Severino Gonzalez up, Braxton Lee optioned down, Ellington DFA, Richards up Monday

SilverBullet

ala the artist formerly known as Braden Looper

What's he known as now? You got me curious now.  

Hey anyone hear Jeff Nelson on yesterday's pre game show criticizing the decision to DFA Ellington? We had glimpses of this last year but Jeff Nelson doesn't play "Mr Company Guy" if he doesn't want to. Right or wrong if he doesn't like a Marlins move he criticizes it and it's pretty damn refreshing to hear. It feels like all the other commentators work for the Marlins and Nelson doesn't. 

Hey anyone hear Jeff Nelson on yesterday's pre game show criticizing the decision to DFA Ellington? We had glimpses of this last year but Jeff Nelson doesn't play "Mr Company Guy" if he doesn't want to. Right or wrong if he doesn't like a Marlins move he criticizes it and it's pretty damn refreshing to hear. It feels like all the other commentators work for the Marlins and Nelson doesn't. 

What did he say?

What did he say?

Basically something like "I don't know how you can DFA a guy who throws almost 100 mph" or something like that, ignoring all the struggles Ellington has had.

Right or wrong he sounds like "your uncle complaining on the couch" instead of a guy who is trained to speak favorably about the team he's working for. He did this a few times last year as well. 

meh, people thought that about Eovaldi and his "super fast super straight" fastball too.

eovaldi had great peripheral numbers, and until he got hurt he was a solid major league player. Ellington never showed any excellent skill, except his 100 mph fastball. 

eovaldi had great peripheral numbers, and until he got hurt he was a solid major league player. Ellington never showed any excellent skill, except his 100 mph fastball. 

"great" is a stretch, he had solid peripherals, sure, but he never topped 7.06 K/9 in a season despite that 100+ mph heat

There is a lot to like, but I think we should send him to double A to work on the curve/slider

Might as well work at the big league level...he's good enough to probably not have his confidence shot, and the Marlins will be bad enough to where it won't matter if they lose most of his starts. It's a season of learning and development for everyone (except Donny Baseball, we already know he's clueless between first pitch and last out) so why not learn on the fly? Alcantara should be up once team control deadlines pass for the same reason. 

Might as well work at the big league level...he's good enough to probably not have his confidence shot, and the Marlins will be bad enough to where it won't matter if they lose most of his starts. It's a season of learning and development for everyone (except Donny Baseball, we already know he's clueless between first pitch and last out) so why not learn on the fly? Alcantara should be up once team control deadlines pass for the same reason. 

I just think it will be easier to figure out a pitch with a higher margin for error. I'm not worried about his confidence, I'm more concerned with his ability to throw a mediocre pitch against true major league players. Hanley took a hanging slider yard. He might be able to play with the pitch a littler more if he knows "if I miss it won't be 400 feet behind me". I'm just thinking it will be easier to develop against lesser competition.

Can Jeter get Samson to fire him too then?