2013/14 offseason signings/trades

Hotcorner

Ever since the adrian Gonzalez trade I feel like the dodgers have an active roster of 50 players. All I seem to hear is who they've signed, traded for, etc. Just seems like everyone goes there now. I know they've obviously let people go too but I've got this mental image of a bunch of clowns squeezing into a tiny blue and white dodgers clown car.

Basically my mental image of the dodgers rotation is currently Beckett Nolasco ryu Lilly haren blanton greinke capuano. I know its not true but its what I currently imagine.

I'm very surprised Hughes decided to max out on years. If he had a big year, he could have really cashed out... That might tell me he isn't very confident.

He certainly wanted as much guaranteed money as he could get. It makes perfect sense after the performance he's had in recent seasons.

Plus he'll still be young enough to sign a big deal after this if he produces anyway.

A big deal, yea, but if he locked in for a year in a pitchers park and really did well... he would have gotten a huge contract for a very long time considering he would only be 28.

Hughes isn't a good pitcher, so he's desperate to take the guaranteed cash on the table. Teams can also easily see through using a pitcher's park to pad the numbers by looking at the splits.

Hughes just made 24 million dollars after posting a 4.85 ERA while averaging 137 IP per season the past 3 years. 1.1 total WAR - that's less than 0.4 WAR per season.

Dude is laughing all the way to the bank right now. Thinking he should take a one year contract is some Latrell Sprewell lack of self awareness shit.

Plus he'll still be young enough to sign a big deal after this if he produces anyway.

A big deal, yea, but if he locked in for a year in a pitchers park and really did well... he would have gotten a huge contract for a very long time considering he would only be 28.

But considering how bad his 2013 was... what if he had a bad 2014 and he thus throws away all the guaranteed money that the Twins have offered him? I think he did the smart thing for himself financially.