AFL thread - Marlins updates

Hotcorner

Moran not a lot of hits early on but that patience is there - 9 walks in 44 PAs (only 4 Ks).

Heaney very solid through 3 starts (AFL starts are typically only 3-4 innings keep in mind)

Nick Wittgren is mowing everyone down out of the pen (5.1 IP, 11 K)

That's the impressive part about Moran that I'm excited for... This franchise hasn't had a player like that since Miguel.

Wittgren is showing he is the real deal as a closer

11 K in 5.1 innings and only 2 hits BTW not only does he have the ability to miss bats

he hands out BBs at a rate less than that of congress getting together and agreeing on anything

A soft tossing, breaking ball pitchers does not dominate in this manner hardly ever, I really think he and Cishek in the same Bullpen would shorten games to 7 innings because other teams' hitters would be tied in knots

IDK about his stuff but results wise Wittgren has me very excited for a Kimbrel type reliever. he just absolutely mows guys down.

Gosh Kimbrel and Wittgren could not be more different as pitchers

Kimbrel is a high heat type of reliever while Wittgren's fastball is clocked with an Hourglass they both have great curveball but besides that there is no other similarity well maybe both have great K ratio

IDK about his stuff but results wise Wittgren has me very excited for a Kimbrel type reliever. he just absolutely mows guys down.

Gosh Kimbrel and Wittgren could not be more different as pitchers

Kimbrel is a high heat type of reliever while Wittgren's fastball is clocked with an Hourglass they both have great curveball but besides that there is no other similarity well maybe both have great K ratio

I mean, Wittgren doesn't throw that slow... he's in the low 90's.

Andrew Heaney made the start last night for Glendale and pitched 4 shutout innings, allowing three hits, two walks and striking out 5

the game ended up in a tie after Edgar Olmos blew the save in his one innings of work allowing three hits and one run, while striking out two.

Brent Keys went 2-4 with a 2B (2), a run scored and a walk. He also added his second stolen base, while being caught for the third time.

Danny Black went 1-for-5

Colin Moran had a perfect night at the all-star game

2-2 1 BB

BTW Austin Hedges is going to be an amazing catcher in the majors with that arm of his

if he can just hit major league pitching, at least the Marlins have...Skipworth?+

Brett Nicholas hit 2 HRs at the all star game, he is a 25 y/o former C who has finally settled down as a 1st baseman in the Rangers organization. He might be someone the Marlins could be keeping an eye on because he likely will be Rule 5 eligible. He had 21 HRs and 92 RBIs in AA

Heaney exits after throwing 5 no hit innings today with 4 K's today

Wouldn't be surprising at all to see Heaney in the opening day starting rotation if he pitches well in spring training. You just know that if he gives the slightest indication of being ready to handle it, the Marlins would want to rush him up and pencil him into the rotation as the number 2 starter behind Jose, hoping to repeat in some small way the good fortune they had with Jose.

Brent Keys just keeps hitting. Talk about a frustrating prospect. That OPS is still under .800 despite hitting .319. It's almost a waste of a tool at this point.

You know, a lack of home run power at Marlins Park doesn't scare me if he can find gaps... He'll get the slugging up with a fair amount of extra base hits if/when he makes it to the show, HOPEFULLY.

Regarding Heaney, I'm excited and his year has been encouraging. I don't know if he'll make the team out of Spring, I really think that may depend on who gets traded (it's looking like Turner might be on the move). Even if one of our ML starters is dealt, it's still possible Koehler and Flynn make the rotation to start the year. He's really going to be in a Jose situation... He's going to have to force the issue with performance and probably catch a break with an injury as well.

1) Where have you heard Turner might be on the move?

2) Why would we trade Turner right now when his value is probably it's lowest?

http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/

Also, Turner's value probably isn't as bad as you must think. He's still REALLY young, and just posted an ERA well below 4. Somebody will think he's got a lot a value, particularly a franchise low on young arms... He's only expendable here because we have so much pitching.

His WHIP was 1.4 and his K/BB rate was a dazzling 1.43.

Gotta look at more than the ERA.

Agreed... But if you think there aren't 4-5 franchises out there lacking young arms that would love to have Jacob Turner I think you're very mistaken. There's not many opportunities for a franchise to get that kind of arm, at that age, with years of club control, that's MAJOR LEAGUE ready. There's a lot of time left for him to get better, and there will be teams willing to take the risk, I am pretty certain of that.