Part V: How Project Wolverine Can Work

SilverBullet

Funny how nobody rushed to post this one.

Nobody rushed to post Part IV either, tbh.

Basically the takeaway from that is that its already been stated on this blog these same ideas.  

It would literally take EVERY THING to go right and for the marlins to essentially hit on everyone from these trades and for their drafting abilities/player development to essentially improve overnight.

As long as Michael Hill is in charge, I remain skeptical.  

Nobody rushed to post Part IV either, tbh.

Basically the takeaway from that is that its already been stated on this blog these same ideas.  

It would literally take EVERY THING to go right and for the marlins to essentially hit on everyone from these trades and for their drafting abilities/player development to essentially improve overnight.

As long as Michael Hill is in charge, I remain skeptical.  

Who is debating they are going to improve overnight? The article even says 2020. You can remain skeptical (I am too), but it would be nice if the sky is falling narrative ceased. It's not as good as the rosey picture the Marlins want people to think that they have future 2/3s with a half dozen of their SP prospects, but it's also not as bad in thinking the entire farm is going to turn into a bullpen. I'm not sure how a 50% flame out rate equals they have to hit on everyone either. They are building in a margin of error. For instance:

Alcantara/Guzman

Rogers/Garret

Neidert/Peters

M. Gonzalez/Gallen

How about you let the season play out, see how the young guys do, we see what they get back when they inevitably trade the Castro/Straily/Bour/Barraclough/Dietrich/Conley/Prado/Ziegler/Tazawa/Rojas crowd (this is going to be another 10-15 guys coming in easy), see what they do in the draft, see if they sign international free agents for once, etc.

This time next year could look a lot different. And if everyone sucks, they can still blow out Yelich and Realmuto, get the top picks in the draft 2019/2020 drafts, and maybe that'll be the core everyone wants.

Who is debating they are going to improve overnight? The article even says 2020. You can remain skeptical (I am too), but it would be nice if the sky is falling narrative ceased. It's not as good as the rosey picture the Marlins want people to think that they have future 2/3s with a half dozen of their SP prospects, but it's also not as bad in thinking the entire farm is going to turn into a bullpen. I'm not sure how a 50% flame out rate equals they have to hit on everyone either. They are building in a margin of error. For instance:

Alcantara/Guzman

Rogers/Garret

Neidert/Peters

M. Gonzalez/Gallen

How about you let the season play out, see how the young guys do, we see what they get back when they inevitably trade the Castro/Straily/Bour/Barraclough/Dietrich/Conley/Prado/Ziegler/Tazawa/Rojas crowd (this is going to be another 10-15 guys coming in easy), see what they do in the draft, see if they sign international free agents for once, etc.

This time next year could look a lot different. And if everyone sucks, they can still blow out Yelich and Realmuto, get the top picks in the draft 2019/2020 drafts, and maybe that'll be the core everyone wants.

Do you even read what I said?

Essentially the Marlins will have to improve their player development/drafting abilities overnight.  They have flat out sucked in these departments.  If they dont fix those overnight, nothing else matters.

Michael Hill is still in charge.  So I'm skeptical at best at that being turned around.

Where did I say anything about competing overnight?  

apology accepted

Alcantara/Guzman

Rogers/Garret

Neidert/Peters

M. Gonzalez/Gallen

oh and :lol at thinking tazawa and rojas have any real trade value.  Tazawa has negative value.  Rojas I guess gets you some A ball depth filler that you 95% of the time wont ever hear from again?  Ok.  

we havent won a title since that happened, tbh.

OK, but I think Marlins fans would take (kill for?) 83-79 in a down year and 10-straight over .500.

And it's not like STL is the hugest market in the league. They've been there forever, of course, and they've got a dedicated fan base. But there's no reason - none - why a well-run franchise in South Florida couldn't do even part-way what they've been doing there. 

At least Barry mentioned the attendance boosting Latin music part of jeters plan.

And pandering to a culture like that is racist and potentially offensive to anyone not of the pandered culture ? So to gain some Latino fans you will risk losing Anglos/African-Americans ? Seems like a pretty stupid business plan.

And pandering to a culture like that is racist and potentially offensive to anyone not of the pandered culture ? So to gain some Latino fans you will risk losing Anglos/African-Americans ? Seems like a pretty stupid business plan.

I never understood this about Americans. Some fight so hard to let everyone know they're not racist, then they do condescending shit like assume certain groups are impressionable enough to do something for you because you gave them a slight nod. All this tells me is that Derek Jeter thinks Hispanics are dumb. Nobody needs anyone to make them feel welcomed or special like they're children; people just want to be respected.

I never understood this about Americans. Some fight so hard to let everyone know they're not racist, then they do condescending shit like assume certain groups are impressionable enough to do something for you because you gave them a slight nod. All this tells me is that Derek Jeter thinks Hispanics are dumb. Nobody needs anyone to make them feel welcomed - just respected.

Agree this is just a stupid idea if he goes through with it. And doesn't he realize that the younger generation of Hispanics all speak English fluently ? They don't care about shit like this, and they need to be the future of your fanbase. 

oh and :lol at thinking tazawa and rojas have any real trade value.  Tazawa has negative value.  Rojas I guess gets you some A ball depth filler that you 95% of the time wont ever hear from again?  Ok.  

I didn't say that (at all), but good job cherrypicking probably the most irrelevant part of the post and side skirting the bigger issues. The Marlins are going to move on from those guys. That's it.

BTW, Rojas has 2.6 WAR in 839 PA for his career. That's pretty solid. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Do you even read what I said?

Essentially the Marlins will have to improve their player development/drafting abilities overnight.  They have flat out sucked in these departments.  If they dont fix those overnight, nothing else matters.

Michael Hill is still in charge.  So I'm skeptical at best at that being turned around.

Where did I say anything about competing overnight?  

apology accepted

I unfortunately have been, where you have made little to no sense across most threads for a week and just been hysterical that they traded out the guys, they are awful, and there is no plan. I mean news flash. A rotation of Straily, Urena, Conley, D. Peters, and Nicolino/C.Smith/Chen's annual 5 starts isn't making the playoffs. There is nothing in the minors coming in a year. They couldn't just add $300 million in SP contracts to supplant this to get them where they need to be. 

You just need to seriously chill out and let things run their course. If all the guys they are acquiring stink, Hill will be fired and they will have someone new next year. Who knows if he is even the problem - he had Loria pulling the strings for years. We will never know the decision making dynamic.

It is fine to remain skeptical - I am - but how about just give them a season to see how things shake out without being kneejerk pissed? Loria left the team a wreck. There was always going to be a rebuild. Any owner coming in would have to rebuild this team as no one in their right mind would have invested enough money into this team to sign both of Darvish and Arrieta, and maybe even a lower tier innings eater guy too.

get over it

Agree this is just a stupid idea if he goes through with it. And doesn't he realize that the younger generation of Hispanics all speak English fluently ? They don't care about shit like this, and they need to be the future of your fanbase. 

I commented in the thread about "why so much hate to Jeter", that is was simply stupid and insulting to think fans will show up to see baseball and spend their money if you pipe in a certain type of music.  I think he got more of a pass than he should have thinking of the reaction if he had suggested other lures based on racial or ethnic lines to boost attendance.  New York is diversity, playing there his whole career makes one wonder why he would make such a ridiculous statement.  

You just need to seriously chill out and let things run their course. If all the guys they are acquiring stink, Hill will be fired and they will have someone new next year. Who knows if he is even the problem - he had Loria pulling the strings for years. We will never know the decision making dynamic.

It is fine to remain skeptical - I am - but how about just give them a season to see how things shake out without being kneejerk pissed? Loria left the team a wreck. There was always going to be a rebuild. Any owner coming in would have to rebuild this team as no one in their right mind would have invested enough money into this team to sign both of Darvish and Arrieta, and maybe even a lower tier innings eater guy too.

get over it

Typical Marlin fanboy here.

Give them the benefit of the doubt, things will work out, and heck if it doesnt, you can always start over again from scratch. It's not Hill's fault, well except when it is Hill's fault. Let's give him another chance though.  

While all can assume the plan of this new ownership group the thing is they have done a worse job than the prior ownership of stating what those plans are to the public. 

One can assume all they want, because well thats all we have to go by, because Sherman/Jeter havent exactly been out in front of things.  The big difference between this tear down and the ones yall keep harping on (Astros/Cubs), is that those other tear downs were 100% honest with their fans about things.  This group hasnt been honest and from all we can see, they actually assume attendance will rise with a worse product.  

Until this ownership group figures out they need to be honest with their customers and present their fucking plan, nothing is going to truly improve both in terms of interest in this club, trust in ownership of this club or profita..oh wait, scratch that one.  I literally have no fucking idea how they plan on getting a) naming rights and b) a mega tv deal with the plan of action they have taken.  As I said prior, Jeter has obviously never attended Business 101.  Rob Manfred fucked the Marlins by allowing this group to buy the team.  One New Yorker selling to another New Yorker.  Bud Selig would never have allowed this sale to happen with these two alone as the front men.  

You can talk until you are blue in the face about sins of the father.  The son so far is proving to be just as bad if not worse than the father.  

You literally cannot write a worse way to start your ownership in terms of fan endearment.