January 23, 201313 yr If I missed any or any get added please feel free to update this list. I did a quick search out of my own boredom and curiosity so here it is... LHP Zach Phillips RHP Jordan Smith 3B Chris Valaika 3B Kevin Kouzmanoff RHP Doug Mathis SS Audy Ciriaco SS Chris Gutierrez RHP John Maine RHP Johnathan Albaladejo RHP Amaury Rivas 3B Ed Lucas IF Derek Dietrich OF Jordan Brown C Craig Tatum RHP Michael Wuertz OF Austin Kearns IF Nick Green RHP Kevin Slowey RHP Mitch Talbot IF Matt Downs Actually, I guess its not confirmed that they all get spring invites so maybe I titled this wrong. But these are the non-roster free agent signings to date.
January 27, 201313 yr 3B Kevin Kouzmanoff RHP John Maine RHP Johnathan Albaladejo OF Austin Kearns IF Nick Green RHP Kevin Slowey IF Matt Downs My gut is telling me all of the above will have been on the team by May, and 3 waived in May.
January 27, 201313 yr The official list from the team thru today, I'm sure they'll add a few more players and going to need to bring in some catchers, unless Redmond wants to help the pitchers get their reps John Maine-RHP Doug Mathis-LHP Zach Phillips-LHP Chad Qualls-RHP Kevin Slowey-RHP Mitch Talbot-RHP Michael Wuertz-RHP Craig Tatum-C Andy Ciriaco-IF Derek Dietrich-IF Matt Downs-IF Nick Green-IF Chris Gutierrez-IF Austin Kearns-OF
January 29, 201313 yr You can add Johnathan Albaladejo-RHP Michael Brady-RHP Adam Conley-LHP Grant Dayton-LHP Jose Fernandez-RHP Brian Flynn-LHP Andrew Heaney-LHP Raudel Lazo-LHP Jordan Smith-RHP Wilfredo Gimenez-C Jake Jefferies-C J.T. Realmuto-C Danny Black-IF Ed Lucas-IF Chris Valakia-IF Jordan Brown-OF Jake Marisnick-OF Christian Yelich-OF Excited to see Fernandez, Heaney and Yelich get a look this spring!! It also looks like they pulled their invites to Andy Ciriaco and Chris Gutierrez. Anyone surprised not see Skipworth get an invite?
January 29, 201313 yr What happened to the Rule V pick we got from the Rays? Edit: Nevermind, I just realized those guys are placed on the 40-man roster.
January 29, 201313 yr Author You can add Johnathan Albaladejo-RHP Michael Brady-RHP Adam Conley-LHP Grant Dayton-LHP Jose Fernandez-RHP Brian Flynn-LHP Andrew Heaney-LHP Raudel Lazo-LHP Jordan Smith-RHP Wilfredo Gimenez-C Jake Jefferies-C J.T. Realmuto-C Danny Black-IF Ed Lucas-IF Chris Valakia-IF Jordan Brown-OF Jake Marisnick-OF Christian Yelich-OF Excited to see Fernandez, Heaney and Yelich get a look this spring!! It also looks like they pulled their invites to Andy Ciriaco and Chris Gutierrez. Anyone surprised not see Skipworth get an invite? Skipworth is on the 40-man roster, thus doesn't even need an invite. I'd at least frisk him at the door though.
January 29, 201313 yr It is a shame that Musial died. He had a good chance to make Opening Day roster.
January 30, 201313 yr Kouz, Kearns, Downs have the best shots on that list. Wuertz could surprise but it'd be a long shot. I'd like to see Realmuto play like he did early last year but I doubt that happens. Will be cool to see where Fernandez and Yelich are at during ST.
January 30, 201313 yr Rule V Silverio should be interesting - I think the general feeling is that he wouldn't be 100% for a while, so DL him to start and go from there (also a convenient way to hide a Rule V guy if he's not on the 25-man). But sounds like he wants to win a roster spot right away, said he feels back to normal. Maybe he's further along than they thought.
January 30, 201313 yr Rule V Silverio should be interesting - I think the general feeling is that he wouldn't be 100% for a while, so DL him to start and go from there (also a convenient way to hide a Rule V guy if he's not on the 25-man). But sounds like he wants to win a roster spot right away, said he feels back to normal. Maybe he's further along than they thought. From what I understand, a rule 5 guy has to be active for 90 days during the season, so the DL only goes so far. They must feel he'll be good to go for at least half the season or they wouldn't have bothered taking him. If he's actually ready from day one, that would be fantastic. We can hope. I smell some interesting baseball this year.
January 30, 201313 yr Well I guess if you're not concerned about winning yet, then interesting sure. But right on Silverio, - and if he's not 100% then by all means DL him to start, but I imagine he'll get the chance in ST to show if he's ready. Really even if he's a 4th OF type I would love to see him get some at-bats early on. This season is really only about "ok what have we got here?" Are Brantly & Ruggiano close to what we saw last season? Can some of the young arms impress? Does Morrison have a future here? etc... Silverio's 2011 AA numbers are pretty nice. So with the possibility of Yelich coming up later in the season it could get crowded in the outfield soon with Marisnick and Ozuna maybe right on his heels. Would love to see what they have in Siverio before that happens. He's certainly worth more of a look than Gorkys/Petersen/Cogs at this point.
January 30, 201313 yr I smell the Astros having an interesting year, as well. so much untapped potential on that team!
January 31, 201313 yr Well I guess if you're not concerned about winning yet, then interesting sure. I'm not. Winning would be pure happenstance. A la 2003. I just think it'll be fun to watch all the young guys compete. Maybe no upside surprises, maybe a lot of them. Probably enough to make this team more fun to watch than last year's disaster.
January 31, 201313 yr Author Well I guess if you're not concerned about winning yet, then interesting sure. I'm not. Winning would be pure happenstance. A la 2003. I just think it'll be fun to watch all the young guys compete. Maybe no upside surprises, maybe a lot of them. Probably enough to make this team more fun to watch than last year's disaster. This. Plus, with us already going in with low expectations as far as record, it almost can't get any worse.
January 31, 201313 yr Well I guess if you're not concerned about winning yet, then interesting sure. I'm not. Winning would be pure happenstance. A la 2003. I just think it'll be fun to watch all the young guys compete. Maybe no upside surprises, maybe a lot of them. Probably enough to make this team more fun to watch than last year's disaster. This. Plus, with us already going in with low expectations as far as record, it almost can't get any worse. Agreed with both of you...
February 1, 201313 yr Author If we suck, well we can say we saw it coming so there ya go. 2012 was like crying over spilled milk. 2013 is gonna be more like, why cry over milk that you already knew was gonna spill?
February 1, 201313 yr The Marlins have called me to offer a non roster invitee spot. I accepted. I am now the opening day whatever I choose. Should I play third?
February 1, 201313 yr The Marlins have called me to offer a non roster invitee spot. I accepted. I am now the opening day whatever I choose. Should I play third? Right Field. I dare you.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.