Options when West is healthy

flasportsfan88

West is starting to pitch again and if he does well I wouldn't be surprised to maybe see him replace Robertson in the rotation, considering they would want West to get the experience for the future that Robertson doesn't need. In his rookie season, West pitched just about as well as I think Robertson will have at the end of this season.

If this happens do we see Robertson moving to the pen. He actually does better against lefties and I like a veteran like that in tough situation. Right now and even with Pinto, Tank's the only guy to face lefties in the pen, I think when West comes up at some point our pen will get much better.

Nunez

Hensley

Robertson

Tank/Pinto

Vanden Hurk

Sanches

I'm expecting Badenhop or a rookie to eventually replace Buente in the bullpen

This bullpen still needs help, especially if Hensley starts to slip, but I don't necessarily want to puke when I look at this bullpen.

First West has to prove himself a little more in NOLA, He had a great start the other day, but he needs to build up his arm strength before the FO would consider bringing him up.

I do like what he can offer to the rotation when he's ready. Would love to keep Robertson and move him to pen and get rid of Pinto too.

First West has to prove himself a little more in NOLA, He had a great start the other day, but he needs to build up his arm strength before the FO would consider bringing him up.

I do like what he can offer to the rotation when he's ready. Would love to keep Robertson and move him to pen and get rid of Pinto too.

I second this, except for the Pinto part.

I would love to see Sean West contribute to the big club as an SP. I guess the question is if it's better for him to have a 4.5-5.5 ERA with a lot of variance while getting experience, or if it's better to let him improve in AAA while Robertson puts a ~5 ERA but is more consistent (~5 IP, ~ 3 ER each game).

If we have:

Leo

Clay

RVH

Sanches

Robertson

Pinto

Tankersley

Then I don't hate that bullpen. Another top arm of course never hurts, but we'll see if we're contending at the end of July.

I second this, except for the Pinto part.

I would love to see Sean West contribute to the big club as an SP. I guess the question is if it's better for him to have a 4.5-5.5 ERA with a lot of variance while getting experience, or if it's better to let him improve in AAA while Robertson puts a ~5 ERA but is more consistent (~5 IP, ~ 3 ER each game).

If we have:

Leo

Clay

RVH

Sanches

Robertson

Pinto

Tankersley

Then I don't hate that bullpen. Another top arm of course never hurts, but we'll see if we're contending at the end of July.

You bring up a good point about the variance we will see from West and Robertson. I'd rather have consistency. 5IP and 3ER each game gives us a chance to win. I think I'll take that over an ERA of 4.5-5.5 with a lot of variance. High variance means we will see our bullpen really stretched out not infrequently. I don't like that, especially consider that the bullpen already sucks. Tire them out and it will be worse.

Doesn't anyone feel that Sanabia is ready for the rotation or bullpen? His numbers are outstanding and he's 23.

Nope. Not even a September call up. He needs the full year in AA as this is really his first breakout. NOLA next year. Quit trying to rush the entire system. Brad Hand too? If anyone, Jhan Marinez is the name.

---

And this thread, does it matter? West and Robertson are two of the best 12 arms we have when healthy. It doesn't matter who does what as long as we are getting acceptable Innings. I have no problems whichever way they go as long as our bet pitchers are up.

But if this team falls out of contention, West should 100% be starting getting ready for next year as the probable 5.

Doesn't anyone feel that Sanabia is ready for the rotation or bullpen? His numbers are outstanding and he's 23.

Nope. Not even a September call up. He needs the full year in AA as this is really his first breakout. NOLA next year. Quit trying to rush the entire system. Brad Hand too? If anyone, Jhan Marinez is the name.

---

And this thread, does it matter? West and Robertson are two of the best 12 arms we have when healthy. It doesn't matter who does what as long as we are getting acceptable Innings. I have no problems whichever way they go as long as our bet pitchers are up.

But if this team falls out of contention, West should 100% be starting getting ready for next year as the probable 5.

If Marinez goes to AA and dominates for a couple months as he has so far this year in A ball...potential September callup?

---

Really? He's never pitched above A ball. I'd say maybe Tom Koehler or Todd Doolittle.

Marinez promoted to AA

He is our best right hander in the minors, and top internal closer option when Leo goes in a year or two. Doolittle is old and has been pitching forever. He does a good job, but he's not the answer. I like Koehler, but he needs more innings and doesn't have the explosive RP stuff. Marinez does.

Marinez is the future. People should start getting excited about him. This isn't a normal RP prospect like Wood or Leroux. This is arguably the best one we've had under Beinfest. I expect him in late July if we are in contention and he throws 15-20 good AA innings.

Seriously, this is Morrison/Dominguez level RP coming up the system. He's not a Scott Cousins.

Fantasy baseball geeks might have thought tank would close. I don't see that one. Especially as a lefty. It was Bowyer, Owens, Lindstrom, maybe Anibal if his arm didn't hold up, some, including myself, thought to make Nolasco. Just was never tank.

I understand the underlying point as to not get excited about unproven prospects, but this kid has a cannon we have not seen or had. He could fail, but he is in a different class of prospects then the normal relieves we tread through the system. He is something to get excited about.

Marinez is only 21, and the way the scouts have talked about him lately combined with his #'s this year do suggest that he has future closer potential, without a doubt. The only thing to dislike about him is the number of walks he allows. With that said, he's K'ing guys at an incredible rate, and he's not being hit very often. He's definitely a guy to keep track of in AA. I also don't recall people calling Tank a future closer. As Lou said, I remember guys like Bowyer and Owens once being mentioned. With the names mentioned...whatever happened to Travis Bowyer? I remember we got him in the Luis Castillo trade...the guy used to throw 100, supposedly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.