sport. Don't worry, I wasn't offended! I didn't take your post to mean that women were inferior or superior. In fact, I stated that inferiority and superiority were social constructions and they shift according to what is more valued at any point. =] I asked you why you believed that biologically a man was built for baseball and a woman wasn't. You said you believed it was due to a man's superior strength. I countered your argument and stated why I didn't agree with you (I bolded it above as well, just in case). You said you wouldn't waste your time with this thread. You never countered what I wrote, maybe you didn't read it (since it was after you said you wouldn't waste your time) but I did respond to your original claim. Maybe you don't have a counter-argument and this is just one of those "agree to disagree" type scenarios but I'm not sure how that's me closing my ears and doing my "little lawyer things". In fact, I even asked you if you could explain the discrepancy in your posts so perhaps I could better understand your argument and yet, you continue to accuse me of taking your posts out of context.
June 2, 201016 yr I'm a tolerant and liberal individual. Women should play baseball in the same league, alongside men, because that is what a tolerant and liberal individual would believe - and I am one of them. I hope you dont mean that just because you affiliate yourself in a liberal manner that you force yourself to believe that? It's not bad to believe that but that's really... not a good reason if that is what you meant by that comment. Mocking tones don't transmit well over the internet
June 2, 201016 yr Just ask this guy, I'm with him. Most Interesting Man In The World on Rollerblading Women in Baseball
June 2, 201016 yr My point behind that (when initially the point was much more geared towards Jackie Robinson) was that power is indeed demanded in baseball. Most pitchers need to be able to pitch around 90 on their fastball. There are very few hitters who dont add a dynamic power swing to their game nowadays (in regards to very few Juan Pierre's and Luis Castillo's roaming the game now). Anyways... the point behind my argument was again much more directed at the Jackie Robinson comment and not trying to slander women in the sport of baseball because like you said... the sport isnt something where physical dominance decides the winners. Anyways, lets just end this here. Again I'm sorry if I offended in any way, but trust me when I say it all I was really trying to get at was that this time and age for women is not as bad as it was for African Americans during segregation.
June 2, 201016 yr Hmm.. And here I go thinking Asians had bad hand-eye coordination, especially women.
June 3, 201016 yr I hope to never see females in professional baseball. Thanks for telling us why. Every sport where women have tried to compete on a level playing field with men they have failed miserably. Golf, racing, etc. Women's basketball is just horrendous, even their best players. Women wanted to play ice hockey but they were more safety gear than a person in a body cost even though it is a no contact sport for them. I am sick and tired of people like Danica Patrick and Michelle Wie getting headlines for being women in a male dominated sport even though they struggle to be mediocre, in fact Danica Patrick getting a ride in the Nationwide series is a slap in the face to the young drivers in that circuit that lost a ride due to dwindleing sponsorships even though they could all drive circles around her. At least Wie realized she stunk and joined the LPGA tour(and hasnt been anything special). This is all just another aspect of political correctness that is getting out of hand.
June 3, 201016 yr God this thread WAS funny. ctina2277, you are taking this very personal. Proof: I posted this "Mets star shortstop Josephina Reyes is going to the ML (maternity list) for the rest of the season." and your response was this "Wow, I'm not surprised to find some ignorant posts on here... " You said you could not pickup on the joke or sarcasm because of a lack of smiley face. Seriously? You are overly sensitive to this topic. Josephina Reyes...herp derp... Ignorance is believing or even requesting evidence that a woman at her physical peak can compete with a man at his physical peak. Example: The WNBA wasn't created because society thinks men are better than women. It was created because men are better than women in pro basketball. There are just too many examples where women need to be separated from men in sports in order to maintain a competitive balance. Women aren't going to be in professional baseball any time soon. If you take the male talent pool and place it against the female talent pool, there would need to be some considerable overlap in order to consider women in proball. I'm not an expert, but if this were possible you would see a considerable amount of women in the minors. Do you? I don't. Not going to happen. Read mr penguinos post about women in golf. I hadn't thought of it yet, but yes, golf is a sport where women should be able to compete right along men with maybe a tiny physical disadvantage. So far they haven't made the cut. Women are just as capable as men intellectually, and some evidence has proven even more so, but when it comes to physical labor and sports, we are not equal. Edit: Even more interesting is women in competitive gaming. There are so many successful female poker players. They do compete on the same level as men in this game. You see them on TV all the time. Poker is all intellectual. There is no physical aspect that will put you at an advantage over another player. Now take something similar like online gaming. The biggest competitive online games have been starcraft and counter-strike. Millions of dollars in prize money has been awarded between these two games. Men dominate online competitive gaming despite women making up 40% of online gamers (2009 study). While it is difficult to say you need any sort of physical strength to play a game online, reaction time is a big factor in skill in these two games as it is in many sports. Just an observation... I really only skimmed over what you wrote but, this entire thread is about a woman already having made her professional debut in the United States.
June 3, 201016 yr I don't see how the locker room thing would be such a big issue. So you split up the locker room or build a few walls or an extra wing or something, so what? I get the "boys locker room" thing but that's for the coaches to deal with. If a woman could handle it she'd be fine. Maybe not a great analogy but I'm sure there were plenty of issues in the locker room when the first black players were in the league too. If a woman pitcher could get men out consistently she'll eventually find herself in the bigs.
June 3, 201016 yr I hope to never see females in professional baseball. Thanks for telling us why. Every sport where women have tried to compete on a level playing field with men they have failed miserably. Golf, racing, etc. Women's basketball is just horrendous, even their best players. Women wanted to play ice hockey but they were more safety gear than a person in a body cost even though it is a no contact sport for them. I am sick and tired of people like Danica Patrick and Michelle Wie getting headlines for being women in a male dominated sport even though they struggle to be mediocre, in fact Danica Patrick getting a ride in the Nationwide series is a slap in the face to the young drivers in that circuit that lost a ride due to dwindleing sponsorships even though they could all drive circles around her. At least Wie realized she stunk and joined the LPGA tour(and hasnt been anything special). This is all just another aspect of political correctness that is getting out of hand. Pretty much how I feel.
June 3, 201016 yr I'm a tolerant and liberal individual. Women should play baseball in the same league, alongside men, because that is what a tolerant and liberal individual would believe - and I am one of them. I hope you dont mean that just because you affiliate yourself in a liberal manner that you force yourself to believe that? It's not bad to believe that but that's really... not a good reason if that is what you meant by that comment. Mocking tones don't transmit well over the internet Apparently not lol... but now I get ya. Try throwing in a smiley face like a or something because I honestly thought you were serious. But then again that could just be a huge fail on my part.
June 10, 201016 yr I heard a few members in this thread mention that there is nothing keeping women out of the MLB, and that actually had me wondering if they actually did repeal the ban against women that was enacted in the early part of the 20th century (shortly after a woman struck Babe Ruth out). Otherwise, yeah, there is still that keeping them out (though, changing a rule like that wouldn't be hard, I'm honestly just curious if it's still in place).
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.