2018-2019 Off-Season Thread

Reports came out denying it and that the offer starts with a 2 which means 200 million +

Seems like they aren't budging on the years (which it's about damn time, signing these players to decade long guaranteed contracts is beyond stupid, soooo many unknowns) but the money is supposedly 7 yrs 210M or so.

That’s because Manny Machado’s agent said that. He disputed the reports of 7/175. He has a reason to dispute it though so I am not sure I believe him.

That’s because Manny Machado’s agent said that. He disputed the reports of 7/175. He has a reason to dispute it though so I am not sure I believe him.

So far this off-season I would say there have been more false rumors, than true rumors. Personally I don't think anything is going to happen until it does in fact happen.

Dropping stantons deal and getting machado at 7 and 200M.... is that a win for this franchise or is it still a farce?

Well, when the Marlins traded Stanton, he was potentially owed a minimum of $295M over 11 years (I say potentially because of both the opt-out, and the last year is a team option of $25M, but a buyout of 10M), or $310M if the option were exercised.

So it's a win of 3 years/$95M or 3/110 over Stanton (presuming a 7/200 deal for Machado, and that Stanton doesn't opt out).

Dropping stantons deal and getting machado at 7 and 200M.... is that a win for this franchise or is it still a farce?

Well it also brings up a different angle on the Stanton trade because free agents aren’t getting as much these days. JD Martinez certainly didn’t come with Stanton’s pedigree, but he got 5 years/$110M ($22M per). If Machado ends up in the 7-8 years, $25-$28M per year neighborhood, then what do we think? Because Machado might even have a better pedigree than Stanton. The less money they get, the more impressive it was to have moved that contract.

Weren't there other sources that also backed up that claim and said that Olney's numbers were too low? Call me crazy but if the best offer for Manny was 7 yrs for 175M, maybe the Marlins wouldn't jump in but I'm pretty sure other teams would've. Which is why I agree with the agent and other sources. 

I don't follow this very closely, just sorta close. Like how close I keep track of my ex after that restraining order. Because I feel Manny and Bryce are holding back the JT market a little. Teams feel really hesitant to take the plunge this offseason.

Because I feel Manny and Bryce are holding back the JT market a little. Teams feel really hesitant to take the plunge this offseason.

My guess is not that they’re hesitant to take the plunge, but rather the market has shifted. Teams want to give out less money, and players still want more money. It often takes a while for agreements to happen where there are mismatched expectations.

Weren't there other sources that also backed up that claim and said that Olney's numbers were too low? Call me crazy but if the best offer for Manny was 7 yrs for 175M, maybe the Marlins wouldn't jump in but I'm pretty sure other teams would've. Which is why I agree with the agent and other sources. 

I don't follow this very closely, just sorta close. Like how close I keep track of my ex after that restraining order. Because I feel Manny and Bryce are holding back the JT market a little. Teams feel really hesitant to take the plunge this offseason.

The "other sources" were his agent speaking out and claiming that wasn't real/they had higher offers.  It's his job to go out and get the highest offer, so while it may ultimately be true, it's hard to take his word at face value when his job is to do what he can to get higher offers.

So, total speculation / prediction here, I think Stanton will opt out after 2020 and return here. It'd be a win-win for him - he liked Miami, and when he comes back he'll have playoff experience and stronger leadership qualities (one would hope). Plus if he produces well, then he gets an even larger contract. It could happen!

So, total speculation / prediction here, I think Stanton will opt out after 2020 and return here. It'd be a win-win for him - he liked Miami, and when he comes back he'll have playoff experience and stronger leadership qualities (one would hope). Plus if he produces well, then he gets an even larger contract. It could happen!

Would be a cool story but I dunno. 

Really !?

Didn't Samson say that G wanted the hell outta Miami and only signed because it was an offer he'd have been a fool not to sign?

Didn't Samson say that G wanted the hell outta Miami and only signed because it was an offer he'd have been a fool not to sign?

While Michael was only making a prediction... Stanton never said he hated playing in the city of Miami so if he wanted to leave it was probably a combination of hating playing on losing teams and for bad ownership... so with that in mind if the new ownership turns this place into a winner then why wouldn't Stanton entertain playing here again if the timing is right? He also likely still has his home here too. The stars would have to align perfectly for it to happen but I wouldn't say G is dead set on ever playing here again. 

No chance he opts out because that money in the back end he isnt coming close to sniffing on the open market.

Eh, I find that hard to believe.  It'd be a nice story, but I doubt it.

No chance he opts out because that money in the back end he isnt coming close to sniffing on the open market.

Yeah, I don't know if he gets that much on the market, plus, do we really think he'd get more than that from US?