Jeter/Sherman target $90 mil payroll

SonOfJack

As someone above pointed out, Stanton already said he doesn't want to be part of a rebuild so you can be sure he'd demand a trade in that scenario.

I'd argue that keeping a core of Stanton/Yelich/Realmuto/Gordon isn't exactly a rebuild, but I get what you're saying. They suck and keeping Stanton and their target payroll are incompatible for success. So, even if not a rebuild, it's a losing team, which is what he really doesn't want.

That being said, Jeter will probably command zero respect in a trade market for Stanton. Might as well let the guy plan to walk and trade him mid-season when teams are trying to stack up for the playoffs.

And cross your fingers for a miracle. 

Given that 90 million is the goal, Stanton has to go, and a full rebuild is what we're gonna do.  This is doable and we can do a fairly quick rebuild if we invest in the draft and IFA afterwards.  Fans just need to respect that Mike Hill or whoever was in charge of the contracts previously given out ruined the long term longevity potential of this team and a full rebuild is in order.  You cant compete after the death of Jose.  If we were able to trade him for the Sale package, we wouldnt have to, but now were forced to.

Trading stanton for a package like Benintendi/Devers, Eduardo Rodriguez, and then a pitching prospect would be a great start.  Then you trade Ozuna either to Toronto or St Louis for either Toronto's top hitting prospects + a starter or St. Louis' top pitching prospects (whether its Reyes, Flaherty, or Weaver) and another hitting prospect. Then you just move down the line, Yelich being the last guy you move due to his long term contract and the relative cheapness of his contract, but if youre overwhelmed just go for it.  This rebuild is necessary, and if we do it well, can be done within 3 years and done to last for the next decade.  

Mike Hill is STILL running the baseball ops department though.

They won't get a good return if Boston is picking up the full 295 mil owed.

What makes you think that? If Stanton has a successful season next year, he could try and get an even bigger contract, could he no than?

I don't think Stanton can't draw a massive return. I just don't think he will, because no GM will respect the Marlins if they know just how much of a shithole they're in. And I'm sure nobody respects any of the Loria backloaded contracts either. 

We should just blow the whole thing up instead of trying to half ass the rebuild. Trade Stanton, Yelich, and Ozuna seperately to maximize the prospects coming back. Then trade say Bour and Prado together. This would kill bours value and we may need to still eat some of prados salary but getting him out is necessary. I think Gordon is tradeable by himself (maybe eat a little). At this point you can just keep tazawa and Ziegler and maybe trade them at the deadline if they improve. If not then they come off the books next year.

Idk maybe there's less drastic measures

Mike Hill is STILL running the baseball ops department though.

They won't get a good return if Boston is picking up the full 295 mil owed.

Mike Hill has no real power and they can still get a very good return if Boston picks up the majority of the contract.  They have a huge need for a power bat and a lot of young cost controlled players to where they can add a little money.

We should just blow the whole thing up instead of trying to half ass the rebuild. Trade Stanton, Yelich, and Ozuna seperately to maximize the prospects coming back. Then trade say Bour and Prado together. This would kill bours value and we may need to still eat some of prados salary but getting him out is necessary. I think Gordon is tradeable by himself (maybe eat a little). At this point you can just keep tazawa and Ziegler and maybe trade them at the deadline if they improve. If not then they come off the books next year.

Idk maybe there's less drastic measures

I'd trade JT before i trade Yelich.  I get where you're coming from but Yelich will still be young, really productive, and relatively cheap when we complete this rebuild in 3 years.  JT as a free agent in a few years is a guy i trade before him if we can get a huge package.  But i get what you are saying.  And we will be doing a thorough rebuild fairly soon here.

I'd trade everyone of value, and ride out the bad contracts. Leave those bad players on the roster and be terrible for a few years as the prospects develop both in the minors and majors. By the time the bad contracts are off the books, we'll be closer to competing again, and we'll probably have a few top 3 picks to bolster our system for the future.

A halfway rebuild is a bad idea. This needs to be done as completely as possible.

I personally am warming up to the idea of seeing a 2006-type team, minus the Cabrera and Willis. It'd be nice to watch a rebuild you weren't already fairly certain was going to fail, for a change. Much better than this core that we know will never make it.

I'd trade everyone of value, and ride out the bad contracts. Leave those bad players on the roster and be terrible for a few years as the prospects develop both in the minors and majors. By the time the bad contracts are off the books, we'll be closer to competing again, and we'll probably have a few top 3 picks to bolster our system for the future.

A halfway rebuild is a bad idea. This needs to be done as completely as possible.

I personally am warming up to the idea of seeing a 2006-type team, minus the Cabrera and Willis. It'd be nice to watch a rebuild you weren't already fairly certain was going to fail, for a change. Much better than this core that we know will never make it.

This is actually a good idea. Get as much value possible out of Stanton, Yelich, Ozuna, Bour, Gordon, Straily, and maybe even Realmuto without adding bad contracts and we'll be under our salary cap and actually have a future. All the bad contracts will be up within 2-3 years and by that time our prospects will ideally be ready to actually compete with some complimentary fa additions. 

Old people dont have 2-3 years to be waiting around for the team to be (possibly) competitive. Win now!

That's not the marlins fault or what their priority should be.  They cant worry about what the fans think, they need to tear it down and rebuild the way the Cubs, Astros, White Sox, Yankees etc did and build a sustainable, long term team.  

There is no way a rebuilding Marlins will be competitive in three years. Also. Every player shold be marketed. Even realmuto and yelich. The one player I think maybe gets to stay is Bour. There are many options at first base for other teams to chose from and he's been a little injury prone. And someone needs to hit a dinger every now and then to keep the coming years 10~15.000 in attendance hoping.