Edgar Renteria

According to MLB rumors, Renteria has narrowed his options down to Giants, Cards, and Marlins.

With all of the fans talking about Joe Crede, etc. why not let Edgar Renteria finish his career with the Fish? I understand we need a lefty bat but as far as leadership goes (yes, it's really important to a team Erick- read the article on flamarlins.com with real manager quotes), Renteria is awesome and could really mentor Hanley. Realistically, Edgar has even mentioned a move to 2nd base, which would be a perfect fallback option (better option than Bonifacio) for Infante, who is due for a down year.

Injury prone, yes- but leadership wise, Edgar can be a valuable asset to a contending team with a productive 200 ABs.

Look at this bench:

Wes Helms

Edgar Renteria

Emilio Bonifacio

John Baker

Lefty Bat

Lets look at this, First the Marlins already have a shortstop, second Renteria has played over 2,000 games in the Majors and has played all but one of those at short (it was at 1b), third any inclusion of a bench with John Baker is lacking a back-up catcher, Finally he'll want more money than the Marlins can afford.

According to MLB rumors, Renteria has narrowed his options down to Giants, Cards, and Marlins.

With all of the fans talking about Joe Crede, etc. why not let Edgar Renteria finish his career with the Fish? I understand we need a lefty bat but as far as leadership goes (yes, it's really important to a team Erick- read the article on flamarlins.com with real manager quotes), Renteria is awesome and could really mentor Hanley. Realistically, Edgar has even mentioned a move to 2nd base, which would be a perfect fallback option (better option than Bonifacio) for Infante, who is due for a down year.

Injury prone, yes- but leadership wise, Edgar can be a valuable asset to a contending team with a productive 200 ABs.

Look at this bench:

Wes Helms

Edgar Renteria

Emilio Bonifacio

John Baker

Lefty Bat

http://www.marlinsbaseball.com/topic/93657-how-about-jim-thome/page__view__findpost__p__1991202

Look at this bench:

Wes Helms

Edgar Renteria

Emilio Bonifacio

John Baker

Lefty Bat

Not sure why you're bringing up my name on this thread when I was the first to say earlier this offseason that I wouldn't have minded Renteria on the team. Then again, I don't see the point now considering that we got Infante in the Uggla trade. Seems whatever-ish to me.

The Marlins don't have the money to spend on leadership, and they certainly don't have the leftover money to spend on it on a guy who might bring two more fans out to the stadium this year. So those are two stupid reasons to sign the guy.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind Edgar only because I love the man to death, but as it has been pointed out already, we're better off with other in-house options.

Also, just to confirm, are you indeed the person i was talking about here?

If this is indeed WildMarlinMan2003, then I believe his life goes something like this:

He is a D1 basketball coach (which, at 26-years-old, makes him the youngest D1 coach). He's also the general manager of a 5-star resort. He played in the Little League World Series. His father is some sort of former college baseball coach. His father is also a high level official for NASA, where he is also an electrical engineer. He has family in the CIA and that do covert ops, which allows him to talk the TRUTH about the government.

And let's not even go into the fact that he believes the NFL is as real as WWE thanks to Joe Nameth, Pete Rozelle, and JFK; all the cars stolen in Arizona were stolen by illegal aliens; and Obama is the Anti-Christ.

So I think we should take such a well traveled man seriously.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind Edgar only because I love the man to death, but as it has been pointed out already, we're better off with other in-house options.

If this is indeed WildMarlinMan2003, then I believe his life goes something like this:

He is a D1 basketball coach (which, at 26-years-old, makes him the youngest D1 coach). He's also the general manager of a 5-star resort. He played in the Little League World Series. His father is some sort of former college baseball coach. His father is also a high level official for NASA, where he is also an electrical engineer. He has family in the CIA and that do covert ops, which allows him to talk the TRUTH about the government.

And let's not even go into the fact that he believes the NFL is as real as WWE thanks to Joe Nameth, Pete Rozelle, and JFK; all the cars stolen in Arizona were stolen by illegal aliens; and Obama is the Anti-Christ.

That was such an epic post. Post of the Year perhaps

Look at this bench:

Wes Helms

Edgar Renteria

Emilio Bonifacio

John Baker

Lefty Bat

Not sure why you're bringing up my name on this thread when I was the first to say earlier this offseason that I wouldn't have minded Renteria on the team. Then again, I don't see the point now considering that we got Infante in the Uggla trade. Seems whatever-ish to me.

The Marlins don't have the money to spend on leadership, and they certainly don't have the leftover money to spend on it on a guy who might bring two more fans out to the stadium this year. So those are two stupid reasons to sign the guy.

"Stupid" is too hard a word to use. The leadership role is a good point because Hanley does need to learn that. But Renteria isn't the answer. $1 mil to Wes is one thing, but to spend the type of $$$ that Edgar would want is something totally different. It's not that we don't have the $$$, it's just that that $$$ could be better spent. He's just not a good fit here. It wasn't a good idea earlier this off season, and it's not now.

Look at this bench:

Wes Helms

Edgar Renteria

Emilio Bonifacio

John Baker

Lefty Bat

"Stupid" is too hard a word to use. The leadership role is a good point because Hanley does need to learn that. But Renteria isn't the answer. $1 mil to Wes is one thing, but to spend the type of $$$ that Edgar would want is something totally different. It's not that we don't have the $$$, it's just that that $$$ could be better spent. He's just not a good fit here. It wasn't a good idea earlier this off season, and it's not now.

I think you're completely overestimating the amount of money Edgar's going to get. He's a guy who lost his starting job last year, is old (will be "34", will play like he's 44), had a couple injuries that cut his season in half, and hasn't been good since 2007. I can't imagine that he'll command much of a salary at all.

That was such an epic post. Post of the Year perhaps

I 2nd that motion. Thanks Rabb, I needed a good laugh this morning.

Look at this bench:

Wes Helms

Edgar Renteria

Emilio Bonifacio

John Baker

Lefty Bat

I think you're completely overestimating the amount of money Edgar's going to get. He's a guy who lost his starting job last year, is old (will be "34", will play like he's 44), had a couple injuries that cut his season in half, and hasn't been good since 2007. I can't imagine that he'll command much of a salary at all.

A guy that we really have no position for, is now an injury question, has lost a step or two, "hasn't been good since 2007", and isn't exactly bringing alot of interest. Anything over a minor league deal is too expensive. Don't let your heart dictate his worth to us. He may fit into some other team's needs, just not ours. Pass and wish him luck.

If we are continuing to look for lefty relief pitchers then it would be worth it for the Marlins to bring in Dontrelle Willis on a minor league contract.

People say he's done, but he is still young and could develop into a decent RP- we know the heart is at least into it.

Great reason.

While we're at it, lets bring back Josias Manzanillio, too; we know the balls will at least be into it.

If we are continuing to look for lefty relief pitchers then it would be worth it for the Marlins to bring in Dontrelle Willis on a minor league contract.

People say he's done, but he is still young and could develop into a decent RP- we know the heart is at least into it.

Is this about you?

Marlins May Be Interested In Edgar Renteria:

The Marlins appear to be interested in bringing Edgar Renteria back, according to MLB.com's Joe Frisaro. The 34-year-old has an offer to return to San Francisco for about $1MM, but has said he would like to return to St. Louis or Florida to finish his career.

Renteria has said he's open to playing second base if it helps him land a desirable job. The Marlins could have him back up Omar Infante and Hanley Ramirez up the middle and provide insurance in case prospect Matt Dominguez struggles at third base.

Renteria batted .276/.332/.374 in 267 plate appearances last year, missing time with elbow, groin, hamstring and shoulder injuries before returning to form and winning the World Series MVP.

Renteria spent the first three seasons of his career with the Marlins from 1996-98. He made one All-Star team while in Florida and helped the Marlins to their first World Series championship in 1997.