Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

If we could add one more SP, who would you add?

Who would you add? 78 members have voted

  1. 1. Who would you add?

    • Doug Fister 
      19%
      15
    • Cliff Lee 
      24%
      19
    • Yovani Gallardo 
      24%
      19
    • Aaron Harang 
      0%
      0
    • Tim Lincecum 
      30%
      24
    • Other 
      1%
      1

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

I think we're all a bit worried that this above post is what Loria is banking on and is why he hasn't added much outside of Chen... but it's also quite true. How many more games could we have won if Stanton alone wasn't out as long as he was?

 

With health, there is definitely talent on this team to be an outside contender.

 

I don't know if we had been a contender but if we're to add up the average WAR for our players that missed significant time particularly Stanton Fernandez and Alvarez last year and then factor in the games they missed we could have been around .500. I think the problem with what we believe to be Lorias reasoning is we would need everything to be perfect this year to contend. No major injuries to top players and no regression from anyone. Those are things that are very unlikely. 

 

 

  • Author

Minor SP update through Frisaro today...

 

Team still wants to add another starter for depth, they'd prefer a minor league deal for bounce back guys like Lohse, Simon, or Harang.

 

If healthy they'd do a major league deal with Lincecum or Lee but would try for a low base salary with incentives.

 

And they're still open to low risk/bounce back bullpen depth signings such as Neal Cotts, Franklin Morales, or Bobby Parnell.

 

 

Minor SP update through Frisaro today...

 

Team still wants to add another starter for depth, they'd prefer a minor league deal for bounce back guys like Lohse, Simon, or Harang.

 

If healthy they'd do a major league deal with Lincecum or Lee but would try for a low base salary with incentives.

 

And they're still open to low risk/bounce back bullpen depth signings such as Neal Cotts, Franklin Morales, or Bobby Parnell.

 

And Matt Thornton.

 

 

  • Author

Did Lincecum have his showcase or not? I hear different things, one saying it'll be this coming week. Is he having a second one this week? I'm surprised if he had his first one that it was so secretive as far as the media. What's the big secret? 

 

 

Did Lincecum have his showcase or not? I hear different things, one saying it'll be this coming week. Is he having a second one this week? I'm surprised if he had his first one that it was so secretive as far as the media. What's the big secret? 

 

He had one with a smaller group of teams (Marlins included) and is going to have another with a larger group (Marlins likely to attend this one as well).

 

 

Minor SP update through Frisaro today...

 

Team still wants to add another starter for depth, they'd prefer a minor league deal for bounce back guys like Lohse, Simon, or Harang.

 

If healthy they'd do a major league deal with Lincecum or Lee but would try for a low base salary with incentives.

 

And they're still open to low risk/bounce back bullpen depth signings such as Neal Cotts, Franklin Morales, or Bobby Parnell.

 

I'm just not sure that any of those rotation options are better than any of the guys the team already has. I think Jose, Chen, Koehler, Cosart, and Conley is fine. I find more upside in the last two than in lincecum or Harang. Simon could be an upgrade if he gets his shit together, but only on a minors deal. Don't get me wrong, I definitely feel the rotation needs upgrades I'm just not sure these guys do it.

 

 

He had one with a smaller group of teams (Marlins included) and is going to have another with a larger group (Marlins likely to attend this one as well).

 

So we are VIP?and do we like his first showcase?

 

 

I'm just not sure that any of those rotation options are better than any of the guys the team already has. I think Jose, Chen, Koehler, Cosart, and Conley is fine. I find more upside in the last two than in lincecum or Harang. Simon could be an upgrade if he gets his shit together, but only on a minors deal. Don't get me wrong, I definitely feel the rotation needs upgrades I'm just not sure these guys do it.

 

I think at least for the DEPTH.

 

 

What sort of stuff does Adam Conley have and what would be a realistic season for him? I didn't see much baseball down the stretch in September last year and noted that he went 4-1 with a reasonable ERA when I checked today.

 

 

  • Author

Does Cliff Lee still think he's too good for us? Days before spring training and I don't see a line of contenders begging for Cliff Lee's services. I keep thinking we're a better fit for him than he cares to admit.

 

 

Does Cliff Lee still think he's too good for us? Days before spring training and I don't see a line of contenders begging for Cliff Lee's services. I keep thinking we're a better fit for him than he cares to admit.

 

When would be Lee's showcase?

 

 

  • Author

According to Hill, Cosart could lose his rotation spot if any of the other candidates step up. He said Jose Chen and Koehler are locks and that Cosart has a spot but he has to perform to keep it. Frisaro made it sound like Cosart is competing with Jackson, Phelps, Nicolino and Conley for the final two spots.

 

The way I read that is that Phelps and Jackson are both essentially guaranteed roster spots so if the bullpen gets filled with other guys Cosart would be the one optioned down to allow both Phelps and Jackson in the rotation. Again though, if Cosart performs it's his spot first. 

 

 

MIAMI -- The Marlins continue to keep tabs on the free-agent market for an available starting pitcher, but the club isn't forcing the issue. If the candidate isn't willing to sign as a non-roster invitee with an invitation to Spring Training, chances are no deal will be struck.

 

"We're happy with what we have," president of baseball operations Michael Hill said. "If there is an opportunity to add one, at our price, then it will be something we'll look to do. But we don't have to do anything, and we are happy with where we are right now."

 

 

MIAMI -- The Marlins continue to keep tabs on the free-agent market for an available starting pitcher, but the club isn't forcing the issue. If the candidate isn't willing to sign as a non-roster invitee with an invitation to Spring Training, chances are no deal will be struck.

 

"We're happy with what we have," president of baseball operations Michael Hill said. "If there is an opportunity to add one, at our price, then it will be something we'll look to do. But we don't have to do anything, and we are happy with where we are right now."

This offseason is such a disaster. And Admin, hand is still on the team.

 

 

  • Author

I honestly don't think Hill is "happy with what we have". Like him or not there's still times he has to make positive PR statements like that one. I really think they're not exactly thrilled with the remaining pitching free agents and so a move hasn't been made.

 

 

According to Hill, Cosart could lose his rotation spot if any of the other candidates step up. He said Jose Chen and Koehler are locks and that Cosart has a spot but he has to perform to keep it. Frisaro made it sound like Cosart is competing with Jackson, Phelps, Nicolino and Conley for the final two spots.

 

The way I read that is that Phelps and Jackson are both essentially guaranteed roster spots so if the bullpen gets filled with other guys Cosart would be the one optioned down to allow both Phelps and Jackson in the rotation. Again though, if Cosart performs it's his spot first. 

 

I just hope that Conley really impresses this spring and wins a rotation spot.  It would be a waste to send him down to AAA again. 

 

 

I honestly don't think Hill is "happy with what we have". Like him or not there's still times he has to make positive PR statements like that one. I really think they're not exactly thrilled with the remaining pitching free agents and so a move hasn't been made.

 

Totally. The problem is they should have anticipated this market, to some extent at least, and moved faster to get someone like Happ, Fister, Rich Hill, etc., or moved assets to acquire another young 2/3 SP. No one better point out Ozuna for an Indians pitcher either, as that is absurd and would never happen.

 

Also, how about keeping Alvarez?

 

We can credit them for not signing one of these junk pitchers, but let's not forget they created this situation by not positioning themselves smarter. They needed two SP this offseason, they did amazing getting Chen, but Edwin Jackson isn't the answer.

 

I suspect they do nothing and reassess in June, hopefully Koehler/Cosart/Conley hold up to give them a fighting chance.

 

 

  • Author

Again its very possible Alvarez' arm is worse than we know and he wouldn't have helped to start the season anyways but yes, having him would have been nice for depth, and for almost any other team spending the money on him would have been a worthwhile gamble.

 

 

Again its very possible Alvarez' arm is worse than we know and he wouldn't have helped to start the season anyways but yes, having him would have been nice for depth, and for almost any other team spending the money on him would have been a worthwhile gamble.

 

The fact Billy Beane signed him says it all. The organization they want to operate like, signed him for more money than what he would have gotten in arbitration from the Marlins.

 

I think we all know how this is going to end.

 

 

The fact Billy Beane signed him says it all. The organization they want to operate like, signed him for more money than what he would have gotten in arbitration from the Marlins.

 

I think we all know how this is going to end.

 

I really can't wait to check the 2016 record of Alvarez after the season ended.

 

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.