Mike Stanton for Home Run Derby Participant

dim

http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2011-06-10/marlins-mike-stanton-would-be-welcome-addition-to-home-run-derby

Want to spice up the All-Star festivities? Here's your chance: Vote for Marlins right fielder Mike Stanton to participate in the Home Run Derby fan poll.

The 21-year-old 240-pounder is becoming known for his tape-measure shots, and according to hittrackeronline.com, he already owns the longest homers this season at Citi Field (465 feet) and Dolphins Stadium (428). He is tied for fifth in the N.L. with 14 homers.

Mike Stanton has shown impressive power this year. (AP photo) He also has been putting on shows during batting practice, notably at AT&T Park when he sent one to the big Coca-Cola bottle beyond the left-field seats.

Getting Stanton into the derby is a long shot. He's not likely to make the All-Star team, which typically is a prerequisite. Also, he's not even listed on the Fan Poll ballot at mlb.com. But you can write him in. Because MLB ultimately decides the participants, Stanton would have a chance even if he's not voted one of the top four.

Jose Bautista and Albert Pujols lead the latest poll voting.

When you talk to Stanton, he seems almost sheepish about his ability to hit a baseball so far. Asked if he can tell the difference when he connects on a 400-footer compared to a 450-footer, he shrugged. "I'm not worried about that. They all count the same," he said.

The campaign has begun.

I would keep this in the Man Crush Thread, but I feel this deserves its own thread.

The fan voting doesn't determine who gets voted in. I don't think there is one player who would make for a more exciting Home Run Derby than Mike Stanton. However you can, try and spread the word around, try and create a viral campaign. I think if we really tried at this, as a unit, Marlins fans could get Stanton there (if he continues his current pace).

Please, Please, Please DO NOT put Stanton in the HR derby!! :nono

Yes he has prodigious power, yes he could put on a Hell of a show,

BUT the HR derby F*%Ks with a players swing way too much.

First, Stanton's swing is designed for this; watch him take batting practice sometimes.

Secondly, your theory is utterly unsupported by empirical data. Maybe someone can dig up that little exchange from a thread a little while back (I recall Rab being involved) that ripped apart this "theory."

Please, Please, Please DO NOT put Stanton in the HR derby!! :nono

Yes he has prodigious power, yes he could put on a Hell of a show,

BUT the HR derby F*%Ks with a players swing way too much.

First, Stanton's swing is designed for this; watch him take batting practice sometimes.

Secondly, your theory is utterly unsupported by empirical data. Maybe someone can dig up that little exchange from a thread a little while back (I recall Rab being involved) that ripped apart this "theory."

okay I'll bite and fire the first shot

Bobby Abreu 2005, he was most definetly not the same hitter after the HR derby. Give Stanton a few years in "The Show" when he's learned to hit (maybe Eduardo can help) like he projects to be able to, then let him win it every year

There has been a decline in the HR% of HR Derby participants in the 2nd half compared to the 1st half. Those are the facts according to people who have crunched the actual numbers. But noone knows what the cause for the decline is. But the decline is there.

It's happening, Rab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If he gets on the roster, I'd say it's likely that he gets into the derby.

With Johnson hurt right now, I think that it should be between Gaby and Stanton for the role of Marlins' representative. If Stanton manages to stay near the top of the league in home runs, it should be him over Gaby. Remember that Stanton's OPS is higher right now due to his power.

I think it would be wise for MLB to have him in there .... his shots are electric and they get talked about in the national media a bit as it is ...... when he comes into town his BP sessions are talked about on local radio for being very impressive ..... would be a good way for MLB to promote a young, exciting star .... he's pretty much built for this

also, i'm a bit biased because I'll be in the building and would love to cheer on a marlin