How will you react to the firesale?

Erick

For what it's worth, how can they cut payroll to $55 million?

If you combine the salaries of Prado, Ziegler, Volquez, Tazawa, and Chen, they're making approximately 55 million next year.

Prado & Ziegler might have trade value if we retain the majority of their salary.

Volquez, Tazawa, and Chen have no trade value. 

This was alluded to earlier in the thread, someone called it "appalling" to even attempt a payroll with those immovable deals. Don't worry though, Exasperated will let you believe they can land a bunch of big time prospects for those guys.

I was going to possibly apologize for calling you an immature trollish moron. I now stand more firmly on my words than ever. 

For what it's worth, how can they cut payroll to $55 million?

If you combine the salaries of Prado, Ziegler, Volquez, Tazawa, and Chen, they're making approximately 55 million next year.

Prado & Ziegler might have trade value if we retain the majority of their salary.

Volquez, Tazawa, and Chen have no trade value. 

Brian Anderson gets attached to a high priced contract.....

Highly unlikely anyone touches Volquez or Chen even it means getting Yelich/Realmuto. 

We're definitely stuck with Chen. Easily one of the worst contracts in baseball.

If Mike Hill or whatever moron is GM calls you up says, hey look I'll trade you christian yelich for x,y and z.  then they say, well you have to take w contract.  The other GM will take out one of x,y and z, call up the owner, swallow hard and say fuck it, we are getting yelich for a good deal.  done.

If Mike Hill or whatever moron is GM calls you up says, hey look I'll trade you christian yelich for x,y and z.  then they say, well you have to take w contract.  The other GM will take out one of x,y and z, call up the owner, swallow hard and say fuck it, we are getting yelich for a good deal.  done.

We would still be on the hook for a good portion of Chen's salary. No one is going to take on that salary. 22.6 million in '19, 24.6 million in '20. Fuck this front office.

maybe not the entire salary would be taken, but if marlins ate say 1/2 of it?

Then yeah. But still, we're fucked. 

We end up trading a core player but get less because the other team takes on half of Chen's salary, while we still pay the other half of Chen's salary.

Sounds like a lose/lose situation. 

Ah good old Administrator Beinfest. 

Resding this thread is so depressing. Surely the new ownership is met with a difficult crossroads... worsen the financial woes in attempts to keep the petty fanbase afloat, or implode the team and worsen the financial future of this team by alienating fans for the 500th time. 

Surely...

WS firesale#1

WS firesale#2

Cabrera/Willis trade

Notorious $20 million payroll of nameless nobodies

attempts to move the team

sale of all of the backloaded new Miami Marlin contracts (this one was necessary for the stupid contracts that were signed, but still qualifies as alienating in that it was a clear duping of the fans)

death of Jose

______________ fill in the blank

if a strategic motion forward that isn't as simple as "blow the team up and sell Stanton" isn't placed forward, they might as well just move the damn team. 

Who cares

what we have right now has proven to be subpar in terms of performance, If Yeli, Gordon, Stanton Ozuna would have been on any other team, that team would have be in the playoffs by now. But as of yet we have not even had a winning season since freaking 2009. The Marlins cant be fixed, and are hopeless, we are a lemon team. Maybe in 10 years we will be better

I was thinking today that while the homer inside me would hate to see any of the stars here leave, it would be a trade of Yelich that would feel like a knife into the heart. The others have reasons that would make sense, painfully, but they would. Stanton is an increasing burden financially. Ozuna has no extension and wants to hit free agency and he's basically been rumored trade bait for at least two years so we all know eventually he's gone. Guys like Gordon and Prado are swell guys but we know they're getting older and pricey but not necessarily better.

But Yelich?

There's no real reason or urgency to trade him. His contract is a bargain, he's extended long term, he's still young, and he's potentially even getting better. Trading him would hurt the most because that would be the sign that there's no immediate hope to win. That would be the throwing in of the towel for me. 

Who knows though, maybe he's the one guy, the one star, the centerpiece that sticks around through the tough years to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Like Ryan Zimmerman. 

I was thinking today that while the homer inside me would hate to see any of the stars here leave, it would be a trade of Yelich that would feel like a knife into the heart. The others have reasons that would make sense, painfully, but they would. Stanton is an increasing burden financially. Ozuna has no extension and wants to hit free agency and he's basically been rumored trade bait for at least two years so we all know eventually he's gone. Guys like Gordon and Prado are swell guys but we know they're getting older and pricey but not necessarily better.

But Yelich?

There's no real reason or urgency to trade him. His contract is a bargain, he's extended long term, he's still young, and he's potentially even getting better. Trading him would hurt the most because that would be the sign that there's no immediate hope to win. That would be the throwing in of the towel for me. 

Who knows though, maybe he's the one guy, the one star, the centerpiece that sticks around through the tough years to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Like Ryan Zimmerman. 

Everyone calls Stanton an increasing burden but he is closing in on 60 home runs. $25-30 million per year is the new norm. If Stanton performs, the contract is not so crazy. Look at the contracts given to Pujols and Cabrera where they are making close to $30 million until age 41 or  42. Those are bad contracts. 

That should count for something -- Stanton's contract is through his prime. 

Looking at Ozuna, does anyone think maybe Ozuna could convince another team to take Chen, assuming we get a petty return? And if so, does anyone else see this as a good way to stop the bleeding while giving up "as alittle as possible?" Assuming we can dump someone like Prado without trying too hard. 

Everyone calls Stanton an increasing burden but he is closing in on 60 home runs. $25-30 million per year is the new norm. If Stanton performs, the contract is not so crazy. Look at the contracts given to Pujols and Cabrera where they are making close to $30 million until age 41 or  42. Those are bad contracts. 

Oh I absolutely agree with this and have been saying the same thing for a long time. He's pretty much a bargain right now. I only called him a financial burden on the thought of IF the plan is gonna be to slash payroll then down the line the amount of money that's gonna be attached to this one player is the burden for ownership. In no way did I mean to compare him to other high cost contracts from players that can't perform.