Bell on LeBartard

gizmo

Well I didn't catch the whole thing, but basically Lebatard and Stugotz were bringing up Bell's poor start and it got a little too touchy for Bell. He felt they were being sarcastic to him and then the issue of how much he was being paid came up.

I just did a sh*t job of recapping it, but that's the gist of it. It wasn't the most awkward interview in the world, but it was still pretty bad.

Someone else who heard it please chime in.

Is there audio of the replay anywhere?

There will be one later tonight.

It's basically Le Batard and Stugotz asking him about how bad he's been and Bell being extremely defensive. A lot of the listeners seem to think that they were being too harsh and mean but I think they were fair and Bell's reactions is what made the interview so awkward.

This seems strange, because everything I've seen in the print media (Herald, Sun-Sentinel) after Bell has blown one has him taking full responsibility, talk of letting his team down, etc. Maybe he feels like he's said it so often he doesn't want to have to explain himself and repeat himself again.

Guest Guest

Is there audio of the replay anywhere?

There will be one later tonight.

It's basically Le Batard and Stugotz asking him about how bad he's been and Bell being extremely defensive. A lot of the listeners seem to think that they were being too harsh and mean but I think they were fair and Bell's reactions is what made the interview so awkward.

Thanks for the recap.

well it started okay, a few questions about the struggles, have you been ever been booed before in a home park, is this strange for you, etc, etc. Heath says oh sure in visitor parks all the time (um yeah clearly not what they meant Heath).

It seemed to start to derail when Dan asked, (paraphrasing here) "Do you have any thoughts on this stat: you've thrown 55 fastballs for strikes this season, and gotten only 2 swing-&-misses". and he sort of said "pretty cool", and "well could you do it?" and "I guess that's 2 more than you could get", you've heard that sort of thing before in a bad interview.

and then he went on about hey why do we need to talk about the past why aren't we talking about the rest of the season and what I'm doing now, etc... and Stugotz explained well look we need to talk about right now and right now you haven't been very good, what did you expect us to ask you about here?

anyway eventually they gave up and wrapped it up since he clearly was in no mood to talk about himself.

Them: How about you personally?

Bell: I have been in a slump and I feel I am coming out of that slump and hope for better results.

Them: How do you feel about being sucky?

Bell: It sucks, I am really looking forward to the rest of the season so I can not suck

Them: What do you have to say about sucking in this particular manner?

Bell: That was terrible, I feel like I am coming out of a slump

Them: What do you have to say for this stat that demonstrates that you suck?

Bell: f*** you guys

There you go, you do not have to listen to the interview now

Guest Guest

Listening to it now. LeBartard seems a little excessive in the ball busting, but Bell comes off as a super douche. The "could you do it?" line (throw two swinging strikes) is probably one of the most idiotic defenses for poor performance that a professional athlete can give.

i'm not a fan of bell, but i really wish people would leave him the f*** alone.

no one sucks on purpose, and bell is a nice guy. we don't need to turn on our player because they're sucking since: it doesn't help him play any better, we're stuck with him anyway, and he DOESNT CHOOSE TO SUCK. no need to be like philly fans.

sure, you can say if you're getting paid $27 mil you need to have a tough skin, but some people are going overboard. booing him and saying "i hate bell," fine. but i remember one person saying they were cussing him out through twitter. come on guys.

no one sucks on purpose, and bell is a nice guy. we don't need to turn on our player because they're sucking since: it doesn't help him play any better, we're stuck with him anyway, and he DOESNT CHOOSE TO SUCK. no need to be like philly fans.

sure, you can say if you're getting paid $27 mil you need to have a tough skin, but some people are going overboard. booing him and saying "i hate bell," fine. but i remember one person saying they were cussing him out through twitter. come on guys.

Agree to a point. Heath Bell has always looked out of shape. But this year he just looks fat. So anyone that wants to hate on him I have no problem. Instead of always trying to be funny and different maybe he should get in better shape. In my eyes he got paid and let his body go to hell.

I'm not sure what he expects to be asked when he goes on a radio show and is sucking. It seemed like his only response was something along the lines of the whole thing not being fair because we're not talking about the season, just a month...blah, blah, blah.

The only thing that's happened is the recent past and thus the only thing that can be discussed is the recent past.

If he didn't want to talk about his struggles and perhaps is rather frustrated because he's going through a tough time (both on and off the field), he shouldn't have gone on the radio show. Simple as that.

Le Batard didn't really bash him or anything. The things he brought up were statistical facts worthy of discussion.

What's Le Batard supposed to ask him?

The only disrespectful thing to come out of the interview (at least initially, before Le Batard defended himself) was him joking around saying his 2 swing/misses were 2 more than Le Batard has. Then, after being sarcastic with his response, he (Bell) got offended because Le Batard and Stugotz started being sarcastic with their responses.

He's just not very bright.

This seems strange, because everything I've seen in the print media (Herald, Sun-Sentinel) after Bell has blown one has him taking full responsibility, talk of letting his team down, etc. Maybe he feels like he's said it so often he doesn't want to have to explain himself and repeat himself again.

A post outside the Outfield forum. Huzzah!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.