Realmuto traded to Phillies

Erick

A. This team really need JT to stay long term, just see what Posey and Molina do to their champion team.

B. Why not give him more as the bonus for his sacrifice of his prime time to this rebuilding team ?

C. It's not only showing JT and his agent how this team treating the most important player of the team, all the young players of this team and the fans all seeing what happens.

D. It's the first time this regime got the chance to spend serious money on serious player, if it's their stance to the key players of the team, then we would seeing them trade player one by one.

JTs request was absurd and was nowhere close to a realistic number. Marlins offer is low but closer to what a deal should be. There was way too much room between the offers to make up. There’s fault on both sides but I think we can still say JT didn’t want to stay if his reported request is accurate. There’s no way the Marlins should have offered that much.

JTs request was absurd and was nowhere close to a realistic number.

If he truly doesn't wanna stay and threw out a super high number just for the shits of it I dont blame him because he has the right to not stay here longterm but if the team is throwing out a lower number and doesnt really wanna keep him as much as they say I'm not cool with that.

It's a double standard I know. 

The offer from the Marlins wasn’t THAT far off from a fair offer. JT’s request was absurdly far from a fair offer.

That being said, the Marlins should have made a fair offer and then let him decline it.

We also again should take both side's offers as questionable. Each one may have been leaked and misreported by the other side to make their case look better.

If we offer a much "fair" contract in the July then maybe he signed in that time.

Maybe JT and his agent were just irritated by those "lowballing offers" and since then the relationship between two camps was just totally destroyed.

Many people think JT just want to leave and asking for too much money, but he was "open minded" in the season when asked about the extension, but now we even have no chance to know he would accept a fair offer or not ? want to stay here or not ? those lowballing offers were really not respect the player.

The offer from the Marlins wasn’t THAT far off from a fair offer. JT’s request was absurdly far from a fair offer.

That being said, the Marlins should have made a fair offer and then let him decline it.

We also again should take both side's offers as questionable. Each one may have been leaked and misreported by the other side to make their case look better.

I said this on another forum:

I'm sure the truth lies in the middle of both parties - The numbers the Marlins supposedly offered probably are true, but were likely intended as a lowball starting point (hey let's throw it out there and see if he bites....if he does, they got themselves an awesome deal, if not, go back to the table. That said, it can also be insulting if they went too low (and it sounds like they did). On the flip side, the Posey number from JT's camp probably is also accurate - they're shooting for the moon too in the other direction. That fits in with Frisaro's comments that they were really far apart, and also supports the agent's comments about him likely being somewhere else next year since they're so far apart. What needs to happen in order for a chance at getting a deal done - primarily from the Marlins side - is for both sides to come back to some sort of reality in their demands/offers. The Marlins' offer was way too low, and JT's number was way too high. If they can both be more realistic, and come closer to the offers mentioned in this thread (I think they were like 4/70 or 5/80-85), then I think we could see something happen. But if both sides are just going to draw their line in the sand and not budge, well, JT is gone.

I worry that the team thinks they can just lowball everybody (going forward) because "hey, we're giving you an extension!" Obviously that can work with some younger guys, but with more established players like JT, you can go too low and insult them.

I worry that the team thinks they can just lowball everybody (going forward) because "hey, we're giving you an extension!"

Yea this is my thing... screw JT, I'm down to trade him... I'm just worried that this is a sign of how this team will do business down the line. Will they really spend when the time is right?

https://www.fishstripes.com/2018/12/3/18124429/marlins-jt-realmuto-contract-extension-figures-negotiations-report-financial-details

"Following Mish’s report, team sources told Fish Stripes that their “final offer” was never presented to Realmuto. His camp “chose not to continue conversing” towards a solution."

I bet we would never know what that "final offer" would be…it's just a shame.

"Following Mish’s report, team sources told Fish Stripes that their “final offer” was never presented to Realmuto. His camp “chose not to continue conversing” towards a solution."

I bet we would never know what that "final offer" would be…it's just a shame.

It is possible their "final offer" would have been around 5/80 considering the earlier offers. But I guess we'll never know because that is how these things work.

It is possible their "final offer" would have been around 5/80 considering the earlier offers. But I guess we'll never know because that is how these things work.

That's just it, though.  I think you have to make your "final offer" regardless and if they don't respond still, oh well, you can still have that narrative, "hey, we offered x years/y dollars, he didn't even respond to our competitive offer."

Right now it just looks like they low-balled him (even if it's closer to reality than JT's demands), he turned them down, and they just put their tail between their legs and went home.