Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Parking at the new Ballpark

Featured Replies

This parking thing has a huge upside:

 

Now, many neighbors of the stadium, which was built on the site of the Orange Bowl, say they are so frustrated that they plan to move out.

 

Among them is Juana Pérez, who has lived in the same rental house for the past 12 years. “I’m disgusted with the city, with the Marlins, with everybody,� said Pérez, who said she would be moving out on Sunday.

 

Isn't that amazing? She's been inert in her little victimized milieu for 12 years, yet suddenly, when a Herald "reporter" talks to her, she's going to move out just two days from now because she's disgusted!

 

:lol

 

Forgive me for not believing a single word of it.

 

I wish she was serious. Society has quite enough whiners without her lame contribution. Reminds me of Old Timer's poor buddy, a recipient of untold tens of thousands of dollars per year of taxpayer money in the form of food stamps, Medicaid, rent subsidies and who knows what else.

What exactly did I say that was wrong to piss you off? Really? $40,000 should be nothing to them at this point, and it's not even $40,000 up front, it's $20,000 now and $20,000 later for yearly repairs. I don't see what the reason is for why they don't want to spend that relatively very small amount for extra parking. Any of the players on the 25-man would even be able to pay for it if they wanted to and still be able to make enough money to say, "eh, no big deal."

 

It's just weird that the FO wouldn't pay that [like I said] relatively very small amount for extra parking spaces.

so, I'm heading down for the game on Sunday. I'm completely unfamiliar with the area and didn't get a parking pass cuz I'm a dummy.

give me some tips on where the hell I should go?

 

edit: just saw that ParkWhiz site. site's legit? I'd pay the $24 if I have to, but is there anywhere free? like, could I just park on the curb in that neighborhood?

Like I said: "Loria agreed to very specific details to build a stadium, he didn't agree that everyone could park on his lawn."

 

You apparently ignored that and consider my comments to be a personal attack. They're not. Maybe I should have added "or pay for everyone to park on his lawn." Get it? It's not his responsibility. The city government clowns are the people running around yakking about a problem, fanned by morons at the Herald.

 

Loria is correct not to allow extortion. If he sees a benefit to some proposal, he'll probably do it. So far, he hasn't. Meanwhile, if you think it's such a great idea, like I said, you write the check. Barring that, wait for the Marlins to say or do something.

It is what it is, sir.  The church should consult a lawyer, or else they might be in deep bleep; they could even lose their 501©(3) status as a church.

 

 

Not likely.

 

I'm not a lawyer but I can tell you that any lawyer with a license and any non-profit practice experience would be highly amused by that statement.

 

There's exactly no chance that they would lose their 501-c-3 (I'm substituting dashes for parens, the board software turns it all into a copyright notice) over some parking-lot sales. Or even a whole lot of parking lot sales.

 

The IRS states it clearly:

 

An organization will be operated exclusively for exempt purposes only if it engages primarily in activities that accomplish the exempt purposes specified in section 501-c-3.

 

http://www.irs.gov/c...=123299,00.html

 

That's some pretty good government-regulation-speak, eh?

 

In any case, if their primary thing is being a church, then parking space sales are purely secondary and ancillary to their purpose, no matter how many tens or hundreds or thousands of them they sell. They could raise 99% of their revenue by selling parking spaces for Marlins games on their property, and as long as their primary activity was being and acting as a church, they would have no problem at all with the feds.

 

Put simply, from a 501-c-3 standpoint, how you raise revenue isn't necessarily related to and may well have nothing to do with what you spend it on, nor does it necessarily have any tax consequence.

 

Unless many people are prepared to testify that this apparently long-standing church's primary purpose is to sell parking spots and not to minister to its congregants, they have absolutely nothing to worry about, and even then, it would be doubtful that their 501-c-3 would be revoked.

 

Granted, 501-c-3 status is widely abused and barely enforced. But, any legitimate church like this one can sell parking spots on their property to raise funds until the cows come home without worry.

 

I'm quite aware it's very unlikely; I was just stating the extreme there.  Here's what I originally said:"It may not actually be such a great idea for the church. There are restrictions on the kinds of activities a non-profit organization/charity can undertake as those activities become less-related to the organization's charitable purpose -- being a church -- and more explicitly to simply derive profits; if the law were otherwise, profit-seeking enterprises could essentially smuggle funds by connecting themselves with a non-profit organization."And there are certainly consequences with the Feds.  It would have to be extreme for them to lose their status, yes.  But, any profits earned from the parking spots may qualify as Unrelated Business Income, which is taxable at a normal rate.  A nonprofit can maybe minimize the impact of Unrelated Business Income Tax using some fuzzy numbers, but they still have a real chance of being stuck paying the standard tax rate on any income earned thereby, along with the possibility, however small, for increased IRS scrutiny.

Loria is correct not to allow extortion. If he sees a benefit to some proposal, he'll probably do it. So far, he hasn't. Meanwhile, if you think it's such a great idea, like I said, you write the check. Barring that, wait for the Marlins to say or do something.

 

How would there not be a benefit? More fans could show up with places to park, and within a few games that parking lot will pay for itself and then some. People would be less inclined to go, I would imagine, if there's less places to safely park without threat of a ticket. Plus, I don't really have $20,000 lying around, so I can't exactly "write a check" like you're suggesting.

 

Plus,

Oh, hell, while you're at it, why not just totally remake all of humanity in your beneficent image?

 

This, somewhat, was a personal attack. I said nothing that provoked this comment to be said.

I'm about to start throwing out personal attacks if I don't get the lowdown on where the hell I should park

I'm about to start throwing out personal attacks if I don't get the lowdown on where the hell I should park

 

Theres no parking for poptarts.

Your best bet is near the civic center (approx NW 12 Ave & 12 St). This is "over the river" about 3/4 miles from the ballpark.

 

Exit I-95 onto 836 West. Exit at 12 Ave. Head north and start hunting for a lot. Free is unlikely - I'm guessing at least $10 in that area for NYY 4/1. There are some spaces under 836 in the area that service the civic center and courthouse during the week.

 

Or, if your up for an adventure, go south on 12th Ave and into the "neighborhood". Many homes will be selling spaces in their yards, but getting blocked in (or your paint job nicked up) is likely and prices won't be cheap. OTOH, it's a blue collar neighborhood, and should be pretty safe considering the expected foot traffic.

 

Good luck!

I'm quite aware it's very unlikely; I was just stating the extreme there.

 

Yeah, I know what you were driving at, but you scared the hell out of the peanut gallery and I just had to restore their faith that they weren't going to cause this church to crash and burn by parking in one of their spots.

 

It's sort of interesting. Some church in a poor neighborhood, just doing what they usually do, performing their mission and minding their own business and, then, BOOM, a half-billion dollar baseball park gets plopped down a few blocks away. And then they get to sell a few parking spaces they never expected to exist.

 

Manna from Heaven, so to speak. I think it's great and I'm an agnostic.

 

I've read line-item entries on many 990s that would curl your hair. This church, no matter how many spaces they sell will never be part of that crowd or the subject of any serious scrutiny.

 

You were quite right to point out that 501-c-3s can imperil their status, there's no doubt about it. I was just throwing a little balance out there.

I'm about to start throwing out personal attacks if I don't get the lowdown on where the hell I should park

 

 

something about not being lazy and looking for it yourself.

How would there not be a benefit?

 

Of course there would be some supposed "benefit," even if in the long-run it turns out that there isn't actually any, it's pure politics.

 

The local yokel politicians have stirred up the hornet's nest of local "victims" via rags like the Herald and expect to extort Loria for a few bucks he never agreed to. More Marlin-bashing, if you will.

 

Loria ain't gonna do it if it doesn't make sense for the Marlins, which is why I say wait and see what he does, if anything. Loria, at this point is an old hand at ignoring the posturing of local Marlins-baiters.

 

Other than that, you seem to be a nice guy, but you need to get a better handle on what a personal attack actually is. I wasn't attacking you, I was attacking your idea that Loria (or anyone else) should just write the check.

I said it was somewhat a personal attack. And I still don't see how it wouldn't make sense for the Marlins, I'm trying to look at it from multiple angles and I'm not seeing where it wouldn't make sense. More spaces to park, perfect sense. Especially if they want fans to show up and support this winning team.

 

And, again ...

why not just totally remake all of humanity in your beneficent image?

Somewhat

 

Beneficent's definition includes "performing acts of kindness or charity." This has nothing to do with charity or kindness, more just sense [from a fan's perspective]. Loria wants this team to do well for years? He'll have to make sure people keep coming. This is his team, not mine - if he wants to lose money from people not showing up due to people not having places to park, that's on him. It's a small addition which could be very beneficial to the team that doesn't cost that much [again, relatively], and he's refusing to do it, which just does not make sense.

I'm quite aware it's very unlikely; I was just stating the extreme there.

 

Yeah, I know what you were driving at, but you scared the hell out of the peanut gallery and I just had to restore their faith that they weren't going to cause this church to crash and burn by parking in one of their spots.

 

It's sort of interesting. Some church in a poor neighborhood, just doing what they usually do, performing their mission and minding their own business and, then, BOOM, a half-billion dollar baseball park gets plopped down a few blocks away. And then they get to sell a few parking spaces they never expected to exist.

 

Manna from Heaven, so to speak. I think it's great and I'm an agnostic.

 

I've read line-item entries on many 990s that would curl your hair. This church, no matter how many spaces they sell will never be part of that crowd or the subject of any serious scrutiny.

 

You were quite right to point out that 501-c-3s can imperil their status, there's no doubt about it. I was just throwing a little balance out there.

Fair enough; my word choice was not the best in this forum. And you occasionally lose sight of real-world realities in school, i.e. the limits of gov't oversight; transaction costs, etc.

I'm about to start throwing out personal attacks if I don't get the lowdown on where the hell I should park

 

 

something about not being lazy and looking for it yourself.

I almost posted exactly this lol

I'm about to start throwing out personal attacks if I don't get the lowdown on where the hell I should park

 

 

Just park in the garage. If they ask you for a pass, just be like:

 

 

 

Works every time.

The $40,000 doesn't include the purchase of the land, I imagine, right? Can't be. I don't know how much more land is available near the stadium.

It is what it is, sir. The church should consult a lawyer, or else they might be in deep bleep; they could even lose their 501©(3) status as a church.

 

 

Not likely.

 

I'm not a lawyer but I can tell you that any lawyer with a license and any non-profit practice experience would be highly amused by that statement.

 

There's exactly no chance that they would lose their 501-c-3 (I'm substituting dashes for parens, the board software turns it all into a copyright notice) over some parking-lot sales. Or even a whole lot of parking lot sales.

 

The IRS states it clearly:

 

An organization will be operated exclusively for exempt purposes only if it engages primarily in activities that accomplish the exempt purposes specified in section 501-c-3.

 

http://www.irs.gov/c...=123299,00.html

 

That's some pretty good government-regulation-speak, eh?

 

In any case, if their primary thing is being a church, then parking space sales are purely secondary and ancillary to their purpose, no matter how many tens or hundreds or thousands of them they sell. They could raise 99% of their revenue by selling parking spaces for Marlins games on their property, and as long as their primary activity was being and acting as a church, they would have no problem at all with the feds.

 

Put simply, from a 501-c-3 standpoint, how you raise revenue isn't necessarily related to and may well have nothing to do with what you spend it on, nor does it necessarily have any tax consequence.

 

Unless many people are prepared to testify that this apparently long-standing church's primary purpose is to sell parking spots and not to minister to its congregants, they have absolutely nothing to worry about, and even then, it would be doubtful that their 501-c-3 would be revoked.

 

Granted, 501-c-3 status is widely abused and barely enforced. But, any legitimate church like this one can sell parking spots on their property to raise funds until the cows come home without worry.

 

Thanks for the clarification. I'm sure the priest cleared it with the archdiocese prior to signing the contract with the parking company. I for one can't wait to park in my own parish :)

What is this 40,000 we are talking about? I'm rather lost. And I feel lost in the ghetto, so I'm not safe either.

What is this 40,000 we are talking about? I'm rather lost. And I feel lost in the ghetto, so I'm not safe either.

 

The price of the area is $20,000 to make it into a parking area and then $20,000 more for annual repairs [so $20,000 each year, basically] - the $40,000 is the $20 to make it and the $20 for this year's repairs.

Eh, what's 20K? 40K? Over 5 years, 120K?

 

Just have Loria write the check, right? Bash those Marlins, it's what the media does.

 

This is some politician's idea of how to solve a small part of the problem for a bunch of people who are no more entitled to park on a street near the stadium than you or I or anyone else. Screw them. If they don't like, they can move elsewhere. People do it every day.

 

And, since when does it cost 20K/yr in "repairs" to run a 20K hunk of parking ground?

 

Done by the private sector, maybe 1 guy at $10/hr for 5 hours/game * 81 games to monitor permits and call the towing company on the squatters.

 

That's 4K/year. What's to repair? Dirt?

 

Anyone still wonder why Loria hasn't bitten on this wonderful "deal?"

If they don't like, they can move elsewhere. People do it every day.

 

Didn't you do your condescending thing recently towards a person who said they were going to do this exact thing as a result of the stadium?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.