Badenhop and Gotay signed

Iowa

Marlins signed RHP Burke Badenhop to a one-year contract.

Badenhop, 27, turned in a solid 3.99 ERA and 1.23 WHIP over 67 2/3 innings this year for the Fish. He also posted quality numbers on a month-long stint in the minors. He will return to his role in middle relief.

Marlins signed INF Ruben Gotay to a minor league contract.

Gotay posted a respectable .285/.410/.436 batting line in 577 plate appearances this past season for the Cardinals' Triple-A affiliate. He's only 27 and could climb to the majors in south Florida next year.

Yes! I'm glad Badenhop is back, hopefully ready to shine in middle relief. I don't think we'll have to use him as much this upcoming year, which should make him more effective.

I thought Gotay was still with the Mets. But still a good signing, doesn't hurt to have depth in AAA with MLB experiance. Especially in the INF.

Looking at Hopper's stats, I'm actually pretty impressed. 3.99 ERA and 1.23 WHIP look pretty nice (average WHIP is 1.35 - 1.40 usually).

His Line Drive % has gone down each year - 20%, 18%, and an impressive 13% last year (league average ~19%).

His ground ball/fly ball ratios have also improved each year: 1.20, 1.24, 1.33. League average is .79. Well over 50% above average there.

One negative is that his strikeouts were the lowest last year, only 6.3/9 innings. But his Walks/9 have gone down each season: 4.0, 3.0, 2.8 last year.

I think he's become a really effective pitcher, and he doesn't give up a lot of free passes or homeruns. I'm glad to see him tendered, and I'd prefer that he isn't traded.

i remember gotay when he was with the royals and angel berroa.

like the burke signing but i have to say im not quite happy that veras will be non-tendered.

You really like Jose Veras way too much.

i just think hes a solid dependable arm who has great stuff and showed what he can do last year. though brian sanches had a solid year, its safe to say his innings werent as important and i dont see why hes such a lock over veras.

like the burke signing but i have to say im not quite happy that veras will be non-tendered.

i just think hes a solid dependable arm who has great stuff and showed what he can do last year. though brian sanches had a solid year, its safe to say his innings werent as important and i dont see why hes such a lock over veras.

Brian Sanches is cheap/under club control/still has options.

Gotay is next year's Hector Luna

Pretty much. The only difference is that Gotay is a switch-hitter (much better hitter from the left side, for what it's worth).

If he were any good defensively, I'd call him a stopgap in case Dominguez fails in ST/they really want to go with Coghlan in CF; however, Gotay hasn't been good defensively, so I'm guessing it's strictly an AAA/depth move.

sanches is due for a raise and i know he didnt log significant innings before 2009 but hes not arb eligible?

also i dont think veras would be that expensive. maybe 850k but thats the marlins i guess.

why does everyone think the marlins will get upton? yes there were rumors but they are the last team that will take on the 45 something million he has left on the deal.

sanches is due for a raise and i know he didnt log significant innings before 2009 but hes not arb eligible?

also i dont think veras would be that expensive. maybe 850k but thats the marlins i guess.

why does everyone think the marlins will get upton? yes there were rumors but they are the last team that will take on the 45 something million he has left on the deal.

$4.25 million in 2011, $6.75 million in 2012, $9.75 million in 2013, $14.25 million in 2014 and $14.5 million in 2015.

The big money doesn't come for another 3 yrs, by then it would seem rational to believe that our payroll parameters can accomodate it , but if they can't we get a prospect heist from one of the assortment of large revenue teams that would no doubt by interested in an Upton in his prime. A absolute no-brainer.

Sanches becomes arb. eligible in 2012.

Veras probably isn't worth more than a minor league contract. 850k major league contract is just unnecessary. We actually have a bullpen this year.

With that said, our bullpen is missing the "lefty reliever," as everyone keeps saying; well, a lefty reliever has just been non-tendered...J.P. Howell.

Badenhop will make the roster.

Sanabia will begin in AAA, unless someone gets hurt.

Or Nolasco goes to Arizona.

who gets demoted from their job when they performed far above expectation? doesn't make sense

because the marlins FO said that they rushed sanabia last season due to injuries on the big league team. with a solid rotation and bullpen next season there is no need to keep sanabia up for garbage innings when he could instead be developing and fine-tuning his pitches in the minors