Is Dietrich getting traded at the deadline?

DTrain

Now that I think about it, in my 26 seasons of attending Marlins games I've only gone to games "to see a specific player" for two people. Around 06 or 07 Roy Halladay pitched a no hitter against the Braves and his next game was against the Marlins and I purposely bought tickets for that game to see his next start... and a few times in 2015 and 2016 I specifically bought tickets when I saw they were gonna be Jose Fernandez games.

Besides that never once have I showed up for anything more specific than "I just wanna watch a Marlins game" so to someone like me the changing of players won't really ever change how many games I go to. Other factors might come up but I don't show up for anyone so I won't stop going for anyone either. 

To be honest who's even showing up to see Realmuto and Bour? Anyone who's already going to multiple games this season isn't gonna stop going if those two are gone. 

Yeah basically anyone who stuck around after this past offseason's trades, would almost surely keep going regardless of who they deal next month.

He has one position, maybe 2 positions. His outfield, and infield is a travesty. He is a streaky hitter. Honestly I'd rather move Bour, and see if half a year at first he can put together a 4 WAR season. He can focus on that hitting thing. And maybe he can hit 25.

I disagree.  He's been pretty solid at second and 3rd base throughout his career.  Also, you can say he is streaky but he really never had a full time gig until this year.  Deets would be a nice pickup for any contending team.  I'm all for moving if we can get a decent prospect back, if not keep him.  He has three years of control left.

Now that I think about it, in my 26 seasons of attending Marlins games I've only gone to games "to see a specific player" for two people. Around 06 or 07 Roy Halladay pitched a no hitter against the Braves and his next game was against the Marlins and I purposely bought tickets for that game to see his next start... and a few times in 2015 and 2016 I specifically bought tickets when I saw they were gonna be Jose Fernandez games.

Besides that never once have I showed up for anything more specific than "I just wanna watch a Marlins game" so to someone like me the changing of players won't really ever change how many games I go to. Other factors might come up but I don't show up for anyone so I won't stop going for anyone either. 

I remember showing up to a game for Dontrelle when he went up against Randy Johnson.

But yeah, for the most part, the reason we show up is to root for the team in general, not a specific player. 

Back to the topic at hand, if you had told me before the season started that Deitrich would be a valuable asset at the deadline I would have jumped for joy.  It’s an unthinkable turn of events if true.  Honestly I don’t believe it.  He’s certainly playing above his normal levels at the moment but I think most contending front offices would see through that.  Can’t see us getting real value for Derek Dietrich.   Reliable arms in the bullpen are a different story.  

Guys put yourself in another teams shoes. If the Marlins are really contending that n 2020 or whatever year, how angry would you be if they traded a valuable prospect for a Dietrich like player ?

Adrian Gonzalez for Ugueth Urbina. We won the World Series. I'll make that trade 1000 times out of 1000 (although I would have rather it been Jason Stokes)

Adrian Gonzalez for Ugueth Urbina. We won the World Series. I'll make that trade 1000 times out of 1000 (although I would have rather it been Jason Stokes)

That’s fine but Urbina was exponentially better at pitching than Dietrich is at anything in baseball.  Dietrich doesn’t make the 25 man roster for a contending team 

That’s fine but Urbina was exponentially better at pitching than Dietrich is at anything in baseball.  Dietrich doesn’t make the 25 man roster for a contending team 

I strongly disagree.  He's a lefty with pop and defensive versatility.  I think he van make any 25 man roster.  He's also cheap.

I strongly disagree.  He's a lefty with pop and defensive versatility.  I think he van make any 25 man roster.  He's also cheap.

While we are not on the same page on this I would love to be wrong and come July the Marlins get another good asset for AAA-AA.  

Guys put yourself in another teams shoes. If the Marlins are really contending that n 2020 or whatever year, how angry would you be if they traded a valuable prospect for a Dietrich like player ?

Exactly what Song said. If, somehow, Dietrich [in a weird miraculous trade] got us a top prospect, and the team that acquired Dietrich made it to and then won the World Series due in some part to Dietrich's performance, then they wouldn't be angry at all. They won a title!

However if they traded a top prospect for Dietrich, then they went on to win the World Series due in some part to Dietrich's performance, and then Dietrich said "I love @SongInTheAir and think he's a great guy," then absolutely I would be as angry as I was when I found out I was on the same board as @SongInTheAir.

We’re not getting a Top Prospect for Deitrich .  We can’t even get a Top Prospect for JT Realmuto.

Exactly.  This is the entire argument. The argument isn’t “if team x acquires DD and wins the WS they’ll be happy”. No kidding.  We are evaluating trade potential and fallout today not in November with the benefit of hindsight. 

DD isn’t fetching a good haul for us and if he did then the other GM is drunk