Stadium test run

Hurricane

Last year in 2010 when the Twins opened their new park, they had a test run with several college teams playing there before the big boys arrived. Does anyone know if they are planning something like this for the new ballpark ? If so could we see possible a Gators vs Hurricanes match up there next year ? I think that would be awesome, draw a large crowd, and its the year that the Gators visit Miami (they play in Gainsville this year - next weekend). Do you think that they may seek to hold a future ACC Tournament there ? Maybe even an NCAA basketball tournament weekend ? Those are in March, before we play.

Does anyone think it would be a good idea for a test run on the place ?

Plan is to open it in March 2012 and have at least 1 college game along with at least 1 exhibition MLB game there before the season starts.

I think I read the same article. IIRC, it mentioned one Canes game and one ST game prior to the Marlin's opener. BUT, it also mentioned that they want to attract a Superbowl in the future.

That will really upset the purists.

I think that would be appropriate. For every 1,000 baseball games, we'll allow one football game to be played in our baseball stadium.

Plan is to open it in March 2012 and have at least 1 college game along with at least 1 exhibition MLB game there before the season starts.

I think I read the same article. IIRC, it mentioned one Canes game and one ST game prior to the Marlin's opener. BUT, it also mentioned that they want to attract a Superbowl in the future.

I think that would be appropriate. For every 1,000 baseball games, we'll allow one football game to be played in our baseball stadium.

Superbowl in a stadium with 37,000 seats? Highly unlikely... I believe they want to attract a lower level college bowl game or something like the Under-Armour All-American High School Senior Game.

I was under the impression that the stadium would've be fully completed until a few months into 2012, and that we were planning on playing with a few bits of the walkways and stuff under construction. If that's true, then I doubt anything will be played until fairly close to the regular-season.

I was under the impression that the stadium would've be fully completed until a few months into 2012, and that we were planning on playing with a few bits of the walkways and stuff under construction. If that's true, then I doubt anything will be played until fairly close to the regular-season.

I don't think that would be wise to have construction continuing with Stanton there. Hit the wrong spot, and everyone in the left field seats is GONE.

This is if we don't have any delays. They will set dates after this hurricane season is over. All this info is at marlins.com for anyone interested in reading it. Same article that talks about the first seat being installed and the BP that went on there that day. It also says that naming rights will be announced by Opening Day this year.

Superbowl in a stadium with 37,000 seats? Highly unlikely... I believe they want to attract a lower level college bowl game or something like the Under-Armour All-American High School Senior Game.

Yep. Somebody in a moment of over zealousness (or maybe just upset because the NFL has put Joe Robbie on hold until renovations are done) mentioned maybe a SB there, and off goes the rumor. 37K is a big no-go for a SB. Even a small, insignificant Bowl Game is real iffy. That HS game sounds like it would work.

I'm pretty sure all of us on here will boycott those opening test runs and just not even look at them. To us, we know what the real opening day is.

Boycott them? Don't see why. Seems like a pretty good oportunity for the fans to do a test run as well. Parking, arriving and leaving the place, getting aquanted with the amenities, etc...

Come to think of it, it looks like a good chance for the powers that be to get a grip on things before Opening Day. Make tweeks in traffic flow, stadium security, parking, etc... Long list there to get a smooth operation in place to help ensure a great Marlins Opening Day extravaganza. Why go into something like that on a wing and a prayer?

I wouldn't be surprised to see World Baseball Classic games there. Weather will be perfect, the Latin American countries do well attendance-wise here, and it'll be good for the stadium to get national publicity. Have they announced the venues yet?

Edit: Just realized they are now doing it every 4 years...so 2006, 2009, next one will be 2013 and then 2017.

Come to think of it, it looks like a good chance for the powers that be to get a grip on things before Opening Day. Make tweeks in traffic flow, stadium security, parking, etc... Long list there to get a smooth operation in place to help ensure a great Marlins Opening Day extravaganza. Why go into something like that on a wing and a prayer?

That's exactly why most places like this have "soft" openings using events such as the ones listed above to do precisely what you mentioned - see how everything works, discover issues that may pop up, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised to see World Baseball Classic games there. Weather will be perfect, the Latin American countries do well attendance-wise here, and it'll be good for the stadium to get national publicity. Have they announced the venues yet?

Edit: Just realized they are now doing it every 4 years...so 2006, 2009, next one will be 2013 and then 2017.

Yes, I think they're trying to host WBC games - I think there was talk of perhaps even the WBC finals at one point too.

That's exactly why most places like this have "soft" openings using events such as the ones listed above to do precisely what you mentioned - see how everything works, discover issues that may pop up, etc.

Yes, I think they're trying to host WBC games - I think there was talk of perhaps even the WBC finals at one point too.

Will Japan be dethroned?! Find out in 2013! Assuming we're still here!

Yep. To me it just makes sense to do that. No plan is perfect and doing a test run or two can provide some much needed insight. A test run for the fans is just a good by-product.

For those that live or work in that area and know their way around, it's one thing. You all know the back streets/alternate routes to take when the roads are crowded. We went there yesterday before FanFest and even tho we are getting used to the main route, I can't imagine those streets with a few thousand extra cars trying to get home after a game. Plus with a good number of those being impaired drivers. Add in visiting fans that may also be impaired. Couple little fender benders and drive time could skyrocket.

Maybe I just need a better GPS. We will have another Santa sighting before then. Guess I should start drafting my letter now.

I remember those discussions as well. I think you can pretty much count on the games. The finals would be a nice touch. And let's not forget an ASG, probably within the first 3 years.

I remember those discussions as well. I think you can pretty much count on the games. The finals would be a nice touch. And let's not forget an ASG, probably within the first 3 years.

Yup, there'll be WBC games for sure. As you said the finals would be nice too.

Regarding the ASG - the Marlins are trying to get the 2015 ASG

The 2011-2013 games have been announced:

2011 - Arizona

2012 - Kansas City

2013 - New York (Mets)

Minnesota is trying to get the 2014 ASG, while both the Marlins and Nationals are apparently requesting the 2015 game.

Minnesota is trying to get the 2014 ASG

After the Senators moved to Minnesota in '61 I remember reading in '63 (I was 11 at the time) that the '65 ASG was going to be played in Metropolitan Stadium (a truly pitiful excuse for a stadium, but chain-link outfield fences notwithstanding, it had the ML imprimatur and to my young eyes that field was a thing of beauty.) It was the same thing they still do today, giving an expansion team or a new stadium the spotlight.

MLB at the time having 20 teams, I instantly seized on the fact that this was not likely to happen again before I was about 33 years old and tried to convince my parents that we simply HAD to go to this game. Somehow, they didn't see the same urgency that I did. Holy crap. How can parents be that stupid? It was a once or twice opportunity of a lifetime for any baseball fan, you HAVE to go. The tickets were like 10 bucks (maybe equivalent to about $50 today, still peanuts for an ASG.) Oh, well.

'65 turned out to be the year that the Twins not only hosted the ASG, but wound up losing to the Dodgers in their first World Series. It was a great year for Twins fans.

Yup, there'll be WBC games for sure. As you said the finals would be nice too.

Regarding the ASG - the Marlins are trying to get the 2015 ASG

The 2011-2013 games have been announced:

2011 - Arizona

2012 - Kansas City

2013 - New York (Mets)

Minnesota is trying to get the 2014 ASG, while both the Marlins and Nationals are apparently requesting the 2015 game.

Giving it to the Nationals before the Marlins would be unfair. We've been waiting for the game since 1993, and already had one taken away, seen Colorado already get one, and Arizona is getting theirs this year. Make Washington wait even until after one goes to Tampa (they have to get a new stadium within the next 4 or 5 years).

Giving it to the Nationals before the Marlins would be unfair. We've been waiting for the game since 1993, and already had one taken away, seen Colorado already get one, and Arizona is getting theirs this year. Make Washington wait even until after one goes to Tampa (they have to get a new stadium within the next 4 or 5 years).

So.. what you're saying is.. the Nationals are insignificant therefore the league should make us happy first?

Sorry, the league screwed things up with the ASG. We play in a football stadium, it's completely fair to pass on us.

No, if we have to wait 3 or 4 years after opening a new stadium, so does Tampa. The Marlins and Washington, in whatever order, both deserve an ASG.

So.. what you're saying is.. the Nationals are insignificant therefore the league should make us happy first?

Sorry, the league screwed things up with the ASG. We play in a football stadium, it's completely fair to pass on us.

No, if we have to wait 3 or 4 years after opening a new stadium, so does Tampa. The Marlins and Washington, in whatever order, both deserve an ASG.

Regardless of where we played, this franchise hasn't seen an All-Star Game in its history and our fans have never had an ASG in our city. People living in Washington have been waiting for much less. We're definitely going to get it before they do.