Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2012-2013 NFL Thread

Featured Replies

Upsets being arbitrary. More competitive teams should be able to beat better teams.

 

Take the NHL into the picture. Same structure as the NBA. Much more parity. 8th seeds make (and win) the Stanley Cup. If the same level of parity was in the NHL/NBA/NFL, the NFL has absolutely the least likelihood of a lesser team beating a better team.

The NHL is a much better example.

 

Still though, I feel like it's unnecessary for the NFL. If the new system was in place, for example, teams like the Jets, Bills, Chargers, Browns and Dolphins would have a legitimate chance to make the playoffs.

 

At least NHL 8th seeds finish their regular seasons with a winning record, for the most part; I feel like it's more justifiable.

Okay so you just said it yourself? The NFL has better parity. There's more competition. In the NBA, there isn't.

 

In the NBA, the talent is so concentrated that the better team is winning because of the drop-off in talent. They're winning because the other team is so much worse. That's why teams 5-8 don't win NBA titles. Not because the lesser teams can't win.

 

In the NFL, there's nothing that stops the #123 teams from making it to the Superbowl, despite having parity. Adding an extra playoff team wont do anything about that.

 

A bad team could beat a 1, 2, 3 seed any given Sunday and you'd have really mediocre teams going deep into the playoffs. This could happen in the NFL playoffs because it's one game.

 

Elite teams rarely get knocked out in the NBA playoffs because it's a 7-game series.

 

The probability of a mediocre team reaching the Super Bowl would certainly be way higher than a mediocre NBA team getting to the finals if the NFL decided to add more playoff teams.

 

There are upsets, as it is, in the NFL playoffs every year. NBA playoffs? Rarely ever.

 

The main reason is that there are like 200 possessions in an NBA game, and none are worth more than 4 points. So, that smooths out a ton of the variance.

 

Conversely, in football, a random turnover, a bad call, and a few other events can dramatically tip the scales, which creates a lot more variance. There are also a lot of "plays" in football, but it's the "big" plays that can really swing things which are present in football but not basketball.

Okay so we're on the same page. I was calling it unnecessary from the start. That's what I meant by "it wouldn't do anything". Meaning, those teams would be in the playoffs for nothing. Much like how in the NBA, the 5-8 teams should be gotten rid of.

 

edit: @ Erick

The NHL is a much better example.

 

Still though, I feel like it's unnecessary for the NFL. If the new system was in place, for example, teams like the Jets, Bills, Chargers, Browns and Dolphins would have a legitimate chance to make the playoffs.

 

At least NHL 8th seeds finish their regular seasons with a winning record, for the most part; I feel like it's more justifiable.

 

Only because of overtime, though. In a 15-team league, the 8th-place team figures to be right at .500 on average, yeah?

  • 2 weeks later...

Pro Bowl starters were announced today and as usual, it's a popularity contest. Landry over Reshad Jones and Maurkice Pouncey over Mike Pouncey is BS.

Coaches fired today: Smith, Reid, Turner, Crennel, Gailey, Shurmur.

Denver V. 49ers

 

Broncos win

Jags have now axed both GM and coach.

For the best. Especially the GM axe.

 

I'm more concerned with having a good draft.

Jags have now axed both GM and coach.

For the best. Especially the GM axe.

 

I'm more concerned with having a good draft.

oh sure no problem with either.

 

Totally the Jaguars luck that they have second overall pick when there's no top QBs available.

They should really trade down and gain additional picks. Being an FSU alum, I'd love to grab Werner. Personal bias though.

Jags have now axed both GM and coach.

 

For the best. Especially the GM axe.

 

I'm more concerned with having a good draft.oh sure no problem with either.

 

Totally the Jaguars luck that they have second overall pick when there's no top QBs available.

 

I would take Barkley. Still think he's a very good QB prospect.

They should really trade down and gain additional picks. Being an FSU alum, I'd love to grab Werner. Personal bias though.

I'm not sure they could get much by trading down this year, other teams aren't going to value the high pick much either. Oh and even as a UM alum I'd be happy to get Werner.

I think Alec Ogletree might be the best defensive player in this draft. Said the same thing about Kuechly last year and it's looking to be right...

 

Also, Colin Kaepernick is Mike Vick if Mike Vick actually had some football IQ.

I think Alec Ogletree might be the best defensive player in this draft. Said the same thing about Kuechly last year and it's looking to be right...

 

Also, Colin Kaepernick is Mike Vick if Mike Vick actually had some football IQ.

 

I don't agree regarding Kuechly or Ogletree. I think Casey Hayward was the best Defensive Rookie, and one of Teo/Star is the best in the class. I don't even think Ogeltree is top 5, to be honest.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.