Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marlins Acquire Aaron Crow

Featured Replies

Not sure why this would have anything to do with Cishek. He is in the cheap and all star caliber. Although closer is the easiest position to fill. We should hold on for another season.

The Marlins have a great Bullpen and Cishek is the glue that keeps it together. I get the feeling that many would prefer a closer who throws gas at 110 mph

 

Consider this....Cishek problem is that he makes it look too easy.

 

As a Marlin since 2011 he has 10 blown saves in 101 save opportunities, He is at 91% save% add the 16 holds to his numbers and his effectiveness is even more eye-popping

 

Compare to Leo Jose Oviedo Nunez who had many more save opportunities in his 3 years as the Marlins closer had an 81% save rate

 

Prior to Nunez/Oviedo our closer was Kevin Gregg 2007-2008 with 62 saves with save% rate of 82%

 

2006 Joe Borowski was our closer with 36 saves His save rate was almost 84%

 

2005 Todd Jones had a great season with 40 saves However his save rate 88%

 

You have to go all the way back to 2004 season to Armando Benitez and his

 

47 saves and save rate of 92.2% to find a Marlin who has been more reliable as a closer

 

2003 Braden Looper....82% save rate

 

2002 Vladimir Nunez.....71% (Looper had 13 saves 81%)

 

2001 Antonio Alfonseca...82%

 

In 2000 Alfonseca had a incredible season

 

45 saves 91.8 save rate

 

1999 Antonio Alfonseca...84% (Matt Mantei had 10 saves 83%)

 

1998 Closer by committee Mantei 9 saves 75% / Alfonseca 8 saves 57%

 

1997 Robb Nen.......83% (My all time favorite Closer)

 

1996 Robb Nen.......83%

 

1995 Robb Nen......79%

 

1994 Robb Nen 15 saves 100% / Jeremy Hernandez 9 saves 75% / Bryan Harvey 6 saves 100%

 

1993 Bryan Harvey 45 saves 91.8% save rate

 

If I were Hills/Jennings it would take an awful lot to get me to trade Cishek

 

 

I get the feeling that many would prefer a closer who throws gas at 110 MPH

 

 

 

 

No. I honestly think that most people's problem with him stem from the almost 7 million that he is going to make in arb next year. That's completely impractical when the team budget is 65 million. I love the guy but it's a business decision in my opinion.

I remember saying this last year... All this talk about save rates and his salary make perfect sense but they're pretty irrelevant... What is relevant is that for a team attempting to make a serious run, this FO really values a lock down closer to preserve wins for what is still a young team. They said after the 2013 debacle that a young team can't afford the gutwrenching losses that come from a blown save. They said it had something to do with building confidence. Whether we agree with it or not, unless there's some mega deal that can't be refused I see no way they trade Cishek.

 

If they kept him going into a 2014 season where we came off a hundred losses and had no sure chance to even be at .500, they'll keep him going into a season where contention is possible. Again, unless a blow away offer comes up.

No. I honestly think that most people's problem with him stem from the almost 7 million that he is going to make in arb next year. That's completely impractical when the team budget is 65 million. I love the guy but it's a business decision in my opinion.

 

7 million for a quality closer is a bargain in any economy

 

 

I think we'd have to get a really, really awesome package deal for Cishek to send him off. I'm talking two or three prospects. I don't want him gone. Idc if he costs $7m+. Lock him up 3 more years. JUST DO IT!

 

gosh.

I think we'd have to get a really, really awesome package deal for Cishek to send him off. I'm talking two or three prospects. I don't want him gone. Idc if he costs $7m+. Lock him up 3 more years. JUST DO IT!

 

gosh.

 

 

They're going to trade him at the deadline IMO

 

 

To those of you who said that Brian Flynn would never amount to anything…

 

He did. He amounted to Aaron Crow :) and I guess he really did have some trade value.

 

Glad to hear Cishek stays. A strong bullpen can take you places. Still doesn't solve our problem at 1B, but hey!

Would be cool if Crow had a turnaround similar to Morris.

 

His velocity was down this year. 2011, 2012, and 2013, Crow's fastball had an average low [excluding Octobers and Marches] of 95.09 [August 2011]. In 2014, his average high was 93.75 [July]. His change-up velocity stayed the same. Could explain the jump in ERA, couldn't get hitters off their timing as well. Slider was a little slower, but that can be negligible - the extra movement from less velocity could help sometimes.

 

Something was off with him. His fastball and slider velocities were down. Was he a little injured? I can't say it was overuse, he averaged 58 innings per season from 2011 to 2013. K/9 was drastically reduced.

 

At least we were able to ... buy low? I guess?

 

 

Arm slot was slightly off, so was his mechanics. Check out his lower half, his drive to the plate was altered.

 

I suspect the marlins saw this too and saw potential for improvement.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.