8/25 Post GameS Thread

Michael

DOUBLE

HEADER

SHUT OUT

SWEEP!

Brian Anderson with like 50 doubles today.

Jon Berti with the walk, steal of second, steal of third, and steal of home in game 2 - that was so bonkers.

Kudos to the pitching today, obviously. Castano and Rogers with the starts of at least four innings each, Josh A Smith in relief giving us a pair of shutout innings, Box, Kintzler, and Vincent each with a shutout inning, and of course, the MVP of game 1, one pitch for the win RICHARD BLEIER!

• Like 2

Minervini asked a question to Mattingly in the post game and I like Donnie's answer. Craig asked if it means something to the them when they beat teams that have historically given them fits like the Nationals but Donnie said the players don't really think about the past and just plan forward to each game and just try to win each game.

This seems like a simple and obvious answer but I thought it was worth mentioning because how many times do broadcasters show old stats and make a big stink about things like "oh they haven't won a series here since 2014... Pablo had an 8.50 era against the Nats in 2019... oh they haven't beaten this pitcher since two seasons ago... oh they haven't swept a double header since..." and so on and so on.

I get that a broadcast gives you that info to form a story to discuss during the game but no smart player looks at any of that crap in preparation for each day's game because it's so damn irrelevant. 

• Like 3

Man...both of those rookie pitchers looked good.  And if Sixto makes his mark too?  What even is this pitching rotation?

Of the rotation right now, who do you guys think should stay up and who do we send down/put in bullpen/DFA? 

Shoot, looking over the roster is a doozy for someone who's just been casually following the past two years...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Minervini asked a question to Mattingly in the post game and I like Donnie's answer. Craig asked if it means something to the them when they beat teams that have historically given them fits like the Nationals but Donnie said the players don't really think about the past and just plan forward to each game and just try to win each game.

This seems like a simple and obvious answer but I thought it was worth mentioning because how many times do broadcasters show old stats and make a big stink about things like "oh they haven't won a series here since 2014... Pablo had an 8.50 era against the Nats in 2019... oh they haven't beaten this pitcher since two seasons ago... oh they haven't swept a double header since..." and so on and so on.

I get that a broadcast gives you that info to form a story to discuss during the game but no smart player looks at any of that crap in preparation for each day's game because it's so damn irrelevant. 

I agree to an extent - obviously the players aren't sitting there like you said thinking about "oh we haven't won a series against them since X"  but as people, the guys naturally know they've not had a lot of success recently against team A, B or C in general.

7 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I agree to an extent - obviously the players aren't sitting there like you said thinking about "oh we haven't won a series against them since X"  but as people, the guys naturally know they've not had a lot of success recently against team A, B or C in general.

Depends though. Because a team like the Marlins in 2020 have so much roster turnover that how many of these guys were even on the Marlins during their recent bad runs in Nationals Park? They say things like that and then there's Villar Aguilar Dickerson Joyce and others and it's like this bit of info doesn't even apply.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Depends though. Because a team like the Marlins in 2020 have so much roster turnover that how many of these guys were even on the Marlins during their recent bad runs in Nationals Park? They say things like that and then there's Villar Aguilar Dickerson Joyce and others and it's like this bit of info doesn't even apply.

Yeah, you're right.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I like it because it shows that it's a different era. This organization is showing that's it's moving forward into trying to be a real contender. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.