Fifth Starter Competition Starting to Heat Up.

I WISH Koehler would take the #4 and Flynn #5. But Turner will make the team.

I'd like to see Flynn to start off in AAA to get those control issues figured out. I wouldn't mind seeing Hand take the 5th spot as he might actually have the most upside of the 3. He had a real nice uptick in velocity last year, but again he walks too many. You know what you're going to get with Koehler which is okay as a 5th starter so give him the job I suppose.

Turner is the problem and I don't think he is going to last very long as a starter on this team.

I'd like to see Flynn to start off in AAA to get those control issues figured out. I wouldn't mind seeing Hand take the 5th spot as he might actually have the most upside of the 3. He had a real nice uptick in velocity last year, but again he walks too many. You know what you're going to get with Koehler which is okay as a 5th starter so give him the job I suppose.

Turner is the problem and I don't think he is going to last very long as a starter on this team.

Flynn has control issues? Maybe in September, but the organization has gone pretty far to defend his performance in that final month due to a dead arm. He didn't have any control issues during thr triple-A season. In fact, in his appearance today, he NEVER got into a three ball count. Flynn has nothing left to prove in the minors.

It's funny, I agree with you about Hand though. He really seems to be coming into his own under the radar. Our organization just seems to be absolutely bleeding good pitchers right now, almost all major league ready. It's almost overwhelming.

Flynn has control issues? Maybe in September, but the organization has gone pretty far to defend his performance in that final month due to a dead arm. He didn't have any control issues during thr triple-A season. In fact, in his appearance today, he NEVER got into a three ball count. Flynn has nothing left to prove in the minors.

It's funny, I agree with you about Hand though. He really seems to be coming into his own under the radar. Our organization just seems to be absolutely bleeding good pitchers right now, almost all major league ready. It's almost overwhelming.

Fair enough I suppose. First I've heard of the dead arm thing and yes I know he was fine in the minors with his BB rate. However, if you look at his last 3 milb starts he had 1 BB 20 IP so I'm not sure I'm buying that eithe considering he came out walking everyone from his first mlb game on. Also, if the fish knew this then why the hell was he even pitching?

I am sure the Marlins really want a Southpaw in the rotation if Hand continues pitching well he will get the nod as 5th starter

Flynn is still struggling with his control , if not he would be the front-runner in this race... Koehler has done nothing to lose the job if they have to the Marlins are OK with him being the 5th starter again

Fair enough I suppose. First I've heard of the dead arm thing and yes I know he was fine in the minors with his BB rate. However, if you look at his last 3 milb starts he had 1 BB 20 IP so I'm not sure I'm buying that either since he came out walking everyone since basically his first mlb game. Also, if the fish knew this then why the hell was he even pitching?

The only way to build up endurance is to keep him on the mound, I suppose. And he earned it. But he threw a real healthy amount last year that would suggest he should be able to continue that trend this season. I'd rather see him throwing 180-200 innings in the majors rather than New Orleans, especially considering the numbers he had there last year in a big time hitters league like the PCL, he could be really good in Miami. I am very excited to see what Flynn can do in the majors.

I think Hand has the highest upside of all the realistic candidates (Heaney not included, of course) with Flynn right on his tail. We already know who and what Koehler and Slowey are, which is solid but unspectacular mid-to-high-4 ERA guys. Heaney is of course the most exciting one, but while the whole rushing starters thing may have gone (ugh...pun incoming) swimmingly for the Marlins last year with Jose, it doesn't usually go that way. I hope Heaney starts in AA, lights things up down there, and then takes the fifth starter spot in August after we make a few depth trades around July 31.

Also of note is that Hand is out of options... I'd imagine that may play a significant part in him sticking around at least in a bullpen role.

I agree it could play a role, but there's nowhere in the pen for him. We already have two lefties that aren't going anywhere. The way he's pitching I would not be opposed to him earning a rotation spot, either. I just like Flynn better. But as I just mentioned, it's a great thing that we seem to be bleeding young starting pitchers that are major league ready...

Trading Turner requires a team that would be interested in trading for him. Keep in mind, if the Marlins don't want him, odds are we won't get anything great for him from anyone else. I would rather keep him around to see what he can do than get some organizational filler AAAA guy. No one is giving us a worthwhile prospect for just Jacob Turner.

Trading Turner requires a team that would be interested in trading for him. Keep in mind, if the Marlins don't want him, odds are we won't get anything great for him from anyone else. I would rather keep him around to see what he can do than get some organizational filler AAAA guy. No one is giving us a worthwhile prospect for just Jacob Turner.

Thats not true at all specifically because of the marlins pitching surplus. If we feel he will be nothing more than a number 4 and we can get a good position player and replace him with one of our other young pitchers that doesnt mean we don't want him, that just means we can get value for him and replace him with a worthy candidate.

I don't know what the market is for him, but I won't make assumptions either. He's still just 22 and coming off a pretty decent year. I'm sure there is a team that would want him for more than just filler, I'm sure they could sell someone on "we have too much depth, and he'll be great for you". He's got to be worth something.

Guest Vince0926

If red and crew say "ok we will give turner 2 more starts and go from here" on a decision I'm all for it. He hasn't impressed me so far.

I would absolutely take Slowey right now over Caminero. We need a true long reliever and spot starter, he did a great job last year, and he's earning it again right now...

Isn't Caminero out of options? If so, he should absolutely make the team. He should absolutely make the team, regardless. He pitched well last year, has pitched well in Spring Training and is a young arm with + stuff.

Both Slowey and Caminero can make it. I think I read that there are three bullpen spots for the taking.

Isn't Caminero out of options? If so, he should absolutely make the team. He should absolutely make the team, regardless. He pitched well last year, has pitched well in Spring Training and is a young arm with + stuff.

Both Slowey and Caminero can make it. I think I read that there are three bullpen spots for the taking.

Slowey and Caminero would serve two different purposes in the bullpen, so I agree that both should make the team.

Caminero would clear waivers.

Also, from my account, this is our bullpen:

Cishek

Dunn

Capps

Ramos

Jennings

Marmol

Caminero/Slowey

The only spot that seems to be open is between Caminero and Slowey, that's about it. And Slowey would be the only one in that bullpen really capable of being a 3+ innings type of arm, which would give him quite an advantage I would think. What do you think?

Turner still has a huge upside...I doubt the Marlins are giving up on him so easily, they are not just giving him away either