July 27, 201016 yr Marlins Release Nate RobertsonBy Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 27 at 4:04pm CST]The Marlins released Nate Robertson, according to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post (Twitter link). Robertson struggled as a starter this season and the Marlins designated him for assignment last week.
July 27, 201016 yr I still don't understand why he wasn't at least given a shot out of the bullpen. He would always come on strong in the first few innings.
July 27, 201016 yr Bummer, we could have used him to buffer the bullpen workload. I would have felt pretty good about having a decent one-time-through-the-order lefty around just in case. Mediocre arms are tough to find these days.
July 27, 201016 yr Robertson has never been particularly good as a reliever either. I am just glad the Fish traded a promising young LHP reliever for a guy everyone knew sucked something awful.
July 27, 201016 yr Weird that he wasn't claimed. He's basically a free LHP who could spot start and pitch in the pen.
July 27, 201016 yr Robertson has never been particularly good as a reliever either. I am just glad the Fish traded a promising young LHP reliever for a guy everyone knew sucked something awful. We traded Jay Voss.
July 27, 201016 yr I still don't understand why he wasn't at least given a shot out of the bullpen. He would always come on strong in the first few innings. Agreed, I guess. Not something I'm sweating though.
July 27, 201016 yr I thought he'd be a pretty serviceable 5th starter for us.. I also thought Cantu was going to put up career numbers this year. Time to stop making predictions.
July 27, 201016 yr Robertson has never been particularly good as a reliever either. I am just glad the Fish traded a promising young LHP reliever for a guy everyone knew sucked something awful. We traded Jay Voss. Exactly. A promising young LHP.
July 27, 201016 yr Robertson has never been particularly good as a reliever either. I am just glad the Fish traded a promising young LHP reliever for a guy everyone knew sucked something awful. We traded Jay Voss. Exactly. A promising young LHP. 6.41 ERA and a 1.856 WHIP as a 23 year old in Double A is promising?
July 27, 201016 yr Robertson has never been particularly good as a reliever either. I am just glad the Fish traded a promising young LHP reliever for a guy everyone knew sucked something awful. We traded Jay Voss. Exactly. A promising young LHP. 6.41 ERA and a 1.856 WHIP as a 23 year old in Double A is promising? It's promising. I mean, he can't get any worse right? RIGHT?
July 27, 201016 yr Robertson has never been particularly good as a reliever either. I am just glad the Fish traded a promising young LHP reliever for a guy everyone knew sucked something awful. We traded Jay Voss. Exactly. A promising young LHP. 6.41 ERA and a 1.856 WHIP as a 23 year old in Double A is promising? I thought you were talking about Andrew Miller for a second and then I realized he was 25.
July 28, 201016 yr Last year as a 22 year old in AA, Voss had a 36.1 IP, 36 K, 2.97 ERA, 1.13 WHIP. He has been almost unhittable at Lakeland since going down to work on mechanics.
July 28, 201016 yr He's also suffering from a loss of velo, which the FO probably knew when they gave him up. I didn't like the trade at the time but if they recognized Voss as a lost cause then they knew they weren't giving up anything.
July 28, 201016 yr I still don't understand why he wasn't at least given a shot out of the bullpen. He would always come on strong in the first few innings. This was my initial thought... not even a shot at a reliever?
July 28, 201016 yr Robertson has been awful as a reliever in his career. Thank your lucky stars he wasnt given a shot.
July 28, 201016 yr Had to be done, hopefully someone can step up and be the 5th starter, I doubt the front office will pick up a new starter though we need one. Bullpen should be the priority, but a starter would be nice too.
July 28, 201016 yr If spike is this vehemently against NateRob as a reliever, he'll probably come in and be light's out.
July 28, 201016 yr Not vehemently against him, just saying. His career line as a reliever is 7.33 ERA, 1.81 WHIP, and .287/.387/.508 against.
July 28, 201016 yr It's also a super duper small sample size. Also, generally speaking you are often fantastically wrong about anything.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.