Loria is deadly serious.

Loria is most definitely not just fiddling around at the edges.

Uggla just found that out in no uncertain terms. As did Maybin and Miller.

A summary of Loria's many recent comments:

On the bullpen:

"We're busy," Loria said. "We needed to make some changes. We needed to improve that defense. We did. We needed to improve that bullpen. And I'm not finished with that bullpen yet, either."

"We lost 27 games last year after the seventh inning -- 27 games!" Loria said. "If we'd won 10 of those games because of the bullpen and four of them because of defense, then it's a different story."

"We lost 27 games after the seventh inning last season," Loria said. "I want the bullpen to be tougher, more seasoned. We've done that already and we're still not done."

On power versus defense:

"Did we win?" Loria said of the long-ball attack. "All great kids. But we need to be better defensively."

On spending in general:

Loria went on to say, "We are putting any money we have [from not resigning Uggla] right back into payroll."

But, as Loria stated, "There's nothing off the table." "We need to make some changes," he said. "We're not fooling around, either."

"We want to move quickly," owner Jeffrey Loria said Wednesday. "You have more choices. We make up our minds relatively quickly."

On Coghlan and CF:

"Coghlan has never played center field, but he talked to me all through the summer and last season: Give me a chance. Give me a chance," said Loria, who said knowing that could have been one of the reasons Cameron Maybin was traded.

On Hanley:

“Do I think he will retire a Marlin? Yes,� Loria said.

“I love Hanley. You can tell everybody in Boston that my wife [Julie] is from Massachusetts [Leominster], she likes Hanley too, and she wouldn’t let me get rid of him. But you never know. We signed him to a seven-year deal for a reason. There’s no reason to think he should not be with us.�

“The rumors are never from us,� Loria said. “The rumors are started by others, others who might like to have him, or see him there. We don’t start those rumors. Hanley is our shortstop. I love him, he knows that, and I hope he retires with us.�

All of the above quotes are from:

http://www.miamihera...h-addition.html

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...ws_mlb&c_id=mlb

http://www.sportingn...ove-defensively

http://fullcount.wee...etire-a-marlin/

The guy is on a mission. I love it. Can't wait to see what we wind up with for the remaining no-longer-Uggla bucks combined with the net from Nunez, Paulino and maybe Badenhop.

Apparently Cogs has a great yearning to play CF. Whether it's a good idea or not, it seems that we're going to find out.

He really loves baseball, and he has a lot of knowledge about his team. I can respect that.

I agree. It's not just every owner who yells at a home plate umpire from a seat near the dugout and gets told to shut up by his own manager. Very Steinbrennerish. Years ago.

Loria, contrary to the claims of his multitude of detractors actually gives a sh!t about this team, and always has. The difference this year seems to be that he's taken charge and is running the show up close and personal. I don't recall him ever making any comments at a GM meeting (or even attending,) never mind making extensive comments about many aspects of the team.

My absolute favorite is:

"We need to make some changes," he said. "We're not fooling around, either."

Words to live by.

It's funny, he tries to spend $50M for Uggla and the toes the line of "we need defense because power wasn't working".

I'm starting to think they threw that very legitimate and fair deal out there thinking (heck, knowing) he wouldn't budge off his 5 year demands. The remarks about them being super ticked off he actually did turn it down was smokescreen stuff. We probably will never know for sure, and I'm not much of a conspiracy theory kinda guy, but it sure looks that way.

The mantra from the FO has always been, "Pitching, defense, and speed." Just seems to me he is becoming more involved to ensure that happens this year. We are near the tops in the league in dingers and scoring runs and where has that gotten us? We are near the worst in defense every year and where has that gotten us? A really good defense makes your starters look better, which saves the pen and makes them look better. Practice what you preach. About damn time.

Speaking of people in the front office, is Mike Hill the most irrelevant GM in the history of the game?

Pretty much. Loria sounds like he is actually very involved at the moment. And we know Beinfest's role.

When he got that position they made a new position for Beinfest. "Promoted" both, so to speak. I always thought, and said at that time, they did that so they could give nice raises to both without raising many eyebrows, but that their roles wouldn't change. So the answer to the question is maybe. But our FO, specifically their roles, is set up differently than others. The position of GM in our system isn't defined the same as GMs in other systems. But when/if Mike does leave us, that title sure does look good on his resume.

He might be talking a lot, but I haven't seen any real meaningful moves. Not striking a deal with Uggla bodes badly on his negotiating skills. If he goes out and does a few things like sign Pavano and Jayson Werth along with bringing Leo Nuñez back next year while bringing in a long reliever and a solid bat off the bench, I'd raise my eyebrows. Until now, he has a ways to go to prove to the fans they should back him next season...

It's funny, he tries to spend $50M for Uggla and the toes the line of "we need defense because power wasn't working".

Right, if Uggla agrees to 4/50, well then power's okay... :confused

But yes they indicated the team needed to get back to pitching and defense and they certainly have followed through on that.

He really loves baseball, and he has a lot of knowledge about his team. I can respect that.

Maybe it would be better if he didn't know a lot about Baseball? He might spend more money instead of trying to micromanage?

Maybe he'd spend more money if fans actually showed up to the stadium, on a consistent basis.

Maybe it would be better if he didn't know a lot about Baseball? He might spend more money instead of trying to micromanage?

Maybe he'd spend more money if fans actually showed up to the stadium, on a consistent basis.

That will be the basis of the slogan for mlb.com in 2012... "No excuses, people. SHOW UP!"

and Perry Hill hopefully will help.

And right now that's the big question mark. He preaches positioning trumps range. To an extent I agree. But positioning does not trump capabilities. As it stands right now, IF errors should decrease next season. But not enough yet.

Package some players together to go out and get us a CF/lead off hitter, move LoMo to 1B, Cogs to LF, our ex-Brave at 2B, and worst case scenario bring in some minor league signings for competition at 3B during ST.