September 16, 201115 yr Not looking at the record, given the good start and heavy fall out, a horrid June and August, along with a change of coaches, terrible injuries, teammate feuds, and a circus on and off the field, do you think that 2011 was the worst year in Marlins history?
September 16, 201115 yr Yes, because nobody expected anything good out of the 1998 team. The collapse of effort and health from the end of May onward has made this a lost season. There is nothing good about the season, even Stanton is just "as expected"
September 16, 201115 yr '98 was the worst, though this one isn't far behind. Even though we were expected to be the worst team by far the front office did even more to pour salt on the wound by trading away even more as the season progressed. It sucks starting from day 1 knowing you're going to lose 100 games and watching the front office do even more to assure it. This season, at least we got a few entertaining months at the start and we actually had a bit of a run post-June to get back around .500 before crashing again. There's been a lot of but a few highs as well this year, '98 was nothing but rock bottom from start to finish.
September 16, 201115 yr At least with the fiascos of 98 & 99 the Marlins were rewarded with Josh Beckett and Adrian Gonzalez, with the current brain trust players of that caliber won't be drafted. I think the 2005 season ranks up there as frustrating, but this year from production, injuries and outside issues has been a complete and utter disappointment.
September 16, 201115 yr At least with the fiascos of 98 & 99 the Marlins were rewarded with Josh Beckett and Adrian Gonzalez, with the current brain trust players of that caliber won't be drafted. I think the 2005 season ranks up there as frustrating, but this year from production, injuries and outside issues has been a complete and utter disappointment. You don't think Josh Johnson and Mike Stanton are players of high caliber?
September 16, 201115 yr At least with the fiascos of 98 & 99 the Marlins were rewarded with Josh Beckett and Adrian Gonzalez, with the current brain trust players of that caliber won't be drafted. I think the 2005 season ranks up there as frustrating, but this year from production, injuries and outside issues has been a complete and utter disappointment. Yeah you're right, the current brain trust has never drafted a good player.
September 16, 201115 yr At least with the fiascos of 98 & 99 the Marlins were rewarded with Josh Beckett and Adrian Gonzalez, with the current brain trust players of that caliber won't be drafted. I think the 2005 season ranks up there as frustrating, but this year from production, injuries and outside issues has been a complete and utter disappointment. Yeah you're right, the current brain trust has never drafted a good player. Yeah, Mike Stanton sucks. Let's get rid of him. Can we trade him to Detroit for 6 can't miss prospects?
September 16, 201115 yr '98 was much worse, a completely irrelevant season, while this one was just largely irrelevant. This has been the worst since '98 though, despite the fast start and the surge to .500 I never thought this team was equipped enough to make any sort of run, not with the Phillies and Braves ruling this division. Even at full strength there is an astronomical gap between our squad and the contenders.
September 16, 201115 yr I wonder how many saying this season WASN'T that bad are still watching the games.
September 16, 201115 yr I wonder how many saying this season WASN'T that bad are still watching the games. Who's saying that?
September 16, 201115 yr At least with the fiascos of 98 & 99 the Marlins were rewarded with Josh Beckett and Adrian Gonzalez, with the current brain trust players of that caliber won't be drafted. I think the 2005 season ranks up there as frustrating, but this year from production, injuries and outside issues has been a complete and utter disappointment. Yeah you're right, the current brain trust has never drafted a good player. I'm sorry I broke the cardinal rule never disagree with Erick, as always you know know far more than anyone else, please forgive my ignorance. Of course Stanton wasn't a first round pick(many doubted he would sign, so more like blind luck on that selection) and neither was Johnson(if he could only stay healthy).
September 16, 201115 yr I wonder how many saying this season WASN'T that bad are still watching the games. I don't think it's been too awful. if you would have told me before the season that Josh Johnson and Hanley Ramirez would have significant injuries this year, I probably wouldn't have expected them to be a .500 team. I mean, we're in the same division as the Phillies and the Braves. + I'm still watching.
September 16, 201115 yr I'm sorry I broke the cardinal rule never disagree with Erick, as always you know know far more than anyone else, please forgive my ignorance. Of course Stanton wasn't a first round pick(many doubted he would sign, so more like blind luck on that selection) and neither was Johnson(if he could only stay healthy). Why should anyone give a rat's ass what round the amazing player was drafted? That year 2000 NFL draft really sucked for the Patriots - they got nothing in the 1st round!
September 17, 201115 yr I'm sorry I broke the cardinal rule never disagree with Erick, as always you know know far more than anyone else, please forgive my ignorance. Of course Stanton wasn't a first round pick(many doubted he would sign, so more like blind luck on that selection) and neither was Johnson(if he could only stay healthy). Why should anyone give a rat's ass what round the amazing player was drafted? That year 2000 NFL draft really sucked for the Patriots - they got nothing in the 1st round! Seriously. And LOL @ blind luck with Stanton. I'm sure you're one of the idiots who rip the Marlins for not drafting Heyward, too, even though he had legitimate signing issues with anyone but the Braves.
September 17, 201115 yr I'm sorry I broke the cardinal rule never disagree with Erick, as always you know know far more than anyone else, please forgive my ignorance. Of course Stanton wasn't a first round pick(many doubted he would sign, so more like blind luck on that selection) and neither was Johnson(if he could only stay healthy). Why should anyone give a rat's ass what round the amazing player was drafted? That year 2000 NFL draft really sucked for the Patriots - they got nothing in the 1st round! Seriously. And LOL @ blind luck with Stanton. I'm sure you're one of the idiots who rip the Marlins for not drafting Heyward, too, even though he had legitimate signing issues with anyone but the Braves. Its certainly within the Marlins M. O. to draft a player they can't sign (i.e. hope they can, but won't mind saving $ if they can't) or draft a player that is so sure to sign that other teams would draft much lower so they don't have to spend money, Stanton was one of those players. Look at this years draft with theMarlins failure to sign their 3rd and 4th round selections. Also you don't have to quote yourself you can go back and hit edit.
September 17, 201115 yr He didn't quote himself. The puppy can cause confusion. Everyone should put a colored bandanna on their puppy like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
September 17, 201115 yr He didn't quote himself. The puppy can cause confusion. Everyone should put a colored bandanna on their puppy like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Oooooooooh, I get purple for Donatello!
September 17, 201115 yr I wonder how many saying this season WASN'T that bad are still watching the games. Ya gotta wonder how many places outside of South Florida would say that instead of "...still going to the games."
September 17, 201115 yr '98 was the worst, though this one isn't far behind. Even though we were expected to be the worst team by far the front office did even more to pour salt on the wound by trading away even more as the season progressed. It sucks starting from day 1 knowing you're going to lose 100 games and watching the front office do even more to assure it. This season, at least we got a few entertaining months at the start and we actually had a bit of a run post-June to get back around .500 before crashing again. There's been a lot of but a few highs as well this year, '98 was nothing but rock bottom from start to finish. You are really touching on why '98 was worse. Continue on with how H.(ellwith) Wayne Heizenga continually flipped this fan base the bird and with how John Henry came in a little later promising us he would pay for a new ball park if it couldn't get past the voters. The how he said he couldn't afford it, just before he bailed and paid $600+ mil for the BoSox. Should I even mention that was the start of the media hate towards this franchise??? This season is nothing compared to what '98 was and then lead into. Anyone that was old enough to be eating solid foods back then will tell you this is a mere bump in the road compared to that fiasco.
September 17, 201115 yr '98 was just plain heart-wrenching. this season was more frustrating. 2007 was a shame though, to have had that lineup with Hanley, Miguel, and Hermida's one productive season and zero pitching really sucked.
September 17, 201115 yr I had forgotten just how awful that 2007 starting rotation was. You would almost have to expect to lose every game by sending those starters out.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.