Cousins among five cuts

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Scott Cousins optioned to Triple A

Luke Montz, Terry Tiffee, Gil Velazquez and Kyle Jensen reassigned to minor league camp.

Source: Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald

No big surprises, I would think if Lomo and Giancarlo aren't ready to start the season that would give Rowand and Kearns a little better shot at making the opening day roster, at least until those two are fully recovered.

It's starting to look like Coghlan will make the club as the 4th OFer, now the question is #5. Rowand seems to be the guy on the outside looking in, I'm assuming the final spot is between Peterson and Kearns. The only problem with taking Peterson is having a bunch of lefties on the bench- that would make 3 with Coghs, Petey, and Dobbs. That could give Kearns his advantage.

How is it starting to look like Coghlan will be the 4th outfielder? I would be amazed if it wasn't Petersen.

I'm surprised more people aren't in favor of a Le Visage de Gaffe/Petersen platoon in center. Considering a seemingly likely regression for Boner and the fact that he's much better as a right-handed hitter.

he's got a good BA this spring and I feel like the Marlins feel like they owe him a roster spot with him being RotY a few years back

Not that 26 spring PA mean anything, anything at all, but he's got a .588 OPS without an extra base hit.

The Marlins don't "owe" him anything. Baseball is a competitive endeavor. I like Coghlan, but he was exceptionally lucky to convert so many hits in the second half of his rookie year. I don't think he's as far removed from his career line as some believe, but he still has no position and doesn't deserve a slot ahead of Petersen.

And if I recall, the Marlins were quite upset with him for calling injury as soon as he was demoted last year. Presumably to preserve Super 2 status.

Coghlan might be on the Opening Day roster because Morrison and Stanton might not even play. So, in that case, yes, Coghlan will probably be on the Opening Day roster.

At this point, I don't see how the two backup OF'ers aren't Kearns and Petersen.

Kearns is apparently hitting the ball very well in ST and we need a righty pinch-hitter.

Idk what Petersen's doing nor do I care because the bottom line is that Petersen>>>Coghlan defensively and he did just fine with the bat last year. Off the bench, I'd like Petersen's defense on the team. We have an inexperienced CF'er and Morrison is attrocious in LF. Petersen could see plenty of playing time as a defensive replacement if Ozzie uses his brain. Morrison sucks out there and shouldn't be in the game once his AB's are done and we have a lead in the late innings.

@joecapMARLINS: Asked about lefty hitting bench options, #Marlins mgr Ozzie Guillen said Chris Coghlan is hitting the best out of the bunch."

Looks like I'm not crazy after all...

He didn't say anything about Coghlan being poised to be the 4th outfielder, which is what you said.

And yes, he's really tearing it up with that .526 OPS and 0 extra base hits. In Spring.

Coghlan might be on the Opening Day roster because Morrison and Stanton might not even play. So, in that case, yes, Coghlan will probably be on the Opening Day roster.

At this point, I don't see how the two backup OF'ers aren't Kearns and Petersen.

Kearns is apparently hitting the ball very well in ST and we need a righty pinch-hitter.

Idk what Petersen's doing nor do I care because the bottom line is that Petersen>>>Coghlan defensively and he did just fine with the bat last year. Off the bench, I'd like Petersen's defense on the team. We have an inexperienced CF'er and Morrison is attrocious in LF. Petersen could see plenty of playing time as a defensive replacement if Ozzie uses his brain. Morrison sucks out there and shouldn't be in the game once his AB's are done and we have a lead in the late innings.

Which is fine. If one of Morrison/Stanton aren't ready for Opening day, then its probably a toss up between Coghlan and Kearns for a roster spot. With the latter being more likely since this team is fond of using Spring as a barometer, and because he gives us a right-handed bat, like you say. Really doesn't matter that much.

But the original assertion made was that Coghlan was the 4th outfielder right now, which is kind of asinine. Not whether or not he would make the opening day roster, which will probably be contingent on the health of Morrison/Stanton.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.