Is there any reliever on the Marlins that we can be confident in?

I don't totally agree but i don't totally disagree either, I think we are starting to see our bullpen come back to earth and the only consistent pitcher that hasn't faltered is Choate.

Dunn is normally good and Leo has been better than years past.

Hensley seems to have dropped a little.

It does suck though when you see the bullpen do so well then slide a little bit but I mean they are still pretty impressive and better than last year, so far so, I hope they hold up all year long.

SERIOUSLY?! I know I was gone for a while, but this was a real thread?!

I mean, I'm just about NEVER worried by any of our pen pitchers (though Mujica is starting to get to me).

Mujica's probably been our best middle reliever.

EDIT: Scratch the word probably. He simply has been, and should be our primary setup guy right now. This would allow Dunn to focus on some more favorable lefty matchups, along with Choate. Not sure why Edwin is set on having one setup guy right now, instead of going with some matchups.

I mean, I'm just about NEVER worried by any of our pen pitchers (though Mujica is starting to get to me).

EDIT: Scratch the word probably. He simply has been, and should be our primary setup guy right now. This would allow Dunn to focus on some more favorable lefty matchups, along with Choate. Not sure why Edwin is set on having one setup guy right now, instead of going with some matchups.

Looking at the gamelogs, it looks like Mujica only does well when I have to miss the game. Mujica has Rab-shyness.

But yeah, I remove my protest of Mujica, sometimes eyes and memories lie.

I still love Clay Hensley in that 8th inning role when he gets back. He's only given up runs in 3 games. Hell, he's only given up HITS in 2 games in his last 10 games before going down.

Looking at the gamelogs, it looks like Mujica only does well when I have to miss the game. Mujica has Rab-shyness.

I still love Clay Hensley in that 8th inning role when he gets back. He's only given up runs in 3 games. Hell, he's only given up HITS in 2 games in his last 10 games before going down.

Clay's walks were up, and K's were way down. He also wasn't getting groundballs like he normally does.

I hope that just had to do with his injury; I think he'll be the 8th inning guy when he gets back, as well.

Clay's walks were up, and K's were way down. He also wasn't getting groundballs like he normally does.

I hope that just had to do with his injury; I think he'll be the 8th inning guy when he gets back, as well.

Well, he had only given up 2 walks before the first bad game where he had hurt himself.

I do think it's a problem that we're relying on it way too much, though.

Leo Nunez is on pace for 88 appearances.

I don't think appearances is the issue. Is he working more than one inning? Is he working constant triple days? It's all about the stress on his arm. Answer is no to both of those. These guys can handle it if they are used correctly in 1 inning bursts. I think they are doing a good job of spreading out the innings with Leo here. I think his use will trail off a little, but I see no reason why he can't be an 80 inning reliever versus a high 60s guy. Marlins just have to keep it up and use Sanches, Mujica, Badenhop, and Webb group as the 1+ inning relievers, and just be careful where to pick and choose with Leo as he really needs to be reserved for only critical innings.

Also want to throw out, Choate's last 10 outs he has 8 strikeouts, no base runners. I'm really proud of Edwin for going to extremes to LOOGY him. I think it's amazing the Marlins are paying this guy on a two year contract when he's on pace for under 30 innings this year.

I do think it's a problem that we're relying on it way too much, though.

Leo Nunez is on pace for 88 appearances.

I don't think appearances is the issue. Is he working more than one inning? Is he working constant triple days? It's all about the stress on his arm. Answer is no to both of those. These guys can handle it if they are used correctly in 1 inning bursts. I think they are doing a good job of spreading out the innings with Leo here. I think his use will trail off a little, but I see no reason why he can't be an 80 inning reliever versus a high 60s guy. Marlins just have to keep it up and use Sanches, Mujica, Badenhop, and Webb group as the 1+ inning relievers, and just be careful where to pick and choose with Leo as he really needs to be reserved for only critical innings.

Also want to throw out, Choate's last 10 outs he has 8 strikeouts, no base runners. I'm really proud of Edwin for going to extremes to LOOGY him. I think it's amazing the Marlins are paying this guy on a two year contract when he's on pace for under 30 innings this year.

Well, he's currently on pace for 83.2 innings; that's 15 more than his career high.

He's a former starter, so I hope it's not a big deal. He's had struggles in his career in the later months of the year (August, for example); I'm not sure if that's a result of him being more fatigued the more he pitches, or if it's just coincidental.

As for the Choate contract, it's a bargain, in this day and age. Pedro Feliciano, another LOOGY, got 2 yrs./8 million from the Yankees. Relievers are just grossly overpaid, nowadays.

• 3 weeks later...

I bet you smile after every run they allow just so you can resort back to this thread!

Not really. When I first posted this I was just looking for friendly banter. Then personal jabs were taken as if these other posters knew everything and what I had to say was garbage.

Instead, the bullpen is garbage.

I bet you smile after every run they allow just so you can resort back to this thread!

Not really. When I first posted this I was just looking for friendly banter. Then personal jabs were taken as if these other posters knew everything and what I had to say was garbage.

Instead, the bullpen is garbage.

Yes, a 3.52 ERA is garbage.

Ricky Nolasco must be the definition of sh*t.