Max Scherzer to Nats

Bret Hart

they're either going to get rid of someone. I'm not sure who, maybe even Strasubrg, but either way... their worst starter (Gio) is a guy who would be a #3 on most teams, and their #5 had a 2.85 ERA with a 1.09 WHIP last year in 198 innings.

this rotation is better than any of the 90s Braves.

Everyone always talks about "well later on they will regret this" or "wow too expensive, they won't be able to afford a good team in 4 years." So what? The way the NL east looks this is the perfect time to do this. They have a better chance to reach the postseason now than they will later down the line. Their lineup is good and their rotation is insane. It's a good move for them to go all in when their division is weak.

There are times when teams shouldn't worry about being bad later, so they can win now.

They can win now without Scherzer. I think this is absolutely the wrong time to do this. This isn't going to put them over any hump, because they'll most likely win the division anyway. When you get to the postseason, it's statistically a total crapshoot.

Everyone always talks about "well later on they will regret this" or "wow too expensive, they won't be able to afford a good team in 4 years." So what? The way the NL east looks this is the perfect time to do this. They have a better chance to reach the postseason now than they will later down the line. Their lineup is good and their rotation is insane. It's a good move for them to go all in when their division is weak.

There are times when teams shouldn't worry about being bad later, so they can win now.

They can win now without Scherzer. I think this is absolutely the wrong time to do this. This isn't going to put them over any hump, because they'll most likely win the division anyway. When you get to the postseason, it's statistically a total crapshoot.

Are you honestly saying that having Scherzer in their rotation does not increase their odds of moving past the first round of playoffs at all?

http://harvardsportsanalysis.org/2013/09/undeserving-champions-examining-variance-in-the-postseason/

And there are many more studies like that.

I'm not saying that Scherzer won't improve their chances, but the element of randomness in MLB playoffs makes it a bad investment at the level that that team is already at. If the goal is to win a World Series, I'd make sure that I had a steady stream of players that will push me into the playoffs year in and year out, instead of 'going for it' now and hamstringing myself for the future.

I'm aware of the randomness of the postseason.

Making sure there is a steady stream of players that will push you into the playoffs year in and out is what all teams want. It rarely happens (especially with a low payroll) because the postseason does not have a monopoly over randomness in baseball. So when a team is in a great position to win their division, they shouldn't stop improving because, hey, the playoffs are a crapshoot. They should increase their odds of winning as much as possible.

Every team wants a steady stream of players, but not every team accepts the randomness of the playoffs or even advanced stats as a whole.

And I never said a team shouldn't improve. However, keeping in mind that the best team doesn't always win a set of 5 or 7, teams that are at the top of a division should set their sights on maintaining their position rather than improving on it with costly additions that might hinder their abilities to maintain their position in the future. The Nationals would now do well to trade some of their soon-to-be FA pitching for controllable young talent for the future.

EDIT: Wow @ the breakdown of the contract. $15MM a year for 14 years. That's probably smart.

Honestly, if the Nats are smart about this ...

Keep Zimmermann and Strasburg for the year. Go for broke. They would have Doug Fister as a number 5. Doug Fister. He had a 2.41 ERA last season. Granted, I don't see him repeating THAT but a career ERA of 3.34 would be insane for a #5 guy.

With this rotation, keeping guys around, they can lose Zimmermann for a draft pick and be fine. Tanner Roark can take his spot after.

Scherzer, Strasburg, Zimmermann, Gio, Fister.

They could maybe win 100 sorta easily. Maybe.

I hate everything about the Nationals including there cock faced tv guys.

Natinals*

Keep Zimmermann and Strasburg for the year. Go for broke. They would have Doug Fister as a number 5. Doug Fister. He had a 2.41 ERA last season. Granted, I don't see him repeating THAT but a career ERA of 3.34 would be insane for a #5 guy.

With this rotation, keeping guys around, they can lose Zimmermann for a draft pick and be fine. Tanner Roark can take his spot after.

maybe? Washington won 96 games last year. there's no way they don't win 100 this year. NO. WAY.

I hate everything about the Nationals including there cock faced tv guys.

Natinals*

maybe? Washington won 96 games last year. there's no way they don't win 100 this year. NO. WAY.

I said maybe to the "sorta easily" part.