2019 MLB Draft, Marlins pick 4th, select OF JJ Bleday

My only concern with Bleday would be that hitch he has in his swing - I think Harold Reynolds also pointed it out.

First thing first, Harold Reynolds is a blithering idiot, never listen to him. He thought home runs weren't factored into slugging percentage, then when corrected, thought they counted the same as doubles.

Anywho - his "hitch" seems to just be his hands going back as is front foot goes forward. That's perfectly fine.

I see Joe F and others making reference to "hit tool players".  What does this mean?  Players who can hit?

The hit tool is something you get long lasting jobs in front offices for.

Hoping and praying for power hitters to be consistently making good contact or speed guys learning how to make consistent contact are big risk big reward.

Having the hit tool already is pretty damn nice and gets you to the big leagues

This line I agree on. Draft arms and trade for bats as needed.

Is that still the case though? Seems like it's been working better of late, but I don't have the data in front of me to confirm that. Mostly just going on the recent run. Feels like our pitchers are pitching more towards the shift behind them finally.

Not to my knowledge, no. Does not mean they didn't, of course, I Just don't know!

Abrams fast? Faster?!

This line I agree on. Draft arms and trade for bats as needed.

Is that still the case though? Seems like it's been working better of late, but I don't have the data in front of me to confirm that. Mostly just going on the recent run. Feels like our pitchers are pitching more towards the shift behind them finally.

Not to my knowledge, no. Does not mean they didn't, of course, I Just don't know!

Abrams fast? Faster?!

Abrams ran  the 60 yards dash in 6.29...Nunez ran it in 6.28 about the same I guess

Abrams ran  the 60 yards dash in 6.29...Nunez ran it in 6.28 about the same I guess

To be  totally honest I am more impressed with Nunez arm...he has recorded triple digit velocity on his throws across the Diamond. When he tested for PG he threw 95 MPH and he had just pitched the day before so he indicated he really wasn't  throwing that hard

Well dang. I like all of it.

Going back and looking at the Marlins draft, it got interesting on Day 2 and you can see the approach...

They loaded up on college seniors.  

Why?  It allows them to go well over slot to sign their top 3 picks.

College seniors have little bargaining power, even in rounds 4!  I expect all college seniors to be signed for well under slot and seeing that money allocated to the top 3 picks or even that 5th round prep pick.

Just food for thought.

Also if the Marlins were busy picking college seniors at the back end of the Day 2, is there any reason they didnt just start plucking college infielders as opposed to outfielders?  

I mean a system with many outfield prospects just added 5 out of 11 picks on the first two days.

and before anyone says anything generally college seniors are considered organizational depth building.  

So hopefully today on Day 3 you see the Marlins load up on infield prospects because quite frankly, there is a pretty big hole in terms of infield prospect depth in the system.

wait until you see how they employ the shift across all levels of the org.

First thing first, Harold Reynolds is a blithering idiot, never listen to him. He thought home runs weren't factored into slugging percentage, then when corrected, thought they counted the same as doubles.

Anywho - his "hitch" seems to just be his hands going back as is front foot goes forward. That's perfectly fine.

i didn't like his swing before Reynolds mentioned it.  I would have taken Bleday in that slot though too as BPA - he just looks like he has a lot of moving parts in his swing which can lead to a lengthy swing which in turn usually leads to shitty performance that doesnt translate to the bigs.  The giant power spike by using that exact same swing also concerns me as again, im not sold on how well he'll be able to adjust if he can't use it going forward. 

Not trying to argue the pick as again, I would have taken Bleday as well. I do find Nunez to be intriguing.