Mike Maddux

canada-marlin24

Don’t discount either.  They’re both important.  

I think a pitching coach is as unimportant as it gets and there is such a small difference in major league pitching coaches.  Look at Leo Mazzone the former Braves pitching coach.  He had this mythical reputation when he was the braves pitching coach and then he went to the Orioles and was fired after 2 years with another year still on his contract.   Im not saying any person can be a major league pitching coaches, but i just dont think there is much of a difference between the best and worst pitching coach in the majors.  It is almost exclusively due to the talent they are given.

I think a pitching coach is as unimportant as it gets and there is such a small difference in major league pitching coaches.  Look at Leo Mazzone the former Braves pitching coach.  He had this mythical reputation when he was the braves pitching coach and then he went to the Orioles and was fired after 2 years with another year still on his contract.   Im not saying any person can be a major league pitching coaches, but i just dont think there is much of a difference between the best and worst pitching coach in the majors.  It is almost exclusively due to the talent they are given.

I agree with you about Mazzone. But I don’t think they are insignificant. Agree to disagree. 

i'm also in the camp that the coaches don't usually make much difference.  There are a few exceptions - I'd totally argue for Perry Hill (who you just watch, Jeter will get rid of) being a defensive whiz in terms of coaching.  By and large though, it's 98% talent, with the rest being a mixture of luck, coaching, and not being associated with Mike Hill.

Like fish20 said it’s not a topic worth getting riled up about.  It doesn’t take a ton of time and money to get a person in who may add value.  Here’s the Rays pitchers discussing Hickeys departure.  The staff had spoken highly of him over the years 

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/rays-pitchers-react-to-the-departure-of-jim-hickey/2339756

Stanton didn’t seem to enjoy working with Bonds.  That probably had no effect on him at all because he’s a stud.  But it doesn’t hurt to have coaches that players enjoy working with