Justin Verlander wins the AL MVP

Don't approve of a pitcher winning it, but Verlander was the Most Valuable Player.

Wait what?

I see they Fu@$ed Cabrera again

He probably wasn't in the top 3.

I'd have given it to either Verlander or Bautista (I was torn about that). Ellsbury was probably the third best, with Miggie behind him.

Don't approve of a pitcher winning it, but Verlander was the Most Valuable Player.

Wait what?

I'd have given it to either Verlander or Bautista (I was torn about that). Ellsbury was probably the third best, with Miggie behind him.

It was, if I remember:

Verlander

Bautista

Ellsbury

Granderson

Cabrera

Wait what?

It was, if I remember:

Verlander

Bautista

Ellsbury

Granderson

Cabrera

Ellsbury finished second, but I'm talking about reality, not the warped world some of these voters live in. (Who gives Ellsbury and Bautista 9th and 10th place votes? What sick individual gives first place to Michael Young?)

Strong words from a guy who only played half the game for most of his career.

Ridiculously strong point.

Also, it's worth mentioning Joey Bats, for instance, had 655 Plate Appearances and 252 defensive Chances. Verlander had 969 Batters Faced and 50 defensive Chances. So Joey, in theory, affected about 907 plays and Verlander affected 1019 plays.

Ignorant f***.

We're having this debate on another forum as well. A pitcher sees more batters than a batter has plate appearances in 36 starts. A pitcher represents 1/5 in his rotation, a batter represents 1/9.

It's perfectly justifiable that a pitcher can win this award.

Besides, there's the Hank Aaron Award for a f***ing reason. MVP is supposed to be for exactly what it says - the most valuable player to his team, and also to the league.

Ignorant f***.

We're having this debate on another forum as well. A pitcher sees more batters than a batter has plate appearances in 36 starts. A pitcher represents 1/5 in his rotation, a batter represents 1/9.

It's perfectly justifiable that a pitcher can win this award.

Besides, there's the Hank Aaron Award for a f***ing reason. MVP is supposed to be for exactly what it says - the most valuable player to his team, and also to the league.

The pitcher doesn't go 9 innings, though. If a team plays about 1,470 innings (9 X 162 = 1,458), then a starter who goes 200-220 innings gets a roughly 1/7 fraction there. Not saying that makes him more important or less important than the hitter, just that 1/5 isn't correct.

I know, Frank Thomas' reaction made me LOL before passing out.

The one writer who left Verlander off the ballot completely, Jim Ingraham, wrote a piece explaining his reasoning:

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2011/11/21/sports/nh4772249.txt?viewmode=fullstory

The point that struck me in his backing of his belief that pitchers should not be eligible for the MVP was that a starting pitcher has zero effect on 79 percent of games (128). That's a valid point, though I'm still torn on this issue.