You never know what kids will say...

Hey guys, just wanted to share a quick story...

I'm an elementary school teacher and I'm always full of hilarious stories based on the random things that kids do and say. Today I had a Marlins moment with a kid that made me chuckle, figured you'd get a smile out of it...

The kids know I'm a huge Marlins fan, as my classroom is loaded with all-things Marlins, and today a fourth grader comes up to me and we had this conversation..

"Hey Mr. B, have you ever gotten an autograph from a famous athlete?"

"Yep! And plenty of Marlins ones of course!"

"Really? Like who?"

"Well, I've got a signed baseball from Miguel Cabrera!"

...I was sure I trumped him with this one, what 9 year old kid is gonna top a Miguel Cabrera signed basball? Well, he looks me dead in the eye, shrugs it off and says...

"Oh. So? I've got Wes Helms."

I just clenched my teeth and smirked as I tried to desperately hold in my laughter. Cute moment, but its funny how these kids perceive things sometimes. And right away, after saying one final comment that was probably something like "Ahhh, ok, thaaaat's nice." I immedietaly told myself that I had to post that moment on here. Hope you got a kick out of that! Thanks for listening!

Holy Crap.

My students call me Mr. B, too...

Yeah and part of me cant stand it. Number 1, I consider it laziness cuz they refuse to say my whole last name, and secondly, I don't like it cause when most of them say it I sound like a creepy neighbor on a sitcom from the 70's. Like I'm the mailman or some other loser that shows up every few episodes for a cheap laugh. Lol, "How ya doin Mr. B?"

Holy Crap.

At least you guys get an initial. My wife teaches HS Psych and either is called "Miss" or "Chappy", not "Mrs. Chapman" or even "Mrs. C." It's kind of a rough area, so she long ago gave up trying to change the behavior.

I just clenched my teeth and smirked as I tried to desperately hold in my laughter. Cute moment, but its funny how these kids perceive things sometimes. And right away, after saying one final comment that was probably something like "Ahhh, ok, thaaaat's nice." I immedietaly told myself that I had to post that moment on here. Hope you got a kick out of that! Thanks for listening!

Probably has to do with the fact that's the only autograph they have, so even though Miggy is a better player (and much harder signature to acquire), Wes' is still tops in his books because they have no personal frame of reference. I remember getting my first autograph, Derek Bell waaaayyyy back in '91 after he was comign off his rookie season w/ the Blue Jays. I thought he was the best player in baseball for a good year or so until I got my second, Craig Biggio.

What's even funnier is the kid's got something on me, because I have yet to track Wes down. Kind of like Bob Natal, which increduously took me 7 years to get his signature, when he was a coach w/ the Expos I believe. I have just about everybody from the Inagural team, 2 pages of Gary Sheffields and even Bobby Bo, but the backup catcher?!? When I told him how big a Marlins fan I was but never got his auotgraph before, he straight up laughed in my face and said, "Kid, I was the easisest player to get!" Of course, he made up lost time by signing everything I had for him, like 10 cards.

In related news, I see Bob's the catching coordinator for the Mutts now.

Holy Crap.

Yeah and part of me cant stand it. Number 1, I consider it laziness cuz they refuse to say my whole last name, and secondly, I don't like it cause when most of them say it I sound like a creepy neighbor on a sitcom from the 70's. Like I'm the mailman or some other loser that shows up every few episodes for a cheap laugh. Lol, "How ya doin Mr. B?"

There's another reason you shouldn't like being called Mr. B.....

Warning: Cannot be unseen.

Holy Crap.

There's another reason you shouldn't like being called Mr. B.....

Warning: Cannot be unseen.

That was sooo creepy