July 30, 201016 yr Rangers Inquired On Josh Johnson By Luke Adams [July 29 at 11:46pm CST] While the Rangers and Marlins were working out the trade that sent Jorge Cantu to Texas, the Rangers also took a chance to "reach for the sky" and inquired on the availability of Josh Johnson. According to MLB.com's Joe Frisaro, the Rangers were willing to offer their top three prospects, but were told the Marlins' ace is "unmovable." Johnson, 26, signed a four-year extension worth $39MM with Florida in January, virtually eliminating him as a possible trade chip for the near future. Given his performance this year, which includes a 1.72 ERA over 141.1 IP, Johnson figures to be even more untouchable now than he was at the time of the extension.
July 30, 201016 yr Funny, that reminds me of a time when I once asked someone for a few thousand dollars....I bet the Rangers got the same reply I did... :whistle
July 30, 201016 yr Author Funny, that reminds me of a time when I once asked someone for a few thousand dollars....I bet the Rangers got the same reply I did... :whistle I'd argue that isn't a bad offer. I would've pass as well, though.
July 30, 201016 yr Trivia time: who exactly is the Rangers top three prospects? I have no idea. Was Smoak to old to be considered a prospect, even though he was traded to Seattle in the Cliff Lee deal?
July 30, 201016 yr Funny, that reminds me of a time when I once asked someone for a few thousand dollars....I bet the Rangers got the same reply I did... :whistle I'd argue that isn't a bad offer. I would've pass as well, though. So i guess i can't ask to borrow a few hundred then? :confused In all seriousness, JJ is one of the bright spots on the Marlins right now, although there are a few: Stanton, Logan, ect... If the Marlins actually traded JJ, I'd be very upset.
July 30, 201016 yr No major league-unproven prospects are worth what JJ's done since he's come back from Tommy John surgery
July 30, 201016 yr Well, I highly doubt there was no major league proven talent being offered in return. If Texas was serious about actually making this trade, the deal starts with Neftali Feliz as the main piece in return. Martin Perez (their best prospect; left-handed pitcher) would've been heading our way, as well. Along with others.
July 30, 201016 yr Didn't they make a trade offer for him this past off-season? before they signed him to an extension?
July 30, 201016 yr Didn't they make a trade offer for him this past off-season? before they signed him to an extension? Yes. They were offering Feliz and Smoak in the offseason.
July 30, 201016 yr Do we look like a pushover? Rangers make me sick. Nothing wrong with asking. They probably knew we'd say no, though especially since we'd probably also have to eat JJ's contract considering that team is bankrupt. This was probably more a PR move than anything else. JJ would instantly make their rotation go from one of the worst in the league two years ago to arguably the best. Also shows they're interested in acquiring a pitcher before the deadline. Could bring about offers from other teams. Sometimes, even when you know a team will say no, asking goes a long way. Psychology exists in baseball and it can be a powerful thing.
July 30, 201016 yr Rangers Inquired On Josh Johnson By Luke Adams [July 29 at 11:46pm CST] While the Rangers and Marlins were working out the trade that sent Jorge Cantu to Texas, the Rangers also took a chance to "reach for the sky" and inquired on the availability of Josh Johnson. According to MLB.com's Joe Frisaro, the Rangers were willing to offer their top three prospects, but were told the Marlins' ace is "unmovable." Johnson, 26, signed a four-year extension worth $39MM with Florida in January, virtually eliminating him as a possible trade chip for the near future. Given his performance this year, which includes a 1.72 ERA over 141.1 IP, Johnson figures to be even more untouchable now than he was at the time of the extension. The Marlins won't trade JJ until 2013.
July 30, 201016 yr The Rangers also asked if the sky minded turning a different color, maybe a muave or a seagreen for one day.
July 30, 201016 yr The only way the Marlins should have considered it would have been if the Rangers had offered Smoak (when they still had him), Feliz, Perez, Hunter, and Teagarden.
July 30, 201016 yr The Rangers REALLY want JJ. Remember at the Winter Meetings they stopped by to offer us Smoak and Feliz when we didn't know if JJ would sign the current deal he has. Now, there really isn't an offer that we should or even consider accepting for JJ, one of the 3 best pitchers in baseball. It would take more than just the Rangers top prospects. It would take a team having to completely deplete their farm system. That's how much I feel the best player in baseball who already has TJ surgery out of the way is worth.
July 30, 201016 yr the only way i trade jj to them is if they give us Feliz, Andrus, and Hamilton and another top prospect which neither side would never do so this is just stupid.
July 30, 201016 yr This isn't really uncommon... A few weeks ago I walked up to the box office and bought my tickets for one of the Rockies-Marlins 4 game series... and I inqured about JJ for myself also. The guy at the window did check with a supervisor for me but they eventually told me he was unavailable. It didn't hurt to ask though.
July 30, 201016 yr If you don't ask, you don't get so even though they knew there was a 0.00000000000000000001% chance of getting JJ, they may as well ask
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.