Homeruns in Marlins Park

I was at the game last night (great game!) and noticed that some balls were hit very hard but could not clear the fence on the left side. From what I remember, both Marlins HRs in preseason at the Park were in right and right center. Obviously, it can be done on the left side (JD from Houston hit one out) but I saw Stanton, Ramirez, Infante, and Gaby ALL hit shots that just died at or near the left/left-center fence. Luckily Gaby's hit the fence for the walk-off. For those of you that saw it on TV, were those really shots or just pop ups and we were just being hopeful?

Also, at this rate, we aren't going to see much of that home run celebration monument in action... only second game, i know.

I was at the game last night (great game!) and noticed that some balls were hit very hard but could not clear the fence on the left side. From what I remember, both Marlins HRs in preseason at the Park were in right and right center. Obviously, it can be done on the left side (JD from Houston hit one out) but I saw Stanton, Ramirez, Infante, and Gaby ALL hit shots that just died at or near the left/left-center fence. Luckily Gaby's hit the fence for the walk-off. For those of you that saw it on TV, were those really shots or just pop ups and we were just being hopeful?

Also, at this rate, we aren't going to see much of that home run celebration monument in action... only second game, i know.

Beyond all that was said, I think it's necessary to realize that the park was built too big. That being said I think a few of Infante's shots just looked good and weren't actually hit that well. I'm hoping during a long road trip or sometime in the offseason they move the walls in, I think it would benefit the game greatly at the new Marlins Park.

I like having a pitchers park, I hate fields like philly's fan box. But man those were some shots last night that were gone in joe Robbie . The one that JD Martinez hit looked like it was way outta there and bairly made it over fence. The only problem I see is the power allys they can't be 392 and 386 that's just not fair. From what I can tell there will never be a cheap HR in our park.

From what I've seen, Marlins Park appears like the next Petco. It's not just that the balls aren't getting hit out, once can tell just looking at the park that it's dimensions are going to swallow most potential home run shots. I don't want a bandbox or a hitter's park, but as a baseball fan it's part of the game that if pitchers fail to execute pitches they are going to be punished by good hitters with a ball in the seats. That simply doesn't seem like it will happen at this park, and it's taking away part of the game.

From what I've seen, Marlins Park appears like the next Petco. It's not just that the balls aren't getting hit out, once can tell just looking at the park that it's dimensions are going to swallow most potential home run shots. I don't want a bandbox or a hitter's park, but as a baseball fan it's part of the game that if pitchers fail to execute pitches they are going to be punished by good hitters with a ball in the seats. That simply doesn't seem like it will happen at this park, and it's taking away part of the game.

Which is why having the speed that we have is going to be huge in this ballpark.

They have been preaching for years on pitching, speed, and defense. They built a team on that concept. They built a park to be a pitchers park to take advantage of the team they were building. Now some want to change the concept in mid stream? Heck not even mid stream. They have barely gotten a toe wet.

The players and coaches are still learning this new place. They don't have a real advantage yet on other teams coming in. Wait til they learn all the nuances of playing here before we decide what needs to be changed. If anything needs to be changed.

I was there and was disappointed they didn't open the roof last night

I think the rain threat was gone by 7pm

Saturday we were hoping they would close the darn thing. Windy and a bit chilly. A little uncomfortable.

I read where there is some kind of MLB rule on closing/opening the roof. Don't remember the exact specifics, but something along the lines of x amount of time before first pitch it has to be decided, and it has to remain in that position for the entire game.

something along the lines of x amount of time before first pitch it has to be decided, and it has to remain in that position for the entire game.

Exactly right, that's the rule.

Which I think is silly, with the agreement of both clubs they should be able to open/close at the end of any inning.

May not be practical for other clubs, but it takes about 13 minutes to do it here.

i think having a park that is nigh impossible to hit HR's in might end up being a detriment to the team's fanbase. As they say, chicks dig the longball...well your casual MLB fan also tends to love the longball more than anything else and the fact that almost nobody has been able to clear any of the fences in what is really becoming a true (lime) Green Monster should tell the F.O. that some changes need to be made.

i think having a park that is nigh impossible to hit HR's in might end up being a detriment to the team's fanbase. As they say, chicks dig the longball...well your casual MLB fan also tends to love the longball more than anything else and the fact that almost nobody has been able to clear any of the fences in what is really becoming a true (lime) Green Monster should tell the F.O. that some changes need to be made.

Lets just say that 3 games in haven't been a fluke, and when all is said and done, homeruns totals throughout the season were wayyyyy below normal. Is it possible that the parks dimensions could be changed next season?

They have been preaching for years on pitching, speed, and defense. They built a team on that concept. They built a park to be a pitchers park to take advantage of the team they were building. Now some want to change the concept in mid stream? Heck not even mid stream. They have barely gotten a toe wet.

The players and coaches are still learning this new place. They don't have a real advantage yet on other teams coming in. Wait til they learn all the nuances of playing here before we decide what needs to be changed. If anything needs to be changed.

I agree with this.

However, if this is the way the park is going to play, I'd like some better defensive outfielders. This park is only going to make Logan Morrison look even worse than he's been. Bonifacio is inexperienced in CF and Stanton isn't 100% yet. Coghlan and Kearns are not good out there.