Starling Marte suspended 80 games

Admin

Simple solution, you pop positive, you make league minimum for the next 5 years. 

Majority of the players don't care about winning, its all about the money. So hit them where it hurts the most.

While I appreciate your zeal, I'm not sure where you get that most players simply don't care about winning.  You want to win wherever you go but you also want to make the most money in the process.  It's essentially the same job regardless of which club you go to (hence why players tend to take the most, as do most people when offered the exact same job but with varied salaries) but that doesn't change the innate drive to win that most pro athletes have. 

Also, I don't ever see that penalty passing.

While I appreciate your zeal, I'm not sure where you get that most players simply don't care about winning.  You want to win wherever you go but you also want to make the most money in the process.  It's essentially the same job regardless of which club you go to (hence why players tend to take the most, as do most people when offered the exact same job but with varied salaries) but that doesn't change the innate drive to win that most pro athletes have. 

Also, I don't ever see that penalty passing.

Ok so if giving the league minimum for a certain amount of years is too "tough" than how about a postseason ban for that players.

So you pop positive for PED you now have a 5 year postseason ban, basically not playoff eligible, which is implemented if you get caught during the season just for that particular season.

Now how do GMs approach signing these guys once they are FAs? Do you risk all the money knowing they won't be there come playoff time, or do you pay them just to get you to the playoffs and then have to rely on someone else.

Two very simple solutions to the PED problem, hell I would like for it to be combined, 5 year league minimum and 5 year post season ban. Make the penalty harsh, not lifetime ban, but also not a slap on the wrist. All these guys getting caught are coming off huge extensions/signings, think the first thing they thought about when KNOWINGLY using PED was winning? Nah, all they saw was green.

I agree with both @Admin and @CoastieMike. When Melky Cabrera got cought with PED during the Giants 2012 Championship run, got suspended and was a free agent following the offseason got a juicy (no pun intended) contract with the Blue Jays and this was addressed on MLB network , how is was possible to get caught and get rewarded with a huge contract. Same thing happened with Peralta and so on.

I'm in favor if you get caught with PED your MLB service time clock should be reset back to rookie status ,just like when you first came to the majors. 

These guys knows if they get caught , they'll just serve the 80 days and everything goes back to normal.

First Positive test = Banned for life in MLB (my opinion and preference, can still play Minors or go overseas or coach HS)

To me testing positive for PEDS is worse "hurting the integrity of the game" than betting on baseball (Rose).

At the same time, like Charlie Francis said, the top 20 sprinters in the world (who Ben Johnson beat), were all on steroids as well.

First Positive test = Banned for life in MLB (my opinion and preference, can still play Minors or go overseas or coach HS)

To me testing positive for PEDS is worse "hurting the integrity of the game" than betting on baseball (Rose).

At the same time, like Charlie Francis said, the top 20 sprinters in the world (who Ben Johnson beat), were all on steroids as well.

I really don't see this happening even though many players have lobbied something similar. One thing that may happen is 1st offense will be a 162 game ban.

I think the most effective thing would be to penalize them heavily financially. Take away their earnings and you will see things changing.

I don't buy this whole lack of knowledge BS either. Marte knew what he took, it was a very common anabolic steroid. Just like Dee Gordon knew that he took it last year as well.

Its obvious that the current penalties arent working.

Its also true that many players want stiffer penalties.  They will stiffen the penalties sooner rather than later.  Whether you see them take away money (not likely) but a 162 game ban probably happens.  We can see if that will deter players then.

but a 162 game ban probably happens.  We can see if that will deter players then.

Don't think it will be sufficient. Take a guy like Dee, lets assume he used PEDs during his batting title season. It got him that extension, guaranteed money that he probably wouldn't have gotten if he didn't have that kind of season. Why does he care if he takes a year off after getting that? Still makes out like a bandit.

Don't think it will be sufficient. Take a guy like Dee, lets assume he used PEDs during his batting title season. It got him that extension, guaranteed money that he probably wouldn't have gotten if he didn't have that kind of season. Why does he care if he takes a year off after getting that? Still makes out like a bandit.

Ya but the players wont agree to taking away money like people want.  At least not yet.

Not tough enough for some, but its pretty tough

The problem again is that you can sign a big deal before it and negate that penalty completely. Let us say hypothetically Ozuna is signed to a 100 million contract after this year by Miami. Then in ST next year he gets busted for PEDs. That 100 million (minus one season) is still coming his way. It was well worth it for him to juice this year and earn that contract.

The problem again is that you can sign a big deal before it and negate that penalty completely. Let us say hypothetically Ozuna is signed to a 100 million contract after this year by Miami. Then in ST next year he gets busted for PEDs. That 100 million (minus one season) is still coming his way. It was well worth it for him to juice this year and earn that contract.

exactly my point. What I suggest if you get busted then that 100 Mil becomes null and Ozuna must start at zero MLB level again earning what a rookie earns.

exactly my point. What I suggest if you get busted then that 100 Mil becomes null and Ozuna must start at zero MLB level again earning what a rookie earns.

YES

As mentioned the MLBPA is an issue here but the players keep clamoring for stiffer penalties. The union would have a tough time defending themselves if they fight it.

Uh oh, your giving us inside on something???