May 18, 201214 yr If he didn't want to talk about his struggles and perhaps is rather frustrated because he's going through a tough (both on and off the field), he shouldn't have gone on the radio show. Simple as that. In the words of one Rabbethan, "Bingo Bango." Or is it "Bango Bongo"? Or "Bingo Bongo"? Anyway.... /thread
May 18, 201214 yr How about a little recap, for us who missed it? Is there audio of the replay anywhere? Or, that. http://www.790theticket.com/lebatard.aspx scroll to the bottom
May 18, 201214 yr It didn't really sound that bad at all to me until LeBatard started to jaw back about being able to get paid nothing and do the same thing. It went downhill pretty fast after that.
May 18, 201214 yr Bell sounded terrible at the end, I had to shut it off cause I felt embarrassed for him. I liked when the one dude was like, "actually im wearing a ski mask right now" lol
May 19, 201214 yr The guy has taken the blame plenty enough in the past. And he seems to be coming out of his little slump. I just don't see the need for the name calling and personal insults. Any losses we have can be attributed to many things. How about our offensive rankings? They are pretty offensive. But so far this season Bell has become the guy that some fans want to blame for everything. Always a pitiful fan reaction to point fingers at one particular player. Pressure situation? I suppose bringing him in at an away game, up by one run, vs a team that is in 1st place in their division when his team can't seem to score any runs isn't a pressure situation. His answer? 1-2-3. Time to shower. Swinging strikes? Big whoop-di-doo. Just get the outs. And lately he has been. He keeps this up and I don't care if he gets one the rest of the season. Heck, I wouldn't mind it a bit if he went 1-2-3 on 3 pitches. But then of course some would. No swinging strikes included in that.
May 19, 201214 yr The guy has taken the blame plenty enough in the past. And he seems to be coming out of his little slump. I just don't see the need for the name calling and personal insults. Any losses we have can be attributed to many things. How about our offensive rankings? They are pretty offensive. But so far this season Bell has become the guy that some fans want to blame for everything. Always a pitiful fan reaction to point fingers at one particular player. Pressure situation? I suppose bringing him in at an away game, up by one run, vs a team that is in 1st place in their division when his team can't seem to score any runs isn't a pressure situation. His answer? 1-2-3. Time to shower. Swinging strikes? Big whoop-di-doo. Just get the outs. And lately he has been. He keeps this up and I don't care if he gets one the rest of the season. Heck, I wouldn't mind it a bit if he went 1-2-3 on 3 pitches. But then of course some would. No swinging strikes included in that. Too bad that's not going to happen. I think every fan would love to see 1-2-3 on 3 pitches. High-leverage relievers are supposed to have swing-and-miss stuff. The best ones usually do and that included Heath Bell once upon a time. Wouldn't expect you to be that open-minded though since you have the intelligence of a...Heath Bell, apparently.
May 19, 201214 yr The guy has taken the blame plenty enough in the past. And he seems to be coming out of his little slump. I just don't see the need for the name calling and personal insults. Any losses we have can be attributed to many things. How about our offensive rankings? They are pretty offensive. But so far this season Bell has become the guy that some fans want to blame for everything. Always a pitiful fan reaction to point fingers at one particular player. Pressure situation? I suppose bringing him in at an away game, up by one run, vs a team that is in 1st place in their division when his team can't seem to score any runs isn't a pressure situation. His answer? 1-2-3. Time to shower. Swinging strikes? Big whoop-di-doo. Just get the outs. And lately he has been. He keeps this up and I don't care if he gets one the rest of the season. Heck, I wouldn't mind it a bit if he went 1-2-3 on 3 pitches. But then of course some would. No swinging strikes included in that. Too bad that's not going to happen. I think every fan would love to see 1-2-3 on 3 pitches. High-leverage relievers are supposed to have swing-and-miss stuff. The best ones usually do and that included Heath Bell once upon a time. Wouldn't expect you to be that open-minded though since you have the intelligence of a...Heath Bell, apparently. Technically, he's the one being open minded.
May 19, 201214 yr The guy has taken the blame plenty enough in the past. And he seems to be coming out of his little slump. I just don't see the need for the name calling and personal insults. Any losses we have can be attributed to many things. How about our offensive rankings? They are pretty offensive. But so far this season Bell has become the guy that some fans want to blame for everything. Always a pitiful fan reaction to point fingers at one particular player. Pressure situation? I suppose bringing him in at an away game, up by one run, vs a team that is in 1st place in their division when his team can't seem to score any runs isn't a pressure situation. His answer? 1-2-3. Time to shower. Swinging strikes? Big whoop-di-doo. Just get the outs. And lately he has been. He keeps this up and I don't care if he gets one the rest of the season. Heck, I wouldn't mind it a bit if he went 1-2-3 on 3 pitches. But then of course some would. No swinging strikes included in that. Too bad that's not going to happen. I think every fan would love to see 1-2-3 on 3 pitches. High-leverage relievers are supposed to have swing-and-miss stuff. The best ones usually do and that included Heath Bell once upon a time. Wouldn't expect you to be that open-minded though since you have the intelligence of a...Heath Bell, apparently. Technically, he's the one being open minded. If you're pitching to contact so often, you're not going to dominate. You're prone to bad outings, which have already happened. He has a 4.7 swstr%. Check out how many closers have that (if any) and then check out how many have been successful doing that (zero). Going 1-2-3 on 3 pitches is a hypothetical situation that very rarely happens.
May 19, 201214 yr The guy has taken the blame plenty enough in the past. And he seems to be coming out of his little slump. I just don't see the need for the name calling and personal insults. Any losses we have can be attributed to many things. How about our offensive rankings? They are pretty offensive. But so far this season Bell has become the guy that some fans want to blame for everything. Always a pitiful fan reaction to point fingers at one particular player. Pressure situation? I suppose bringing him in at an away game, up by one run, vs a team that is in 1st place in their division when his team can't seem to score any runs isn't a pressure situation. His answer? 1-2-3. Time to shower. Swinging strikes? Big whoop-di-doo. Just get the outs. And lately he has been. He keeps this up and I don't care if he gets one the rest of the season. Heck, I wouldn't mind it a bit if he went 1-2-3 on 3 pitches. But then of course some would. No swinging strikes included in that. Too bad that's not going to happen. I think every fan would love to see 1-2-3 on 3 pitches. High-leverage relievers are supposed to have swing-and-miss stuff. The best ones usually do and that included Heath Bell once upon a time. Wouldn't expect you to be that open-minded though since you have the intelligence of a...Heath Bell, apparently. Technically, he's the one being open minded. If you're pitching to contact so often, you're not going to dominate. You're prone to bad outings, which have already happened. He has a 4.7 swstr%. Check out how many closers have that (if any) and then check out how many have been successful doing that (zero). Going 1-2-3 on 3 pitches is a hypothetical situation that very rarely happens. Again, he's the one being open minded. He's allowing for the possibility of Bell to succeed by pitching to contact. You are not. You should have picked a better way to take a jab at him. :$
May 19, 201214 yr The guy has taken the blame plenty enough in the past. And he seems to be coming out of his little slump. I just don't see the need for the name calling and personal insults. Any losses we have can be attributed to many things. How about our offensive rankings? They are pretty offensive. But so far this season Bell has become the guy that some fans want to blame for everything. Always a pitiful fan reaction to point fingers at one particular player. Pressure situation? I suppose bringing him in at an away game, up by one run, vs a team that is in 1st place in their division when his team can't seem to score any runs isn't a pressure situation. His answer? 1-2-3. Time to shower. Swinging strikes? Big whoop-di-doo. Just get the outs. And lately he has been. He keeps this up and I don't care if he gets one the rest of the season. Heck, I wouldn't mind it a bit if he went 1-2-3 on 3 pitches. But then of course some would. No swinging strikes included in that. Can't say I Disagree with anything you said really Bob
May 19, 201214 yr People have "blamed" the offense plenty. So it's ridiculous for him suggest otherwise. Once again, he is completely misrepresenting the board's tendencies here. Bell is being a huge sum of money to basically preserve wins in the 9th inning. It's pretty reasonable to be disgusted after that stretch of games he had in April. He was essentially brought in to thrive in high leverage situations. High leverage situations have a pretty direct correlation with the W-L outcome of the game. That's why people are upset.
May 19, 201214 yr He keeps this up and I don't care if he gets one the rest of the season. Heck, I wouldn't mind it a bit if he went 1-2-3 on 3 pitches. But then of course some would. No swinging strikes included in that. Once again you are clueless in understanding what other people are saying. Nobody complains when a reliever gets 3 ground ball outs on 3 pitches. However, there is something to be said for the reliever who is able to more consistently able to avoid contact. They will likely give up less hits in high leverage situations and allow less RISP to score. Being able to avoid contact is a major part of being a consistently good relief pitcher.
May 19, 201214 yr By the way, Bell has the third worst swinging strike rate in all of baseball relievers. In the NL, he's the worst. He also has the worst contact% in the NL. This stuff matters, although I expect him to improve.
May 20, 201214 yr The guy has taken the blame plenty enough in the past. And he seems to be coming out of his little slump. I just don't see the need for the name calling and personal insults. Any losses we have can be attributed to many things. How about our offensive rankings? They are pretty offensive. But so far this season Bell has become the guy that some fans want to blame for everything. Always a pitiful fan reaction to point fingers at one particular player. Pressure situation? I suppose bringing him in at an away game, up by one run, vs a team that is in 1st place in their division when his team can't seem to score any runs isn't a pressure situation. His answer? 1-2-3. Time to shower. Swinging strikes? Big whoop-di-doo. Just get the outs. And lately he has been. He keeps this up and I don't care if he gets one the rest of the season. Heck, I wouldn't mind it a bit if he went 1-2-3 on 3 pitches. But then of course some would. No swinging strikes included in that. Too bad that's not going to happen. I think every fan would love to see 1-2-3 on 3 pitches. High-leverage relievers are supposed to have swing-and-miss stuff. The best ones usually do and that included Heath Bell once upon a time. Wouldn't expect you to be that open-minded though since you have the intelligence of a...Heath Bell, apparently. Technically, he's the one being open minded. If you're pitching to contact so often, you're not going to dominate. You're prone to bad outings, which have already happened. He has a 4.7 swstr%. Check out how many closers have that (if any) and then check out how many have been successful doing that (zero). Going 1-2-3 on 3 pitches is a hypothetical situation that very rarely happens. Again, he's the one being open minded. He's allowing for the possibility of Bell to succeed by pitching to contact. You are not. You should have picked a better way to take a jab at him. :$ There's a difference between an open-mind and ignorance. He just bashed posters for believing in something statistical (which is what he does) and then he brought up a hypothetical scenario that is not likely based on known evidence. But yeah, let's just hope that Bell comes in and goes 1-2-3 on 3 line drives that just so happen to find gloves every night...
May 20, 201214 yr Lol at the idea of BroncoBob being open minded. That would be like a CD player that plays tapes. Oxymoron fo shizzle. We might as well all start dividing by zero at that point.
May 20, 201214 yr Swinging strikes? Big whoop-di-doo. Just get the outs. Heck, I wouldn't mind it a bit if he went 1-2-3 on 3 pitches. But then of course some would. No swinging strikes included in that. even if that were his thinking, he could have said that in the interview instead of being a 4 year old.
May 20, 201214 yr Nobody said professional baseball players were smart. A large majority of them are, uh, hmm, what shall we say? Less than geniuses? In spite of their tendency to loquaciousness, most of them would be well advised to keep their mouths shut most of the time. As in not going anywhere near anyone who might possibly conduct a "gotcha" interview. Just mouth the usual cliches, if you must. Omar Infante is a good example. He says almost nothing, even though he could while being very happy to let his bat and glove do virtually all of his talking for him. The rest of them following Omar's example would provide less fodder for ridicule, but it would be a real improvement.
May 23, 201214 yr If he didn't want to talk about his struggles and perhaps is rather frustrated because he's going through a tough (both on and off the field), he shouldn't have gone on the radio show. Simple as that. In the words of one Rabbethan, "Bingo Bango." Or is it "Bango Bongo"? Or "Bingo Bongo"? Anyway.... /thread Bingo Bango.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.