Attendance

I have long been of the opinion that the location, access, and parking issues (despite patchwork solutions), none of which will ever be fully remedied, will always disenfranchise spur-of-the-moment Broward, Palm Beach, and northern Dade fans, while southern Dade fans would never provide enough backfill.

They didn't do much to fill the place up when it was close to them.

For starters, it has never been close to us.

Closer. Jesus Christ, what a stupid thing to nitpick.

I have long been of the opinion that the location, access, and parking issues (despite patchwork solutions), none of which will ever be fully remedied, will always disenfranchise spur-of-the-moment Broward, Palm Beach, and northern Dade fans, while southern Dade fans would never provide enough backfill.

For a while there, the team didn't give us much of a reason to do so.

I got ya, your pissed the Marlins left Broward. I got cha.

Can't consider a message on its merits, make a claim against the messenger. I got cha. :)

I got cha, Your message is flawed and your pandering for an audience. I got cha.

Hey guys, stop with the pissing match. Everything is a pissing match with everything.

Pissing match.

Closer. Jesus Christ, what a stupid thing to nitpick.

But it's only 15 minutes!!! That wasn't a nit pick.

Very poor job to evade the point.

At the game tonight. Bought tix at the gate. They have to do a better job of moving the lines at the gates. We got here at game time. There were about 15 people in front of us in line, but it took an hour to get tickets and get in the stadium.

Umm...this seems to be your problem. If you go to any place right at the start of the event, you are going to have a line. Why not just buy tickets in advance? Or go to one of the many kiosks that sell tickets. They are much faster and usually have no lines.

I honestly don't get all the complaining about attendance. Our attendance has been good and we've had a number of games on school nights and at the same time of NBA/NHL playoff games for local teams. Besides, 30K+ is a HUGE jump for this team. You have to take into account where we came from...DEAD LAST in attendance in all of baseball. Our season ticket base was non-existent. It's hard for a market to go from 0 to sold out every game. Sure, Minnesota sold out every game of their new park a few years back, but that just doesn't happen in every market. Our attendance numbers are right in line with other park openings in "better/more traditional" baseball markets like Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Detroit, Houston, Washington, and Pittsburgh.

When the new place was being built and some of the Broward and PBC fans (not me,just was happy they were staying in South Florida) were complaining how much further the place was, those in South Dade kept saying how it is only about 15 minutes further. So where were they before the move? It was only about 15 minutes further.

Watch those attendance numbers drop next year when the season ticket holders from the "northern counties" drop that "double up" option, and others drop their packages all together. We didn't double up, yet we are considering going with some type of mini plan instead of the full season. Maybe not. Pretty easy right now to get tix at the gate.

People in South Dade never really complained about pure distance, more about actual location (there is nothing to do within 30 minutes of JRS) and the problem with the park itself (sucks driving 45 minutes to get rained on and drive back home without baseball).

Not to mention that Marlins Park has a much higher population near it than JRS did.

At the game tonight. Bought tix at the gate. They have to do a better job of moving the lines at the gates. We got here at game time. There were about 15 people in front of us in line, but it took an hour to get tickets and get in the stadium.

I got to Rogers Centre 10 minutes before game time once (a little over a year ago, come to mention it). I got in during the 3rd inning or 4th inning. I'd imagine this is true about a ton of ballparks.

Bonus note: I got to take this picture at the end of that game:

I'm going to fight each and every one of you.

You do get I was making fun of him, right? But I'm always up for a scrap. Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, ya eunuch jelly thou.

I was playing off what you said. I got the joke.

You do get I was making fun of him, right? But I'm always up for a scrap. Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, ya eunuch jelly thou.

It's ok, you do realize I don't take sh*t you say serious right?

It's ok, you do realize I don't take sh*t you say serious right?

O rly?

Oh just shut up mystikol, you strike me a frivolous person in real life.

What the f*** is wrong with you two? Seriously?

Outside of you obviously making light of Tom Morrisons death, and calling Logan Morrison a douchebag does it really take a high reading comprehension to understand this piece was written for Mothers Day?

You guys are really F'N Stupid.

No wonder every thread turns into a pissing match between Penguino, Benched and Mystykol

I got to Rogers Centre 10 minutes before game time once (a little over a year ago, come to mention it). I got in during the 3rd inning or 4th inning. I'd imagine this is true about a ton of ballparks.

You're probably right. My biggest complaint though was the inefficiency of the people at the ticket counter. There were nowhere near enough people in front of me in line to justify it taking that long. If there were more people then I would expect to wait.

I was playing off what you said. I got the joke.

Viddy well brother, viddy well.

Good grief. I clicked on this thread expecting to read about everyone raving about how badass the attendance has been.

My family left Miami when I was five years old, and I would give my left tit to live down there and be able to go to games, whether I lived in Miami, Miramar or even f**king Boca. I would find a way to get there and I wouldn't complain. Get the hell over it. Things are actually kind of going well (right now). I can actually hear the crowd roar on TV after a big play, and today's walk off grand slam crowd reaction made me proud.

People of South Florida -- you don't appreciate how LUCKY you are to live within driving distance of the Marlins. You seem like whiny bitches complaining about getting to go to Marlins games. F**k you.

PS I'm drunk.

Good grief. I clicked on this thread expecting to read about everyone raving about how badass the attendance has been.

My family left Miami when I was five years old, and I would give my left tit to live down there and be able to go to games, whether I lived in Miami, Miramar or even f**king Boca. I would find a way to get there and I wouldn't complain. Get the hell over it. Things are actually kind of going well (right now). I can actually hear the crowd roar on TV after a big play, and today's walk off grand slam crowd reaction made me proud.

People of South Florida -- you don't appreciate how LUCKY you are to live within driving distance of the Marlins. You seem like whiny bitches complaining about getting to go to Marlins games. F**k you.

PS I'm drunk.

If you want, I'll talk to my future roommate and you can live with us if he says yes. You can choose either the couch or my bed with me. He's taken.

For the Palm Beach County fans I keep hearing say 'now that they moved the stadium i'll never drive down there'... It was really easy. I got down there from downtown West Palm in 55 mins. It's right off i95. parking was really easy - - paid 10 bucks to park in a lot. The short walk was so cool looking at the stadium. it took like 65 mins to get to the fan pass machine from WPB. I'm sure it's different during rush hour. get a SunPass.

PS I'm drunk.

You brought up a good point. I was amazed on Friday at how loud it was in the ballpark. It is something that I never remembered from sunlife. It was loud throughout the game. It actually felt like the team has fans that care. I was very happy about that.

Just in case you were wondering the Marlins are 14th overall in MLB attendance figures. Marlins are averaging 30,502 fans per game which is just above 80% occupancy. In my opinion, numbers should improve if the Marlins play improves considering the new stadium. There should be no reason our attendance numbers should not be closer to 90% occupancy with a new stadium and a good product on the field.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

Just in case you were wondering the Marlins are 14th overall in MLB attendance figures. Marlins are averaging 30,502 fans per game which is just above 80% occupancy. In my opinion, numbers should improve if the Marlins play improves considering the new stadium. There should be no reason our attendance numbers should not be closer to 90% occupancy with a new stadium and a good product on the field.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

Yes it would be awesome to be at 90% but 80% is far greater than we had at SunLife. Now if we can get in wild card/top of division, I believe fair weather fans will bring that percentage up.

After going to the game yesterday I can imagine anyone that was not really a fan of the Marlins -- or even baseball in general -- would start to be just because of how awesome that place is. You really get that 'baseball park' feel that you never got at SunLife -- even with the roof closed.

Do you guys ever imagine any type of bars/restaurants being built around the park? I know it's all residential but would they allow someone to demolish some of those run down apts?