Dombrowski joins Nashville baseball group

Admin

9 minutes ago, fanofthefish said:

Nashville has already traded away their farm system to win now if Dombrowski continues his ways like he did in Detroit and Boston, or if he remembers how to build a team like with the Fish he'll be a World Series champ in 5 years 

Seems like he'll be part of the ownership group by what's stated, though, not the GM? Who knows.

4 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Guesses on which is more likely between expansion or relocation to Nashville? I'd imagine the Rays going to Nashville is the most likely scenario at this point. 

That's a good question - initially I was leaning toward expansion, as it's a way to inject funds into the game with lost revenues from this year, and there's already a group working on getting Nashville a team (obviously).  I guess it depends on how viable MLB still thinks that idiotic split city plan is.

33 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

That's a good question - initially I was leaning toward expansion, as it's a way to inject funds into the game with lost revenues from this year, and there's already a group working on getting Nashville a team (obviously).  I guess it depends on how viable MLB still thinks that idiotic split city plan is.

There's no way that split city plan goes anywhere. Normally I'd say expansion is the way to go too but the Rays situation is so bad that I can see MLB insisting on relocating them before expansion. It would actually be pretty unfair to the Rays to expand and leave them in the dust especially considering how well run that organization is run despite all their challenges. Ideally we get the Rays a new ballpark and expansion right behind that as well.

11 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

There's no way that split city plan goes anywhere. Normally I'd say expansion is the way to go too but the Rays situation is so bad that I can see MLB insisting on relocating them before expansion. It would actually be pretty unfair to the Rays to expand and leave them in the dust especially considering how well run that organization is run despite all their challenges. Ideally we get the Rays a new ballpark and expansion right behind that as well.

I agree.  There's also that group that wants to bring a team to Portland.

On 7/6/2020 at 5:57 PM, fanofthefish said:

Nashville has already traded away their farm system to win now if Dombrowski continues his ways like he did in Detroit and Boston, or if he remembers how to build a team like with the Fish he'll be a World Series champ in 5 years 

Well...

Mission accopmlished in Boston though.  Then the ownership got cheap.

Expansion happens within the next 5 years now.  I'd say about an 80% chance it happens.

Rays are probably moving out of Tampa if at all possible.  I think everyone is frustrated and fed up with the situation and Covid may be the breaking point end of day.

I know MLB wants Montreal to happen.

Another team on the west coast makes some sense.

Montreal

Nashville

(west coast)

Figure out the alignment.

29 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Expansion happens within the next 5 years now.  I'd say about an 80% chance it happens.

Rays are probably moving out of Tampa if at all possible.  I think everyone is frustrated and fed up with the situation and Covid may be the breaking point end of day.

I know MLB wants Montreal to happen.

Another team on the west coast makes some sense.

Montreal

Nashville

(west coast)

Figure out the alignment.

Vancouver for West Coast team?

OK looking at a map, East/West Leagues really aren't feasible. Lol. Man the Northeastern cluster is crazy.

Either way, they could realign to make travel a lot easier. Remove interleague as well. Someone once had a great idea to drop the schedule to 160 games where you play your intra-division opponents 16 times (this is with 8-team divisions) and your intra-league but interdivisional opponents 6 times. That'd work really well, cut down travel time, etc.

There could be one large Western division with eight teams right now: the 5 California teams, Seattle, Arizona, Colorado. there's just one divisional idea.

I'll have to look more closely at it later.

53 minutes ago, Michael said:

OK looking at a map, East/West Leagues really aren't feasible. Lol. Man the Northeastern cluster is crazy.

Either way, they could realign to make travel a lot easier. Remove interleague as well. Someone once had a great idea to drop the schedule to 160 games where you play your intra-division opponents 16 times (this is with 8-team divisions) and your intra-league but interdivisional opponents 6 times. That'd work really well, cut down travel time, etc.

There could be one large Western division with eight teams right now: the 5 California teams, Seattle, Arizona, Colorado. there's just one divisional idea.

I'll have to look more closely at it later.

Are you saying drop the NL and AL then?

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Are you saying drop the NL and AL then?

Basically. Just make geographic divisions!

Talked it over a little with @SongInTheAir.

West: Giants, Athletics, Padres, Angels, Dodgers, Diamondbacks, Mariners, and Vancouver or Portland expansion team.

Midwest: Rockies, Tigers, Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals, Royals, Brewers, Twins.

Southeast: Marlins, Rays, Astros, Rangers, Braves, Orioles, Nationals, Nashville expansion team.

Northeast: Reds, "Indians", Pirates, Phillies, Blue Jays, Red Sox, Yankees, Mets.

It could work, geographically cuts down travel a bunch and each division can still be fairly competitive.

Still say no interleague but if it's just MLB with four divisions, things could work well with the very rare cross-country games every three years.

16 games against each divisional opponent and six games against each team in another division. It's doable. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

8 team divisions.  Yikes.  But obviously you'd have multiple teams from each division making playoffs.

What, 2 from each division, scrapping the wild card?

Could be one from each division and four wild cards. 🤷‍♂️ or eight wild cards, best four teams sit out the first round. Kinda like NFL.