Roster Moves

Barraclough and Ellington were awful in camp and didn't deserve jobs in the bullpen after how they performed.  But they didn't do anything to address the bullpen this offseason so here's to another year of inconsistent bullpens and guys who have no business being in the majors by the time we reach august

No way Hand makes this team.  Assuming we go with a 7 man pen, the pitchers would be Ramos, Morris, Dunn, Breslow, Jackson, and Phelps.  That leaves one more spot and I doubt they give it to another long reliever.  So who's left in camp to take that spot?  Perhaps it's Ogando or McGowan, but more likely it's someone not on this team yet. 

No they weren't that great that is true. But that's three power relievers we were relying on. Hopefully they perform well initially and get called up quickly and can stay up. 

I get Barraclough and Ellington...who was the 3rd?

I wish the command was a little bit sharper for both, because there was an opportunity for them to make the team.  Hopefully they have someone in mind that isn't on the roster yet because the other options currently on the team don't inspire much confidence.  

I get Barraclough and Ellington...who was the 3rd?

I wish the command was a little bit sharper for both, because there was an opportunity for them to make the team.  Hopefully they have someone in mind that isn't on the roster yet because the other options currently on the team don't inspire much confidence.  

Capps. I think Nefi Ogando will make it. 

Our bp is going to be so bad. 

Probably...But if Ege works out Hand/Edwin/Dunn (lefties only)Morris/Ege/Ramos isn't the worst thing in the world. I agree with the bearclaw/ellington moves. Those guys have no control whatsoever and Ellington does not have any good pitches either (unlike bearclaw). 

Don't understand why they sent Rienzo down though. What do you think @SongInTheAir

Marlins saw Barraclough and Ellington putting up decent numbers last year when nobody gave a fuck about the Marlins nor did much advance scouting on them and were like, oh we may have found something.

Then the magic dust wore off.  There is a reason why (in this case Barraclough) was acquired for so cheap.  Its not like the Marlin scouts are known for being particularly saavy or even good to find diamonds in the rough all the time.  

Its like they fucking do it once, and then think they can do it all the fucking time then.

Hilarious.

No way Hand makes this team.  Assuming we go with a 7 man pen, the pitchers would be Ramos, Morris, Dunn, Breslow, Jackson, and Phelps.  That leaves one more spot and I doubt they give it to another long reliever.  So who's left in camp to take that spot?  Perhaps it's Ogando or McGowan, but more likely it's someone not on this team yet. 

It should be Ege but who knows

If they didn't pitch well enough I understand barraclough and Ellington not making the team but in planning our bullpen they were part of the plan, so them being sent down does shake this up a bit. I hope they're close to acquiring someone reliable.

how do you figure they were part of the plan? You can't be successful in the major leagues with their control problems which continued all spring. It was a smart move by the FO. 

Hand isn't making this team, everyone can sleep better at night including [uSER=5712]@Vince0926[/uSER]. Unless Breslow and Ege all of a sudden go down due to injury in that order. Marlins want Breslow making the roster, and if tanks then Ege might be next in line. Looks like Marins are just trying to get a good showing of Hand and see if they can flip him to another team.

Ellington was awful this spring and Bearclaw was all over the place, but even then I still thought he had a chance to make the roster. 

Sending down Nicolino all but cements Conley getting that rotation spot. Although I don't see the point of having both Jackson and Phelps in the bullpen unless they are looking at him like a 7th inning guy.

Rienzo freaking blows. Did @SongInTheAir write an article on how bad that guy is? 

how do you figure they were part of the plan? You can't be successful in the major leagues with their control problems which continued all spring. It was a smart move by the FO. 

What was our projected bullpen at the start of spring training? Some combination of Ramos Capps Dunn Morris Barraclough Ellington Phelps Hand Breslow and Jackson if he didn't make the rotation.

Those were the guys "in the mix" for the bullpen and everyone else was on the outside looking in and hoping for a chance at making the team. Now with 3 of those guys gone and no clear upgrade in sight, there's even bigger question marks about who will be in our pen in two weeks. Of course their spring performances said they didn't deserve it but at the outset they were definitely "part of the plan" in our bullpen .

Nicolino being sent down doesn't guarantee Conley getting the rotation spot because Cosart is pitching great and Edwin Jackson is still breathing so Conley still has to get past them. I think he's got it but he's not there yet.

We have 2 spots open, and although Cosart wasn't a lock he was expected to get it with a good spring. Right now he hasn't done anything to change that. Far as I know there is 1 spot left. If you want to put that between Conley, Jackson, Phelps and Urena then that is fine. But it seems to me that Jackson is going to bullpen along with Phelps. Urena is crap on crap. So that leaves Conley.

We have 2 spots open, and although Cosart wasn't a lock he was expected to get it with a good spring. Right now he hasn't done anything to change that. Far as I know there is 1 spot left. If you want to put that between Conley, Jackson, Phelps and Urena then that is fine. But it seems to me that Jackson is going to bullpen along with Phelps. Urena is crap on crap. So that leaves Conley.

Agreed but sometimes you have to think the way the Marlins front office might do things. How can Adam Conley not get a rotation spot? It's quite simple actually... Phelps & Jackson are essentially the same type of player, with our sudden lack of bullpen depth the team could easily say they don't want 2 long relievers/spot starters in the bullpen and then also point to Jackson's history of being a starter to give him a rotation spot and they'll look past his spring troubles and say he has a history of success so we'll go with his experience. Then they'll say that despite Conley's amazing spring he's still inexperienced and could use a few more minor league starts. Then to fill in the bullpen they'll go with someone more suited for a middle relief role like Ogando or an outside piece they acquire.

I'm with ya man, Conley probably has this thing locked down but until Mattingly says he's in the rotation there's a chance he gets passed over in favor of Jackson's "veteran experience"

Agreed but sometimes you have to think the way the Marlins front office might do things. How can Adam Conley not get a rotation spot? It's quite simple actually... Phelps & Jackson are essentially the same type of player, with our sudden lack of bullpen depth the team could easily say they don't want 2 long relievers/spot starters in the bullpen and then also point to Jackson's history of being a starter to give him a rotation spot and they'll look past his spring troubles and say he has a history of success so we'll go with his experience. Then they'll say that despite Conley's amazing spring he's still inexperienced and could use a few more minor league starts. Then to fill in the bullpen they'll go with someone more suited for a middle relief role like Ogando or an outside piece they acquire.I'm with ya man, Conley probably has this thing locked down but until Mattingly says he's in the rotation there's a chance he gets passed over in favor of Jackson's "veteran experience"

Very unlikely. (it'll happen now)

Yet again we are gonna have bullpen issues because we refuse to add cheap veterans for only a few million like just about every other team does.  When you rely solely on your own young guys stepping up and refusing to add cheaper veterans you're gonna ruin yet another season because we are going to be incredibly inconsistent yet again.

There are dozens of guys available each year for a few million who would add much needed stability to our bullpen yet we continue to rely on Mike Dunn because no one will take his contract?!?  The fact that the tiny amount of money mike dunn makes relative to other guys in the sport is a reason he is undeservingly on the team for yet another year to not be able to throw strikes is pathetic.

The amount of money that is being considered in us going out and reconfiguring our bullpen is laughably low.  Mike Dunn is on the team yet again after yet another bad year because he is making 2.9 million is such minor league bullshit its insane.

Guest Vince0926

I keep reading talk talk talk and I won't believe anything until hand is sent down. This team sucks and mattingly should be regretting this.

This team has made so many mistakes year in and year out in regards to the bullpen its mind blowing that people can get paid handsomely to put this team together.  Between not realizing guys would be great relievers and forcing them to be 5th starters to not realizing guys have big trade value and trading them when their value is lowest it honestly hurts to watch how some teams can manage their assets so much better than ours. 

And the worst part is that managing bullpen arms and putting together a quality bullpen can be one of the easiest things in baseball nowadays. Its literally basic finance and managing assets and realizing depreciating assets.  It blows my mind.